12-23-2010 02:44 PM
247 ... 8910
tools
    I recommend you wipe your data clean anyway when upgrading, as there may be some incompatibilities that you may not be aware of, and some software is written to detect the OS version and configure things according to that version, so wouldn't be configured correctly with a different version of the OS. And don't worry about the update. Even if it's not pushed to your phone, you can get the update here or at XDA.
    12-14-2010 08:45 PM
    I recommend you wipe your data clean anyway when upgrading, as there may be some incompatibilities that you may not be aware of, and some software is written to detect the OS version and configure things according to that version, so wouldn't be configured correctly with a different version of the OS. And don't worry about the update. Even if it's not pushed to your phone, you can get the update here or at XDA.
    If that is what google expects- the updates should backup the phone, settings etc- and reload it when it's updating the OS.

The 3rd party backup apps and their lack of being able to back up app data unless you're rooted because of "Android security protocols" is such a disservice to Android users I'm beginning to encourage people to get an iphone rather than say Android's for everyone.

Every day it seems Android is more for the geek / tweak crowd (me) and ignores the casual like my parents or my wife- yet we all have android currently and many are wishing for iphone due to apple looking out for the consumer 1st. (even if it does mean limiting your choices/options)

Google needs to step up- bake backup/restore of the entire phone into the OS- allow sending it to your google cloud too- and have OS updates wipe/install/restore transparent to the user. This is what 99% of any other consumer product does especially in the gaming sector (wii, xbox 360, PS3 OS updates over the past year) One click and you're done without drama or reduced functionality.

I swear if one more person says "revert using ODIN" I'm going to scream.
    12-15-2010 04:05 PM
    Froyo actually can backup your phone, partially at least. Your system settings and Market apps are remembered in the cloud, so if you switch phones or have a fresh installation of Froyo it restores your system settings and re-downloads and reinstalls your Market apps automatically. The only catch is this is done via the Setup Wizard, which Sprint disabled for some reason - but is easily enabled by changing one line in the build.prop file.
    12-15-2010 05:01 PM
    But from what I understand all app data is gone in the event of a system wipe. Ie: any data you've entered in a 3rd party app- whether it's your save status in a game, or data entry fields, or high scores is all LOST because a "backup" doesn't backup app data.

This was NOT the case in older Palm, Windows 6.x and is not the case from what I understand in iphone.
    12-15-2010 07:03 PM
    When will froyo be Pushed to EPIC.. I have not downloaded yet?
    Is it safe to download before official OTA push?

where is the latest link to download froyo for the Epic?
    12-16-2010 04:20 PM
    Check posts 1 and 2 for articles and downloads.
    12-16-2010 04:48 PM
    the download update.zip file was fun to try out Froyo, but sure messed up my phone, and recovering from it was a bit of a nightmare!
    Addie_Goodvibes and ejohnnyk like this.
    12-16-2010 11:54 PM
    Anyone having luck with push notifications from Facebook with this froyo update
    12-17-2010 09:53 PM
    Maybe I'm alone on this but I have been using this test update since the day it came out with ZERO problems on my epic. I guess I'm just lucky for once. I also just got my epic on dec 1, so maybe there were hardware fixes/changes.
    12-18-2010 11:45 AM
    Maybe I'm alone on this but I have been using this test update since the day it came out with ZERO problems on my epic. I guess I'm just lucky for once. I also just got my epic on dec 1, so maybe there were hardware fixes/changes.
    Since you're using a late-build Epic and Froyo, please let me know: how's your GPS performance? Any improvement over 2.1? I've found mine unable to run, e.g., SmartRunner due to the GPS...
    12-18-2010 12:25 PM
    the download update.zip file was fun to try out Froyo, but sure messed up my phone, and recovering from it was a bit of a nightmare!
    Did you do a factory reset/wipe before the update? Not doing so can cause problems. Most people that did wipe before updating seem to be happy with DK28.
    12-18-2010 05:02 PM
    Did you do a factory reset/wipe before the update? Not doing so can cause problems. Most people that did wipe before updating seem to be happy with DK28.
    I sure wish I had done that, now!

It was my first try at downloading/installing anything other than free mobile hotspot on the Epic. I guess I missed the tidbit about factory reset and wipe first. Maybe I'll try it again when I have some more time off, because I really did like the Froyo UI better. 2.1 seems pretty amateurish and thrown-together after using WebOS/Palm Pre.
    12-19-2010 01:09 AM
    Use the android keyboard you will notice that there is barely spell correction or recommended words. That's just one problem with the build. I had a few more but I forgot.
    12-20-2010 01:19 AM
    I did a factory reset and still had tons of issues, so that doesn't solve all the problems.
    12-20-2010 08:36 AM
    I did a factory reset and still had tons of issues, so that doesn't solve all the problems.

Have you tried a factory reset AFTER you upgraded to DK28 Froyo? Some have tried this and it resolved a lot of the issues people were having...
    12-20-2010 11:08 AM
    Have you tried a factory reset AFTER you upgraded to DK28 Froyo? Some have tried this and it resolved a lot of the issues people were having...
    You are really trying to convince yourself that the build has no issues. The android keyboard does not auto corrrect and when you plug the phone to pc you can't switch between USB because the option isn't there. That's just two out of the many problems.
    12-22-2010 01:38 PM
    Customer of mine is having issues with his Epic, he did the manual update and now:

-his photos do not show up in the gallery
    -when he tries to use camera it FC everytime
    -dialer come up in landscape mode
    -browser FC

anyone having these issues?
    12-23-2010 01:07 AM
    There are many threads in this forum about dk28. I would suggest you search and read them for info, and ideas on how to fix. One might be to go back and reload dk28. But info is out there, look and you will be rewarded.
    12-23-2010 05:24 AM
    He def installed wrong.. I have yet to hear about that combo of probs. I would say to download again just in case it was a bad download and search the forums for how to re-install the proper way to have GPS etc work. Everything you will need is here if you search (or check the sticky's).
    12-23-2010 07:18 AM
    Going to uninstall then install for him, should he have wiped the device before adding update? also should I wipe the dalvik cache?
    12-23-2010 12:02 PM
    Going to uninstall then install for him, should he have wiped the device before adding update? also should I wipe the dalvik cache?
    Yes, wipe data 3X, then wipe cache 3X. Get a GPS fix, install the DK28 modem first, then perform a complete DK28 install. As these posters have stated, this information is available in several other threads.
    12-23-2010 12:36 PM
    That is probably why he is having problems.if you dont wipe you prolly will have problems. Just use the Odin method. It's a nice clean install. Also you should just wait on eclair since froyo is supposedly coming in 3 days.
    12-23-2010 02:44 PM
247 ... 8910