Request for Application Assistance

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping that I can get several forum members to test out an android market app on the Samsung Epic phone for purposes of determining how the application works.

The application is called RunKeeper, and I don't believe that you need to register in order to do this test.

I had this application on my HTC Hero phone, and the way it worked is that when I started it up, it would take about a minute or so to acquire a GPS signal. The strength of the signal would be indicated by a dot in the right corner of the screen. Ideally, the dot should be green to indicate full strength. On the Epic phone, I have only been able to get an orange dot, meaning that the application may not correctly identify where I ran, or how far. It's also possible that without full GPS signal strength, that the activity may not save correctly.

What I am looking for is to see if other forum members could download the application and start it up and see if the GPS signal strength ever goes green.

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Het bro I tried it also and got the yellow/orange color as well. I then tried it on my wifes hero and got green. I guess that means our gps just sucks. It's not just your phone

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for trying it out. I don't understand why it works without any problems on the Hero, but it won't work correctly on the Epic. Can anyone provide any information about this?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
snap20101215_235030.png

I got green, indoors. I'm using dk28 based rom. Believe me, gps is more than fixed, but this release has issues (one is getting the gps to turn off). Hopefully the final release of froyo will be fixed, til then, ill deal with the minor bugs to have hulu working.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so then the 2.1 on the Epic has issues with the GPS. The leaked dk28 has supposedly fixed the GPS issue (at least per the screen shot), but I've seen posts in other forums indicate that the dk28 firmware has a GPS issue. Hopefully once the official firmware comes out, I will be able to get this application to work properly.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had far less gps issues with the dk28 modem. I have a bigger issue with data speed. It apears 4g dl is cut in half or more and 3gupload is back to that 150kbs.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I resolved my complaints about dk28... I got rid of the modem and went back to DK17. Everything works well. GPS still locks quickly. May want to consider this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol