Orientation not changing

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've recently changed back from the leaked 2.2 update to be the stock 2.1 android OS on my Epic. Ever since then, my screen orientation has not changed when I rotate the phone. The only way I can force the rotation to landscape is by opening the keyboard. But then, the only way to get it back to portrait is to lock the screen/sleep the phone (I don't really know the technical term for it) and unlock the screen.

I used Odin to restore my phone to factory OS.

And yes, I have checked that the option "Orientation" is set on in the "Sound & Display" settings.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to fix this? At first, I thought I could live with it since I sometimes turn off "Orientation" so I can be laying down and reading but its getting really annoying now.

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the Browser, Google Reader (the official Google one), and a few other Apps that have rotated before and none of them do.

Gersonian

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Solution to screen orientation

Download terminal emulator from the market.

open the program and enter the following on separate lines:

Su [press enter to get next line]
/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha

hit enter and follow the directions.

Make sure your phone is lying flat and horizontal when you actually run the calibration utility.

Your phone must be rooted for this to work.

Reactions: pacha248

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

Make sure your phone is lying flat and horizontal when you actually run the calibration utility.

My phone isn't rooted and I'm not really big on the idea of rooting it just to fix this issue. I'm looking to keep this phone stock.

bri637

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I used that when I had the same problem from reverting back to 2.1 a few weeks ago. Worked great.

My phone isn't rooted and I'm not really big on the idea of rooting it just to fix this issue. I'm looking to keep this phone stock.

I never rooted my phone until this happened. After a few days of searching all over the internet, this sounded like the only fix for the orientation problem. It was super easy to do.

Gersonian

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the phone will not change the fact that you have a stock ROM on it. It just gives you access to more things. You could also one-click root it just to fix this problem and unroot it after you are done.

This issue has been thoroughly discussed over at XDA, and I am pretty sure there is not a solution that does not require rooting the phone.

If you change your mind, click here

You can read up on what has been said on XDA here

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the phone will not change the fact that you have a stock ROM on it. It just gives you access to more things. You could also one-click root it just to fix this problem and unroot it after you are done.

This issue has been thoroughly discussed over at XDA, and I am pretty sure there is not a solution that does not require rooting the phone.

If you change your mind, click here

You can read up on what has been said on XDA here

I guess my understanding of rooting my phone was wrong; I thought it was "permanent" and would require re-flashing again to remove it.

Thank you all for your help. I will root it so I can fix this issue.

Gersonian

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Best of luck! Hope it works for you, and just know that if it doesn't the first time you should try it a few more times. I think I might have had to restart once before I saw a change. I had a different issue, but the solution is the same...

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I used that when I had the same problem from reverting back to 2.1 a few weeks ago. Worked great.

I never rooted my phone until this happened. After a few days of searching all over the internet, this sounded like the only fix for the orientation problem. It was super easy to do.

Same here. Was very resistant to rooting after flashing an unofficial rom broke my accelerometer, but it was very easy to do, which was a good thing since it was the only option.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Download z4root from the market. Way easy to use and u can do a temporary root if u like. Any issue u run into hit me up. I've dealt with this same issue a lot and gotten pretty good at fixing it

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Download z4root from the market. Way easy to use and u can do a temporary root if u like. Any issue u run into hit me up. I've dealt with this same issue a lot and gotten pretty good at fixing it

Perhaps you can do a How To thread on fixing it ... detailed how to's are always welcomed

musclehead84

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Then there is no fix without root until froyo comes out! Why did you flash back already? Also the temp root will leave superuser on your phone.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I am on the same build version and mines does the same thing on dk28, also whoever has this build version try this put just open your phones keyboard and leave it open and sat your phone down, rougly every 45sec Id say on average the key light will just randomly flash...never noticed this on 2.1, just a fyi, but yes I am noticing serious lag on this version and the rotation of things are wack lol, so hopefully the offical dk11 is better....

WillieWA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I rolled my pic 4G back to the original factory configuration, prior to update1, and allow the phone to grab the latest software version from Sprint. I too had the screen rotation issue where the home screen would roll fine but if I was in an App, like Email, and went to landscape mode it would not roll back to portrait once I closed the keyboard. I found that if I turned off the Auto-Orientation orbit in the settings menu it works fine. Reverse logic is sometimes needed when working with technology.