Froyo DK28 is out for EPIC

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my phone (and like an idiot) deleted the default Sprint apps, so is there an update option for me without re-imaging stock 2.1? Is there a .zip somewhere containing the default sprint apps so I can just install them and then update?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how this method would work with missing pre-installed apps. I know OTA updates completely fail, so if this update in any way checks for configuration before installing it could go haywire. Ragnarokx might be able to clarify this, though.

Reactions: Marshmallow713

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! Very helpful and I will definitely go back to stock before trying to update.

Before I go through all the trouble... Do you guys think its worth it? My phone is working wonderfully now and I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idiom.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys! Very helpful and I will definitely go back to stock before trying to update.

Before I go through all the trouble... Do you guys think its worth it? My phone is working wonderfully now and I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idiom.

Completely up to you. If you're 100% satisfied with your phone now, then my personal opinion is to just leave it be until FroYo is pushed out OTA and maybe makesyour update process a little less complicated. Like you said, no need to fix what's not broken. But again, the decision is completely yours.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Keep in mind that since you removed stock apps, you won't be able to install the OTA Froyo update either without going back to stock. So you will have to go through the same trouble with this Froyo version as you will with the OTA version.

But once you get the hang of using Odin, it's really no trouble at all. I can flash .tar and .pit files with my eyes closed lol.

Reactions: Chris Kerrigan

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I knew that would be the case. Just wasn't sure if installing through the OTA was the only time that not having default apps would effect the upgrade. Thanks for the great info though. Cleared up some of the fuzzy issues in my head. Still not sure if its worth updating though, but the geek in me doesn't think I can keep myself from tinkering with it. Just like I couldn't resist rooting even though I didn't have a real reason too. haha

signothefish

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Have to say, flashing to 2.2.1 has stabilized my phone quite a bit. I can now use the native Exchange without device resets, and Doodle Bowling starts up the first time every time now. Love the new colored menus too. All in all, a good experience so far. BTW, I wasn't rooted before the flash (was on DI18), and did the simple method of updating by renaming to update.zip and moving to the card's root folder. Easy peasy.

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still somewhat confused...I was on stock DI18 and manually updated last night to DK28. Will I not receive the actual OTA that Sprint is starting to roll out? What if they change it to something other than DK28 or add some other features? Are we 100% sure that the DK28 we installed is going to be the same thing that is sent out OTA to our phones? Is there any benefit to waiting until we get the OTA automatically instead of manually installing?

awesomo4308

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Having never rooted I do like this 2.2 better than the 2.1 quite a bit. Only negative I've noticed so far (and it's pretty minor) is that when you plug it into a computer, if you hit charging then the USB icon doesn't stay in the dropdown menu so if you want to switch to mass storage you need to unplug and replug the wire.

Also the AC froyo feature list mentions threaded calls which I didn't notice (unless its an option somewhere that I didn't see).

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm still somewhat confused...I was on stock DI18 and manually updated last night to DK28. Will I not receive the actual OTA that Sprint is starting to roll out? What if they change it to something other than DK28 or add some other features? Are we 100% sure that the DK28 we installed is going to be the same thing that is sent out OTA to our phones? Is there any benefit to waiting until we get the OTA automatically instead of manually installing?

There is no certainty on that. Right now this is only popping up OTA on Dev phones which means there is a chance there will be some last minute changes. If that happens or not is anyone's guess, but I'd bet my top dollar this is pretty darn close to a final build if it doesn't turn out to be one.

Reactions: jerbeck24

jerbeck24

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no certainty on that. Right now this is only popping up OTA on Dev phones which means there is a chance there will be some last minute changes. If that happens or not is anyone's guess, but I'd bet my top dollar this is pretty darn close to a final build if it doesn't turn out to be one.

So if they do make any minor, last minute changes, will they change it to a new build from DK28? If they do, will we all still receive the actual OTA update? I just don't want to do this if I'll be missing something when the actual OTA update is sent to my phone.

rogeratm

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I did the non OTA installation with no problem. I like it but it will take some getting used to for some of the changes such as the keyboard.