Welcome to the Samsung Epic 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember if I had an earlier thread on this, but this time, I can sticky it. The title says all!

Oops, I forgot to introduce myself. I've been a member here since July 11th and I must say that back then, it was crazy. I was only an Android Nanite/Beginner and there were some trolls out there. I could not do anything about it except contact the mods. So, if any of you have a problem with a person, report it immediately to either namebrandon, ragnarokx, or me and we'll deal with it. Also, Cory Streater (the admin) is available a lot and if for some reason, we can't take care of it, just contact him.

I have an Evo, but I had an Epic. For people looking at either of the phones, I can't really give you a choice as they are both excellent. The Epic is just as wonderful as the Evo in it's own ways and both should be respected. Unfortunately, the human mind tends to side with what it has instead of looking at the big picture and we've had some pretty nasty flame wars. Just be careful, but most importantly, I hope you enjoy AC and once again, welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrygaza

signothefish

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Glad to join the community here, caliskimmer. I'm loving the Epic 4G. After switching from the tired old WM6.5, this gives me something to really get excited about. Sure, there are some games that I miss, but the good far outweighs the bad. Now if only my wife would let me use my phone more often.

keekah

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Hii. I'm new here. I don't have an android phone just yet but I am upgrading next week and its a tie between the epic or the evo. I am leaning more toward the epic because of the oh so gorgeous screen and because it has a keyboard. I am coming from a palm pre so my concern is how good is the keyboard? It just seems so huge compared to my pre keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome guys! Glad to have you.

Hii. I'm new here. I don't have an android phone just yet but I am upgrading next week and its a tie between the epic or the evo. I am leaning more toward the epic because of the oh so gorgeous screen and because it has a keyboard. I am coming from a palm pre so my concern is how good is the keyboard? It just seems so huge compared to my pre keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

The keyboard is pretty nice. Spacious, five rows of keys, and it's comfortable. You should try it out at the Sprint store to see if you agree. Honestly even if you don't like the keyboard, swype is so good I could probably go without physical keys.

keekah

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Welcome guys! Glad to have you.

The keyboard is pretty nice. Spacious, five rows of keys, and it's comfortable. You should try it out at the Sprint store to see if you agree. Honestly even if you don't like the keyboard, swype is so good I could probably go without physical keys.

Yea. That's why my other choice was the evo. It just seems more solid. Its such a tough decision.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yea. That's why my other choice was the evo. It just seems more solid. Its such a tough decision.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

The main reason I went for the Epic was the amazing screen and better CPU/GPU. But I'm sure you'll make the right choice *cough* Epic *cough* :p

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

Im new here but not new to Android or Epic/Evo. I was spending way to much time at Androidforums.com and the over moderation there just got the best of me and I had to leave. I hear great things about this forum and sure hope its more fun than the other place. :)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Ya'llz gotta get yourself into the welcome thread! Moving now...

EDIT: Yeah, he definitely got move alright. :D

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Epic+Swype=drool lol

I still chose Evo for sentimental reasons (sniff, I miss my June Evo. You'll never be forgotten!). Also, the Epic did not get me the same fame the Instinct did. The choice was way too difficult, but eventually I had to own one, but have an Epic at hand as well.

Palm-a-PREciation

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Epic yet....I'm currently using a Palm Pre. We decided to get our daughter a phone for Christmas, and instead of getting her a Pixie, I decided to have her line become my line (I'm not attached to the phone number anyway).....and get myself either an Evo or Epic.....I'm leaning heavily towards the Epic though for the screen, keyboard, swype, and I like the layout of the apps going side to side vs up and down, and I like that the Epic has more rounded corners vs the Evo......but there's a lot to be liked about the Evo (I've decided both are GREAT phones, it just comes down to personal preference)

I hope to get my new phone in a month or less.....gotta tell you, it's killing me not to just get the phone NOW....but we don't need that 3rd line until Christmas, so we'd be paying out the extra money for no reason if I did it now.....but I'm thinking by Thanksgiving so it's only 1 extra month (and I know that it's all set up), should be fine!

keekah

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. I'm just ready to start playing with something new. I've always said I'd never want an android phone but I never really used one for a very long period of time. webOs has been good to me and I LOVE it. But its time to see what the big hype is about android. I'm gonna give it a chance and see what I'm missing out on.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

pbuakong23

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
1st time to a cell phone that i have to slide. just got this 4 days ago. and yesterday i just learn how to pick my call. i had to slide the green arrow upward to answer. before then, i try to tap and my calls became missed call. i thought my phone was broken. lol

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I made a huge leap from a t-mobile SideKick to the Epic. I was originally planning on the Evo but none of the Sprint Stores within a 150 miles of me had it. I went to Sprint online and they were also sold out. The sprint store here told me that they and 2 Epics in stock and that I should really come by and look at one. I was hooked. What a beautiful screen lots of apps and Swipe! I couldn't be happier with my phone or service.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone that provided useful info on the Epic. I upgraded a few days ago from my Blackberry Tour, and offficially joined this forum. I have been very impressed with the call quality. I love the responsiveness, and the internet experience really makes Blackberry look shamefully bad. The signal strength is better than any phone I've owned.

There are still several shortfalls. The battery life is terrible, and I am equally disappointed in how long it takes to charge a dead battery (3.5 hours). This makes having 1 or 2 spares a necessity. I wish it integrated better with outlook, but google's outlook migration tool helped at least get my PIM moved over easily.

I am very happy with the overall performance, and once I get the stumbling, fumbling, bumbling out of the way, I will even like it more. Great info on this site! Thanks again.

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to introduce myself. Currently I have an Epic (as primary), a pre, and a centro. Recently I started deving just a little. I hope to create quality apps for everyone some day. For what its worth my first app worked correctly however basic(not published). I have also started to take HDR photos with my Epic. And I just started a help all business via my Epic. I get endless questions about this and that regarding computers and other electronics. Many of them are duplicated. So now I post on facebook to friends and family little short tips to help all. If anyone has questions or likes general tips feel free to follow me on twitter @ kraisydave
Thanks to Android Central for a great website/forum and podcasts that I cannot get enough of.

Dave

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome guys!

There are still several shortfalls. The battery life is terrible, and I am equally disappointed in how long it takes to charge a dead battery (3.5 hours). This makes having 1 or 2 spares a necessity. I wish it integrated better with outlook, but google's outlook migration tool helped at least get my PIM moved over easily.

You might want to take a look at this thread. My battery life was terrible at first also, but after much fine-tuning it has improved greatly.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to all the n00bs! I still consider myself in the n00b category even though I have ~150 posts... been here since August when I was waiting on the Epic... like everyone else

**patiently waiting on Froyo**

(link posted for anyone out there {edit: me} who didn't know {edit: or just discovered} that FROYO = FROzen YOgurt)

:cool: :p

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Welcome guys!

You might want to take a look at this thread. My battery life was terrible at first also, but after much fine-tuning it has improved greatly.

Thanks for the tip! I will try some of the suggestions in the linked thread and see if it helps. Seems like Samsung will figure out the DRM problem and provide an update. I'm hoping 2.2 will provide greater efficiency.

Balzak

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi!

Hi!... My name is Mike and I havent used webOS in 3 hours....

Picked up my Epic today and Im really impresses so far. Ive messed with my wifes the last few days since she got hers so the learning curve isnt to bad. Looks like its going to be a long night playing with it :) Ive already learned a lot from this site and will probably wear out the search function. Thanks all who have been so helpful so far.