Help me settle some buyer's remorse (Pre to Epic)

akacinna

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I, like many here seem to be, am a recent convert from my beloved Pre (see: WebOS) to the Epic 4G. I have a little buyer's remorse though. This whole ordeal set me back $350 bucks before MIR and I know that the LG Tegra 2 dual core phones are slated for Q1 2011.

I still have a approximately 2.5 weeks to take the phone back for a refund. Should I stay with my Pre until the Tegra 2 phones take hold or just ride the Epic wave?

FYI, I really miss swiping, universal search, cards, navigating menus, konami codes, and..., and... all that stuff on WebOS :(

The Epic is pretty awesome though. Plus, wtf Android! Why do you get the games for free that I PAID for on my Pre.

But I digress.... help me!

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, look at it this way. If you hold off and buy a phone with a tegra 2, there's likely going to be something even better off on the horizon by then. That's how it works with cell phones. "Top of the line" changes practically from week to week.

Also, holding off would push back your next upgrade, so you couldn't get the end of the year's hottest phone next year, and would instead have to wait! :p

All in all, there's really no point in holding out for the next greatest thing, because by the time that's out, there would be something else to hold off for. If you're happy with the epic, keep it. It's not like the extra processing power, at this point, is crucial.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
plus if you root and overclock your running with a stock dual core....1.6ghz. from what i heard the dual core will only be 1.5ghz. no obviously you will be able to overclock those as well but like above me said. there will always be something better coming out.

akacinna

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm well aware that there's always something new on the horizon, but I was more concerned about this announcement being a significant leap ahead of currently available tech. I only upgrade once every couple years now so I'm trying to make sure that I made a great choice.

I did almost no prior research before buying this phone, which is a rarity. I saw it and said, "Ooooo shiny". Then I blacked out and awoke at home with a new phone.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
I'm well aware that there's always something new on the horizon, but I was more concerned about this announcement being a significant leap ahead of currently available tech. I only upgrade once every couple years now so I'm trying to make sure that I made a great choice.

I did almost no prior research before buying this phone, which is a rarity. I saw it and said, "Ooooo shiny". Then I blacked out and awoke at home with a new phone.

That made me laugh.

I'm a convert from an iPhone, did an ASSLOAD of market research, test drove my top 3 phones, and picked the Epic. I don't regret it even a little.

You bought the best Android smartphone on the market today. Be happy with that.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Lets just say that if it was me, I would wait until January at CES to see what will be available in the first quarter. 2 years is a long time to have a phone, and even with premier upgrade, you would not be able to upgrade until November of next year if you keep Epic.

Again, if it was me, I would wait it out. Especially since you like your current equipment so much. I had the Palm Pre also, I switched to Evo on launch day and regretted it. I have an Epic now, and I am very happy with it. Epic is a good upgrade. With Evo, I felt almost like a downgrade. Pre can handle more graphical intensive apps than the Evo could and I used those quite a bit.

Anyway, hold off I think. Return it, and see what Sprint releases at CES in January. I really like the EPic... its a great great device and very powerful. Not to be outdated soon. However, its always nice to have the latest and greatest for at least 3-4 months in the Android realm.

j_benj#AC

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the Pre to the Epic about 3 weeks ago (Radio Shack had them for $219 w/no mail-in rebate). As much as I love and miss webOS, the Epic is just an amazing device. The more I learn about Android, the more I find ways to tweak my experience to make up for some of the things I miss in webOS.

People keep saying they're expecting some kind of miracle from CES 2011. You shouldn't. The first thing HP is going to crank out is a tablet, period. That's going to be the CES announcement, phones will follow throughout the year. Odds are, by the time a new HP webOS device hits Sprint, you'll be pretty close to an upgrade (or if you aren't, you can always sell your Epic to recoup some of the funds if you can't wait).

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Epic for about a week now coming from a Pre. I got my Pre on Launch Day and it served me well for a year and a half. Only made the switch because the Pre started getting a little flakey on calls. But a year and a half is a good life for a phone imo. The fact that I was still happy with the Pre after that long tells me that I will be fine with the Epic at least for 12 months when I'm eligible for another upgrade.

I still keep my Pre for the Golf GPS app and the Cribbage app which I like better than any on their Android counterparts. But aside from that the Epic and Android just rock. To me it is a major upgrade from the Pre and WebOS. I loved the gestures and swiping and for a few days I missed them, but now I'm completely used to navigating Android style. I love the keyboard even more than the one on the Pre. And various stock Android features such as voice dialing and voice search and visual voicemail are so nice.

I'd say give the epic another week. Download some apps/widgets and spend some time customizing your home screens. My guess is you'll be a complete convert by then. If not, then return it. Just give it a little more time first.

akacinna

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the Pre to the Epic about 3 weeks ago (Radio Shack had them for $229 w/no mail-in rebate). As much as I love and miss webOS, the Epic is just an amazing device. The more I learn about Android, the more I find ways to tweak my experience to make up for some of the things I miss in webOS.

People keep saying they're expecting some kind of miracle from CES 2011. You shouldn't. The first thing HP is going to crank out is a tablet, period. That's going to be the CES announcement, phones will follow throughout the year. Odds are, by the time a new HP webOS device hits Sprint, you'll be pretty close to an upgrade (or if you aren't, you can always sell your Epic to recoup some of the funds if you can't wait).

I found this deal on cellulardeals.com. It's claiming that you can buy the Epic 4g for $169 with no rebates and a 2 year contract. If that's true, I kind of feel like being douchey and swapping it for that price. Is this site legit?

s2000fsu

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm also coming from a Palm Pre on Sprint. I just got a refurb Pre from Sprint, but I'm still gonna upgrade to the epic. Like others have said, I want to use my upgrade credit now and not sit on it so that i can upgrade again next year at this time. This time of year is good for upgrading cause all the black friday deals to be had.

I was deciding between the evo and epic. The real keyboard, super amoled, better camera/video cam, and better gpu were the deciding factors for me.
My only gripe is the non-sharp display I found one one Epic demo unit @sprint. The other 2 demo units I saw seemed fine, so I hope that was a fluke. I guess i can try the voodoo color fix if i need to.

I'm still gonna keep my pre and can always switch back to it if the epic sucks. If hp comes put with good hardware next year, maybe I'll switch back to webos.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hey friend. I felt the same way. honestly it took me 6 weeks to be okay with android. the phone is amazing for sure. today I can say who cares about webOS.

price-wise you could return and go with the sites mentioned. I got mine via wirefly which right now is $199 no tax, free ship.

just know most people don't ue the slideout keyboard which I totally thought I would. I got 47wpm on palm pre.

cary328is

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a Pre owner as well. I got tired of it when the updates (and promises of Flash 10.1) just never came and were always underwhelming as far as features go. It's an innovative OS for sure, but just not the right hardware.

Hockey07

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from a Pre to the Epic two days ago. I was pretty hesitant to switch to an Android (launch day Pre owner) because I liked so much of what webOS had to offer. My Pre wouldn't charge, so I just decided to use my upgrade on a new phone rather than pay for a refurb Pre.

I miss the elegant card view for multitasking, but that's pretty much all that I miss (and I've gotten over it by now). It's way faster than the Pre, the software is very nice IMO, the hardware is great (larger and very nice screen, both virtual and physical keyboards, feels pretty solid)...

Btw as far as universal search goes, the quick search (with the button or just typing on the keyboard) works just as well for me... searches contacts, apps, the internet... honestly, those are the only things I used universal search for.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
game gripper is ridiculously lame and not a good enouhg reason to keep the epic/

i too am having the same remorse as you.
my parents are on ATT and with the olympus hitting them first i am tempted.

however, the epic is a 4g phone. that alone is why im keeping it.
i decided when i first got my phone that i got it for 4g. when att and verizon get 4g sometime next year then illl probably switch. but if the olympus ends up being a 4g phone then hell yeah im jumping ship, or if they make the nexus s with 4g for sprint ill get that.

really you wont lose money. sprints ETF is 150. the phone alone is worth 400 plus/ so its a win win

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I went Pre to Epic 4G, and my wife kept my Pre. I miss my Pre a lot. But waiting for the next great device is pointless, and never ending. There is always something newer, faster, bigger, better just around the corner, and as soon as you make a purchase a new model is released. If I was to do a change today, I would still get the Epic.

bakerja

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Slingbox app was all it took for me to switch from pre to EPIC. I too had a little remorse initially but I have long gotten over it.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
take pictures of your kids with Epic that actually FOCUSES and Fall trees with Epic, and scan some Christmas shopping bar codes in to price-shop, and you'll be happier.

I too miss my Pre because WebOS blows away Android, especially Synergy of calendars and email (Yahoo calendar SUCKS on Android, as it can't do alarms, and Android calendar doesn't even rise to sucking it blows so much.)

However, Android on Epic has some nice apps and is a lot easier if you have aging eyes, as I do.

that being said, when medical apps support WebOS better, and new bigger HP phones are out, then I am back to WebOS in a heartbeat! I still use my Pre to check out the WebOS medical apps that are coming out, via wifi.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Lets just say that if it was me, I would wait until January at CES to see what will be available in the first quarter. 2 years is a long time to have a phone, and even with premier upgrade, you would not be able to upgrade until November of next year if you keep Epic.

Again, if it was me, I would wait it out. Especially since you like your current equipment so much. I had the Palm Pre also, I switched to Evo on launch day and regretted it. I have an Epic now, and I am very happy with it. Epic is a good upgrade. With Evo, I felt almost like a downgrade. Pre can handle more graphical intensive apps than the Evo could and I used those quite a bit.

Anyway, hold off I think. Return it, and see what Sprint releases at CES in January. I really like the EPic... its a great great device and very powerful. Not to be outdated soon. However, its always nice to have the latest and greatest for at least 3-4 months in the Android realm.

The evo is a downgrade from the Palm Pre? That's am interesting statement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm