Google contacts are all mixed up

morettiman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Has any one experienced your gmail & FB contacts completely messed up. For example, some contacts went away, while others now have pictures associated with the wrong person. Not sure if it is a google thing. Went into gmail and checked contacts and noticed the same thing. REALLY SUCKS!!!! If you find out any info email me: morettiman@gmail.com
THANK YOU!
Steve

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
do you have the latest facebook app? make sure to update
are all your contacts messed up online too? for example, when you sign into gmail on the computer and look at your contacts - are all the pictures and stuff missing?

or do you save your contacts onto phone?
if so its a good idea to save it onto google. so if you ever have to do a factory reset you can easily just sign into your google account when you try to enter the android market again and itll sync your contacts for you.

this is easily done. when you enter a new contact and try to save it, it asks "save to: phone or google" click google.
i used to hit phone all the time and that caused me to lose my contacts a few times - luckily it was when i first got the phone and i only had 20 sum contacts.

morettiman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It's google that messed up. A lot of pics were associated with the wrong people....somewhow I have had the Epic since day one and never had a problem with FB or google.

I've also lost contacts in which I have had to add back. I always save to google. But for some reason, even when I log onto google contacts, a lot of them are all messed up and have random FB contact pictures associated with them.

I have no idea how or what caused this. I did notice that my phone had the sync icon in the task bar for a long time yesterday...that was a first.

Any ideas?

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
It's google that messed up. A lot of pics were associated with the wrong people....somewhow I have had the Epic since day one and never had a problem with FB or google.

I've also lost contacts in which I have had to add back. I always save to google. But for some reason, even when I log onto google contacts, a lot of them are all messed up and have random FB contact pictures associated with them.

I have no idea how or what caused this. I did notice that my phone had the sync icon in the task bar for a long time yesterday...that was a first.

Any ideas?

it was probably a problem on face books part. because i have never experienced anything like that. that sucks it deleted your contacts too. i rely on google to hold my contacts now after wiping my phone and losing contacts

other than that i really dont have a clue what else happened

rcollins001

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It is a google sync problem and I have looked for a fix but cant find one. I had pictures associated with wrong names, names associated with wrong pictures. I cleaned them up. But it was a mess

morettiman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully google figures this out. Was a complete nightmare dealing with this. Fortunately, I didn't erase my Palm Pre and was able to recover some of the important numbers I lost.

I do have Lookout, but was reluctant to restore to an earlier point after viewing my contacts on their site.

Thank you for all of your feedback!

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think its Google's problem. I don't sync contacts with Facebook or if I do I sync existing. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't, I say this because I install Roms every now and then. Since I don't use Facebook that much I only sync when I sign on.

Its gotta be Facebook. Id imagine There'd be a thread for it on Google if it was them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

mynk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing this problem on a Galaxy Nexus.

I don't think FB contacts sync at all for me so I wouldn't blame FB. In my case I see the problem in only the mobile at times.

I had this issue where the sync from mobile to google contacts in gmail was not happening. I followed steps from the net clearing the app data on the mobile after taking the backup.

My guess this problem could be with -

1. After I restore the backup I usually do a Find and Merge Duplicates. I see upto 500 contacts being merged. I don't understand what really is being merged from the details. I am assuming it should be base on the meail ID or the number which are both unique and there can't be a goof up. But I see that a wrong email ID is seen now and then. This also leads to connecting with the wrong G+ profile. I suspect it could be G+ also.

2. Smartr - I installed this to manage the 5000 odd contacts I have. It looks like an inoccuous application. More importantly the contacts look intact on this app. It is on google app I see the problems.

3. Google Contacts app - I believe it is purely a sync issue in the google app mostly coz each time I clean up the app data and do a fresh sync I see different users being mixed up. Both smarter and gmail contacts are fine. Only the mobile seems tob e in trouble. Sometimes I see these problems trickle to the other places but that is fixed as soon as I clear the app data.

Is this the place to report such issues? If not kindly let me know where I should post. I was so frustrated I wanted to write an app on my own. I just might - in the process of familiarizing myself with android programming.

Please advise!
Mayank

Bruno Malveiro

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.

I think I found the solution for this problem.

Go to every account (Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook, Google, etc) and uncheck the option to sync contacts.
Go to Apps -> All -> And clear the cache and app data of all the Apps that sync contacts (Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook, Google, etc), and also of Contacts Storage.

Go to the Google Account and check the option to sync contacts. Let the phone finish the sync. All contacts shoudl now match the online Google Contacts.

The downside of this "method" is that you have to reenter all accounts passwords...

racajay

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I think I found the solution for this problem.

Go to every account (Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook, Google, etc) and uncheck the option to sync contacts.
Go to Apps -> All -> And clear the cache and app data of all the Apps that sync contacts (Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook, Google, etc), and also of Contacts Storage.

Go to the Google Account and check the option to sync contacts. Let the phone finish the sync. All contacts shoudl now match the online Google Contacts.

The downside of this "method" is that you have to reenter all accounts passwords...

This worked for me. Thanks.

BiripaiMasterN

Dec 14, 2018
Visit site
do you have the latest facebook app? make sure to update
are all your contacts messed up online too? for example, when you sign into gmail on the computer and look at your contacts - are all the pictures and stuff missing?

or do you save your contacts onto phone?
if so its a good idea to save it onto google. so if you ever have to do a factory reset you can easily just sign into your google account when you try to enter the android market again and itll sync your contacts for you.

this is easily done. when you enter a new contact and try to save it, it asks "save to: phone or google" click google.
i used to hit phone all the time and that caused me to lose my contacts a few times - luckily it was when i first got the phone and i only had 20 sum contacts.

That made no sense, at all. I have this problem, and your post was just a waste of time. I think you are saying save contacts only to Google... not phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay