Touchscreen doesn't work when charging

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a very annoying tendency for the touchscreen to malfunction when the phone is plugged in and charging.

Either the screen will be completely unresponsive, or will just act a fool. For instance, when I would try to use Swype, it will be allll over the place, not giving me anything close to what I meant to input.

Is this a known/common problem? Any fixes? At first I thought it might be a problem with SetCPU, since I've heard it can cause some quirks, but the problem has persisted even since I uninstalled everything.

FWIW, I'm running rooted, on ViperRom 3.03, with LauncherPro.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a very annoying tendency for the touchscreen to malfunction when the phone is plugged in and charging.

Either the screen will be completely unresponsive, or will just act a fool. For instance, when I would try to use Swype, it will be allll over the place, not giving me anything close to what I meant to input.

Is this a known/common problem? Any fixes? At first I thought it might be a problem with SetCPU, since I've heard it can cause some quirks, but the problem has persisted even since I uninstalled everything.

FWIW, I'm running rooted, on ViperRom 3.03, with LauncherPro.

This is common place unfortunatley, it has happend with my Droid X, my fathers OG Droid, my fascinate, and my gf's captivate.

As far as i know there is no fix. i just try to reg type when its plugged in.

Sorry

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember this was a huge problem when the Evo first came out. Apparently it was a grounding issue, and HTC was able to fix it with a software update. I don't think it is as bad with our phones, but I have noticed it also occasionally.

bobengle3

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
It's probably the charger...

Every since I switched over to Android, with it's terrible battery life, I have been experiencing the same problem with certain chargers. I buy lots of chargers to make sure I always have one nearby. I've learned that even though it may have the proper mini/micro usb tip, it doesn't always work, especially the cheapos.

mister2quick

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this issue when I used my stock charger and my aftermarket car charger. The screen would geek out like crazy until I unplugged it. Now I use my old Pre charger and it hasn't caused me an issue yet!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this issue when I used my stock charger and my aftermarket car charger. The screen would geek out like crazy until I unplugged it. Now I use my old Pre charger and it hasn't caused me an issue yet!

Curious , perhaps someone can mimic this and see if it is actually a workaround or if its just a 1off

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I notice a slight lag, but after touchng the screen for a few seconds, it returns to normal.

Im not getting such unresponciveness as you stated really.
Could it be because i was using it while being charged on my pc's usb?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I notice a slight lag, but after touchng the screen for a few seconds, it returns to normal.

Im not getting such unresponciveness as you stated really.
Could it be because i was using it while being charged on my pc's usb?

It doesn't happen all the time on my phone. But it does do it occasionally. When it happens, I just unplug it as it is virtually impossible to complete my unlock pattern while this is happening.

AdamBv1

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen only once and it was when I was using the stock charger running off a power inverter in my brothers car. It was so bad I could not even unlock the screen while it was plugged in. I switched to using my old Pre charger and I was fine after that.

I would honestly point to either a bad USB tip as somebody said or a bad charger or even bad power to the charger causing these issues.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Always happens to me on an aftermarket charger. I've also had chargers prevent me from drawing a straight line.made swype impossible

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

artungonul

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I am a new gs2 user and i just bought a new charger so i can keep one at home and one at work.. I dont have any issues with the one that came with the phone but the one i bought later (evethough it IS genuine samsung) the touch screen is completely unresponsive.. it is very annoying

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: It's probably the charger...

Every since I switched over to Android, with it's terrible battery life, I have been experiencing the same problem with certain chargers. I buy lots of chargers to make sure I always have one nearby. I've learned that even though it may have the proper mini/micro usb tip, it doesn't always work, especially the cheapos.

I think you hit this one on the head. I have numerous different aftermarket chargers, but one I recently bought from Walmart ("Samsung Epic" was listed as one of the models it was for), did lock up my phone while it was charging. I tried it numerous times, replugging it in, then tried my wife's Epic and same result...I could not unlock the lock screen until I unplugged the charger. Now I have the same charger at work I bought some time ago, and it works fine. I returned the offending charger and may try purchasing another one and see if it was just a bad one or if there is now something wrong with that particular model charger.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the accursed malady known as CCS. Cheapo charger syndrome. Ifyou want perfection then buy all your chargers at Sprint for top dollar. I have my chargers strategically placed so that if I need functionality, I have a good charger nearby. Good luck.

slownis

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I too had this problem with a cheapo charger that was purchased at walmart. The bottom part of the screen was totally unresponsive, so I couldn't even unlock my phone. Then I picked up another cheapo off the shelf at target that had a retractable cord. This one works just fine. I'd post a link to it, but I'm not allowed to since this is my first post evah.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I too had this problem with a cheapo charger that was purchased at walmart. The bottom part of the screen was totally unresponsive, so I couldn't even unlock my phone. Then I picked up another cheapo off the shelf at target that had a retractable cord. This one works just fine. I'd post a link to it, but I'm not allowed to since this is my first post evah.

got 2 like this at Radio Shack, very handy compact for travelling. We keep these 2 in our RV.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a smattering of Pre chagers and they all work great. Though I have noticed this with the charter that came with the device when I try to unluck at night, but after a few seconds everything works fine.

fujifotoguy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem on one occasion (and I think another time a long time ago...) when I tried charging my Epic with my old Pre charger plugged into an inverter in my car. Basically unresponsive screen, etc. Unplugged and it was fine. Plugged in the regular Samsung brand car charger and it was just fine. I'm guessing it's the grounding issue again, probably some characteristic of the inverter and how those work in comparison the plug in the wall next to you.

William Mishetto

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
surethng,an a regular user of touch screen phones especial those running on android,it ached my head but i came to notice those chargers with two plugs always malfunction my touchscreen, wirks fine with 3 plugs charger, use them and ur probkem solved

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
surethng,an a regular user of touch screen phones especial those running on android,it ached my head but i came to notice those chargers with two plugs always malfunction my touchscreen, wirks fine with 3 plugs charger, use them and ur probkem solved

What is a 3 plugs charger??? If you're talking about the standard 2 flat pins with the larger round grounding plug, that would explain a lot, as we've already figured out it was a grounding issue, and the cheaper chargers aren't properly grounded to the neutral plug.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae