Simultaneous Voice/Data on Epic

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I placed a link in my post check it out. they are using an EVO but it is on Sprint 4G and they are demonstrating Sprint's 4G simultaneous voice/data capabilities. 3G cannot do this.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I placed a link in my post check it out. they are using an EVO but it is on Sprint 4G and they are demonstrating Sprint's 4G simultaneous voice/data capabilities. 3G cannot do this.

Yeah, but there was a press release after that demo stating that it, currently wouldn't be possible (see the link i posted above)

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just did a little test:

1. Disconnected from home WiFi network
2. connected to 4G service (one "ray"), 5 service "bars"
3. Called my home line from the Epic, connected
4. Opened browser and Googled A|C
5. Browsed full site of A|C
6. verified call was still connected (talked to myself)
7. Terminated call

So it would appear that voice/data does work.

Quick Edit: phone is not rooted, no errors or warning boxes popped up.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Lol well like I said all that stuff about data is a worthwhile discussion. Hopefully, it's one of those things we won't have to talk about someday!

msw323

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Works fine while on wireless and 4G (at least in the cities I was able to test). Obviously, does not work under 3G.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure that simultaneous use is limited to being on 4G. I was able to "multitask" phone calls and web browsing on my Palm Pre, and I think I've been able to on this Epic. Heck, even the bulletpoint specs on the Samsung Transform (looking at getting that one for the kiddo) show "Android-powered Smartphone With Simultaneous Voice and Data Capability", and its not 4G.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure that simultaneous use is limited to being on 4G. I was able to "multitask" phone calls and web browsing on my Palm Pre, and I think I've been able to on this Epic. Heck, even the bulletpoint specs on the Samsung Transform (looking at getting that one for the kiddo) show "Android-powered Smartphone With Simultaneous Voice and Data Capability", and its not 4G.

Did you have WiFi on when you were multitasking? That would allow 3G voice and data.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
So basically, its not because you are on 4G that you can do data/voice simultaneously, but that you have TWO radios to utilize?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
So basically, its not because you are on 4G that you can do data/voice simultaneously, but that you have TWO radios to utilize?

Technically, the technology exists for 3G CDMA... but I think it has to do with 1xRTT (not 3G) and its a tower end modification, not a phone end. Sprint and Verizon decided just to spend the money on WiMax and LTE instead of giving their phones talk and data capabilities. Its money better spent anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie