Buy insurance for your epic..no more instore warranty repairs/replacements

d94

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many people are aware, but as of tomorrow sprint is changing its service and repair program thus stopping in-store warranty work, your phone will only get repaired/replaced at a service center if you have TEP, otherwise you will have to go directly through Samsung which has a 17 business day turn-around time. If you do have TEP physical damage will be covered (cracked screens ext.), batteries will be covered..everything short of water damage and damaged beyond repair (aka the main board is broken) with no deductable

Last edited:

zetterwing

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Good thing I already have the insurance. I didn't know that they fixed cracked screens etc. at the service centers though. Unfortunately there is still the $100 deductible if it has water damage.

Balzak

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Good point. I was reading a Sprint forum and this whole thing is very confusing. I think you summed it up pretty well though.

d94

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Good thing I already have the insurance. I didn't know that they fixed cracked screens etc. at the service centers though. Unfortunately there is still the $100 deductible if it has water damage.

Yep, its just starting tomorrow..as of today cracks screens are still a $100 deductible. If anyone has questions ask away, my S&R rep just explained this whole thing to me a few hours ago.

d94

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they got hit from all the Pre returns.
they stopped covering warranty repairs because customer satisfaction didn't improve. the new stuff being covered is to improve customer satisfaction and to showcase how much better sprints service and repair program is over the competitors..so if you crack your epic screen its free to fix. apple = $200

so what will i have to pay the deductible for? basically a replacement phone but replacement parts and whatnot are covered?

You will only pay a deductible if your device is water damaged or damaged beyond repair (DBR) which basically means your main board is cracked in half/bent/busted. Your device will get replaced for free if the store doesn't have the screen in stock to do the repair on the spot

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting. I was just re-reading the TEP policy today. I've always had insurance on my phones. Just makes good sense for $7 a month. or is it more now? I don't even remember.

cocochannelle

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
the thing is when your screen crack with the EPic it doesnt work at all. My sceen cracked last week. they called it a spider crack and they say they coudnt repair it so I have to go with insurion. I yelled at them and said I didnt do anything wrong to the phone and it didnt fall or anything so they replaced it in the store. I was past my 30 days.
Now im just very paranoid that the screen will crack again and they wont replace it cause they said it was a "once time courtesy

d94

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
the thing is when your screen crack with the EPic it doesnt work at all. My sceen cracked last week. they called it a spider crack and they say they coudnt repair it so I have to go with insurion. I yelled at them and said I didnt do anything wrong to the phone and it didnt fall or anything so they replaced it in the store. I was past my 30 days.
Now im just very paranoid that the screen will crack again and they wont replace it cause they said it was a "once time courtesy
before it was a $100 deductible as of today (oct 23) its now covered :)

BrianFX

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how many people are aware, but as of tomorrow sprint is changing its service and repair program thus stopping in-store warranty work, your phone will only get repaired/replaced at a service center if you have TEP
I thought this was always the case? No service or repair at the Sprint shops outside of the first 30-days of ownership unless you have TEP. It was different up until yesterday?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
yikes... i think ill be keeping my hero then. I just got my replacement epic yesterday. If they aren't going to cover manufacturer defects anymore, then no point in selling my backup phone

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
they are still covering manufactures defects at the store as long as you have the insurance. if not then yes your outta luck. only makes sense to me to have the insurance.

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there a link to an official statement from Sprint about this? It looks like they haven't updated the web site yet.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
A few years back, the directional button on my Centro broke. I thought I had insurance, in fact when i activated the phone I didn't want it but the customer service agent kept bugging me to get it so i said yes. When that broke, turns out i did not have insurance. It was still under warranty, sprint handled the warranty with a replacement phone, but I had to pay like a 30-40 dollar fee. This was about 2 years ago, so im not sure if they still do things like that.

Insurance is def worth it though.

ThomasT626

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the insurance is definitely worth getting. When I got my Epic, I told the guy I didn't want insurance and then he did his sales pitch. Good thing he did though, because not long ago a guy stormed out because his phone was messed up and they told him he'd have to get insurance. He obviously didn't want it and left with an attitude (wah wah). Definitely worth it, at least for an expensive device like the Epic.

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
PDF added to 1st post!

Thank you for that. Sounds like the plan actually became worthwhile. I'm glad I got it added to my phone during my 30 window.

I noticed it lists prices for things if you don't have tep. But are those the actual repair fees or do you pay those plus the cost of parts & labor? Doesn't seem very clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome