keyboard speed

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone faster typing with the regular touch screen keyboard than they are with swype. I just timed it. 11 seconds quicker on the stock android touch screen keyboard than I am with swype.

I miss my bb keyboard but I'm sticking with the touch screen keyboard versus swype now. Too many mistakes with swype. Have to go back and correct and everything. With this I get it right the first time and if I do its easier to back space and correct.

Obviously swype is faster with one hand but I just don't like it. In feel like it never knows the correct word for the most part and I have to choose the word I want too frequently.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah they can keep swype, it just doesn't work with my fat fingers. :) The android keyboard on the other hand I absolutely love, even more so than the physical keyboard which was one of the reasons I went with the Epic in the first place.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea. That's why I went with the epic too.

I've been using it for a solid 2 days now and love it.

When my fingers get hot they don't quite slide over glass. LOL

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
it depends for me. im probably the fastest with the virtual keyboard - i use smart keyboard pro, i recommend it if your a virtual keyboard person like myself; i came form the iphone.

but if i am using my index finger in swype rather than my thumb i can get going pretty fast.
and the hard keyboard im pretty good at too. but not nearly as fast as i can get going with the virtual - maybe close to or better than swype. but it takes some getting used to. for me i used to try and type with the ends of my thumb but now i feel i type faster if i just use my fat part like im giving a finger print or hitting the space key on the keybaord

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
While using both hands, virtual keyboards (either Android's stock or Smart Keyboard) have been the fastest for me so far. Way much faster than the physical keyboard on Epic. But there are still a lot of mistakes I make that I have to correct with these keyboards too. I never owned a iDevice, but I have to admit that iphone probably has the best and most accurate on-screen keyboard. I use iPhone skin on Smart Keyboard, but still make way too many mistakes.

Anybody knows of a keyboard as accurate as iPhone's??

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I think swype is much better than android keyboard in terms of convenience. For texting and searching, etc, swype let's you just use one finger or thumb to type what you need. It is ridiculous though what it ends up spitting out. I was telling my girlfriend about a song she would like called "dog days are over" and it came out as "dog farts are over". I sent it before I realized.

I think the physical keyboard is an absolute must and it allows me to type in forums, emails, long-winded texts, gchat, etc. I would not even bother chatting with people if it weren't for physical keyboard. Android keyboard makes too many mistakes as well and you can't feel the keys beneath your thumbs.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am faster with hard keyboard than any of the Virtual kb.
I am loving swype. it is fast! I have become quite good at it, and use my stock kb less.

I use hard kb mostly for composing e-mails.
Swype for everything else.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
While using both hands, virtual keyboards (either Android's stock or Smart Keyboard) have been the fastest for me so far. Way much faster than the physical keyboard on Epic. But there are still a lot of mistakes I make that I have to correct with these keyboards too. I never owned a iDevice, but I have to admit that iphone probably has the best and most accurate on-screen keyboard. I use iPhone skin on Smart Keyboard, but still make way too many mistakes.

Anybody knows of a keyboard as accurate as iPhone's??

coming from an iphone. the smart keyboard pro is just as accurate.

your probably either coming from a hard keyboard like the blackberry or some other keyboard. but the smart keyboard pro is perfect - it actually be classified as better. you have the long hold to select the symbol that are behind the letter unlike the iphone where you have to hit the numbers and symbols button for them to popup.
also its nice because you can setup a gesture to toggle the "arrow keyboard" which is a nice addition on android because it makes it easier to select text in my opinion. theres no purpose for this on the iphone beacuse it has the best "select and copy" implementation on any smartphone

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone who uses the regular android keyboard find that it adds random words to the user dictionary?

For example mine has added Your with the capitalized y. So, when the keyboard auto corrects it will automatically opt for Your instead of your.

Is there something I'm doing wrong for it to get added? All I do is type. I don't click on anything else.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Its happening on the auto correct. Its adding it to dictionary. I don't know why. It's weird. I never hit anything to add it. Its Like when I type it as the first word and its capitalized it will add it to the dictionary and opt for it that way. Its kind of annoying.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Its happening on the auto correct. Its adding it to dictionary. I don't know why. It's weird. I never hit anything to add it. Its Like when I type it as the first word and its capitalized it will add it to the dictionary and opt for it that way. Its kind of annoying.

like just now when you typed "Like" hahah

but that sucks because theres no "delete user dictionary words" option in the settings. thats why i use smartkeyboard pro! ha

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why that user dictionary is under the device keyboard rather than being inside the android keyboard settings.

And I can't even add words into the dictionary using my keyboard. I need to actually go into user dictionary hit menu and then add them. Which is kind of dumb

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I use the swype keyboard when I'm texting with my phone laying on a table or desk. If it is a short message, then I will use the virtual keyboard. If I'm typing long emails that need to be accurate, I use the physical keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair