Exchanging Epic. What is the best overall Backup solution?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am going to be exchanging my Epic. This is the first time I will be doing something like this on an Android device, so I wanted to ask you folks about a good backup solution. First of all, all my contacts are on gmail, so I believe I don't need to worry about contacts backup. But I have many apps whose settings I would need backed up, especially the progress in games. I am quite far into the Assassins Creed and Angry Birds and don't want to loose my progress when I reinstall these games. So is there a overall backup solution (for non-rooted devices), which would backup my app settings, games progress, SMS/MMS, alarms etc?? If its a really good backup app with good features, I don't mind paying for it either.

I have Astro, but I dont know if its app backup feature backs up settings.

anon(64661)

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
There is an app in the market called "Titanium Backup"

Your phone needs to be rooted to use this program.

Install that then once it is running, hit the menu and select "Batch"

From there run "Backup all user apps"

That's all.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks OutKLaw, I heard many good things about Titanium, and I will sure start using it when I root my phone. For now, I am new to Android, have never rooted/un-rooted my phone before and need to immediately exchange my device. I dont want to start learning how to root the device just to install Titanium and then un-root it before returning it to store in short time no. When I get my new device, will sure spend time rooting it. But for now, I need something that works without rooting. Really appreciate your suggestion though.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A program similar to Titanium Backup that does not require root is MyBackup Pro - it will backup your app data so things like your game progress/scores should be preserved. There is a free version, but if you want to restore on a different phone than you backed up from you'll need the paid version. I've used it to restore Angry Birds after I flashed a ROM and it kept all my scores.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ragnarokx, I was browsing though App Market and this is what caught my eye too. It has good reviews, so will give it a try. Thank you.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to do a hard reset on mine to see if I can get any gps or battery improvement, and want to make sure of the steps before I erase everything:

1) Download "MyBackup"
2) Run "MyBackup", saving Applications & Data to the sd card.
3) Factory reset phone.
4) Once back up, reinstall "MyBackup" from the app store, and run "Restore"? or do you navigate the sd card to find the "LastBackup" file and click it?

...and then everything will be put back just as it was prior to the reset?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to do a hard reset on mine to see if I can get any gps or battery improvement, and want to make sure of the steps before I erase everything:

1) Download "MyBackup"
2) Run "MyBackup", saving Applications & Data to the sd card.
3) Factory reset phone.
4) Once back up, reinstall "MyBackup" from the app store, and run "Restore"? or do you navigate the sd card to find the "LastBackup" file and click it?

...and then everything will be put back just as it was prior to the reset?

You will need to restore using the MyBackup app, not directly with the SD card. It will not put *everything* back as it was - you will have to manually change your systems settings, home screen icons, etc. but it does backup apps and their data.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to post my experience here MyBackup Pro. I backed up all my data and apps using this software. While it restored everything from my system settings to call logs fine, it did not restore my app settings. I lost all the progress I had made in Angry Birds :( ..... It also did not restore my contacts somehow. Pretty sad..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney