Froyo not till 2011?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm beginning to agree with Rangers' post above. If you look at Windows Phone 7- sure you have different device makers- but with STRICT policies on what can differentiate the phones hardware and software wise.

Mind you- WP7 is not at all what I want in a phone- but if Google did treat the OS with a bit more "Parental Concern" and allowed the device makers to simply keep the skin as an overlay that can be turned on and off like launcher pro or ADW- I think we'd have 1/2 the issues had on Android related to "fragmentation".

I could care less if Samsung fixed any of their broken crap on this phone IF I had a means to install and run stock current android OS without rooting.

I used to say be patient- give Samsung the benefit of the doubt- but the bigger issue is this hurts Google MORE! I have someone look at a droid X vs. G2 vs. Galaxy S, vs. Evo and they all work differently and casuals don't know any better. (Despite they call them all Droids) Crap like Bing hardwired into the phones like the Fascinate makes the issues even worse.

All Google phones should be able to run current stock OS until the hardware can't support it. If the device or carrier want to add a layer or apps - FINE, but we should be able to turn them off or remove them if we please.

This has now gotten out of hand and will ultimately slow Android adoption. I know plenty of people that use Android that say they're going to iphone on verizon at any cost because Android is too confusing when they upgraded from the OG Droid (stock) to the Droid X (motoblur) or other newer droid device and couldn't use it the same as before.

DJPellegrino

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
uuuum, we post to forums on Android Central, listen to the podcast, and maybe even listen live while in the chatroom. Our phones ARE our hobby, man!

Well if people get this upset with their hobby, I'm afraid to see what they are like when it comes to something more serious...such as life!

DJPellegrino

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
murso74500668 said:
the fact is... i have a problem with the people that say its all ok because easily placated people like them are the reason we get so much buggy equipment in the first place
I don't think they are easily placated...how about more tolerent? I can just see all the "I need to haveit's" getting something rushed out and buggy, just to placate them...and the complaints that bombard the forums because of the rushed buggy release!!they aren't doing you any favors.. you paid THEM for a product.. signed on for addition 2 years of service with the understanding that your equipment would be kept up to date in some fashion for a resonable amount of time.
I guess reasonable amount of time is subjective.
Also, I paid for a product that "works out the door" Hey, I'd like to get updates just as much as the next person, but to take it to the extremes...? don't need that drama...have fun or frustration with that
!

why do i still need to switch into airplane mode, kill drm and mess with my GPS 4 months after buying this phone?
Don't know...seems like it is hit or miss with these issues. one person has issues, another doesn't...If you have issues, take it in for a replacement. don't know what else to say...except, I'm sure I'll be flamed, but I haven't said a derogatory word about anyone...

Last edited by a moderator:

sanman

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I just need Bluetooth voice dialing. I'm mad at myself for buying a phone that didn't have it already. Should have held on to what I had that worked until the feature was available.

That said, I would have gone iPhone on Verizon if it had been available -- Froyo or no Froyo on Epic. Will see how 2011 develops.

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Samsung may be skipping Froyo 2.2?

Today was interesting because I drove to the Best Buy here in the Bay Area to look at the Nexus S and and one of the reps I asked, why is it taking so long for Samsung or Sprint to release Froyo 2.2? He advised me that he heard and read that Samsung is going to skip Froyo 2.2 and release to us Gingerbread 2.3. Which means that we are going to have to wait longer for an update. It would make sense because Froyo 2.2 is getting kind of old now. What do you guys think they should do?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
a few weeks ago a sprint tech support guy told me to go ahead hand put 2.2 on my phone...even told me how to find it! Ala XDA! Put it on... lost the GPS and then went back to 2.1 since the update was gonna come anyway. The Sprint guy did say that he felt that Gingerbread would be the next update for epic and that 2.2 would be skipped....kinda interesting

Why would a Sprint representative think that Froyo would be skipped in favor of Gingerbread? Samsung has already publically stated on their Twitter page that they are "have made no announcement regarding Gingerbread and are not prepared to discuss it at this time."

I suppose though it would be possible that Samsung/Sprint are quitely working on doing this.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Today was interesting because I drove to the Best Buy here in the Bay Area to look at the Nexus S and and one of the reps I asked, why is it taking so long for Samsung or Sprint to release Froyo 2.2? He advised me that he heard and read that Samsung is going to skip Froyo 2.2 and release to us Gingerbread 2.3. Which means that we are going to have to wait longer for an update. It would make sense because Froyo 2.2 is getting kind of old now. What do you guys think they should do?

Don't listen to a word a rep says, 2.2 has already been released to the carriers so right off the bat he is spouting nonsense.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Why would a Sprint representative think that Froyo would be skipped in favor of Gingerbread? Samsung has already publically stated on their Twitter page that they are "have made no announcement regarding Gingerbread and are not prepared to discuss it at this time."

I suppose though it would be possible that Samsung/Sprint are quitely working on doing this.

Since this discussion has also occurred in the Froyo thread, I'm going to merge it in with that.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

It would only make sense if Gingerbread was ready now.

Death Roe

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting. I rooted my phone because I was tired of waiting for Froyo, but if a stable Gingerbread ROM/DK comes out I'll definitely try it.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I would just love to know what takes "4 months" to test ...it can't be that much trial & error. Personally its all about other phone sales being tainted & releasing a new phone to force upgrade. At this point, the last upgrade id be acceptable with & feel like I got my monies worth is if and when we get 2.3 what will be interesting is if they give some lame excuse why 2.3 won't work on the Epic. Yet its cousin the nexus s( same hardware) runs it just fine......so cut the crap & say u don't want to give us 2.2/2.3 & u want us to not cramp sales that's what it boils down to

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't think that Sprint has simply been playing with the same Froyo build for the past 4 months. From the leaked builds, we know that in the past two months there has been a new version of Froyo internally released at least every two weeks - and these are just the builds we know of, the updates could have been even more frequent.

dquangt

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I would just love to know what takes "4 months" to test ...it can't be that much trial & error. Personally its all about other phone sales being tainted & releasing a new phone to force upgrade. At this point, the last upgrade id be acceptable with & feel like I got my monies worth is if and when we get 2.3 what will be interesting is if they give some lame excuse why 2.3 won't work on the Epic. Yet its cousin the nexus s( same hardware) runs it just fine......so cut the crap & say u don't want to give us 2.2/2.3 & u want us to not cramp sales that's what it boils down to

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

you really have no idea how technology/software/hardware works do you? testing is probably the most time consuming aspect of any project.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
you really have no idea how technology/software/hardware works do you? testing is probably the most time consuming aspect of any project.

Truly think Sprint is using the Intercept has a test to see how 2.2 runs. This phone gave me no issues until the 2.2 upgrade.
Just my theory.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Intercept (Android 2.2) using Tapatalk.

rangers28

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Truly think Sprint is using the Intercept has a test to see how 2.2 runs. This phone gave me no issues until the 2.2 upgrade.
Just my theory.

AGAIN....if we just had Vanilla Android, you wouldn't have to test it's compatability and stability with TW and we wouldn't be having these problems....did I mention that yet??? hahaha :p

Oh, and I see that the Evo is getting ANOTHER update?? Sure it's just a maintenance update, but how many updates has that phone received?? How many has the Epic received??

Now THAT'S how you support a phone....you listening, Samsung?!? I knew I made the wrong choice :/

vmcc

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
In reply to dquangt: That's wonderful, but it doesn't take five months. We're not launching the space shuttle here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante