So I took my epic to the Sprint store tonight because the slider was getting very loose. They said they couldn't tighten it so they will replace the phone and i can pick it up Friday.

Can I backup all the app settings and everything else without having to root and use something like titanium backup?
    Will swapping the SD card from the old one to the new phone take care of this?
    Anything else i should do before the switch it?
    01-05-2011 07:46 PM
    MyBackUp from the Market. You can back up to your SD Card or Online, apps, contacts, texts, etc...

I don't know much about the online back side of it but I use it to backup locally to my SD card. Sprint should let you swap SD cards when you come in, just tell them why.
    DaveWW00 likes this.
    01-05-2011 08:39 PM
    So I took my epic to the Sprint store tonight because the slider was getting very loose. They said they couldn't tighten it so they will replace the phone and i can pick it up Friday.

Can I backup all the app settings and everything else without having to root and use something like titanium backup?
    Will swapping the SD card from the old one to the new phone take care of this?
    Anything else i should do before the switch it?
    if you want to save all your data from your apps you need titanium backup , if you want to just remember what you saved you can download app brain on your phone and set up an account on line and sync them.

Swapping SD card will only save some apps and pictures or music you saved on it...

what you could do is do a temporary root, back everything up with titanium backup ,,, when you get the the new phone you can restore it and it will be like nothing every happend

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

after backing up through titanium you can move the TB file from the phone to your computer just incase you end up giving them your SD card by accident or something
    DaveWW00 likes this.
    01-05-2011 08:53 PM
    Will it mess things up a lot considering the phone i have now has froyo (the one from a few weeks ago) but the new one won't have it? should i install the froyo test build again (if its still available) and the restore via titanium backup?
    01-05-2011 09:31 PM
    i believe froyo to froyo is fine, eclair to froyo is ify
    DaveWW00 likes this.
    01-05-2011 09:48 PM
    The new app market remembers all of your purchased apps and I think even the free ones now I think. I use Androzip to back up all installed apps and folders, documents, etc to my SD card just in case. To reinstall an app from your SD card rather than from the market, you must go to settings/applications and check Unknown sources. I always go back and uncheck that after I'm finished installing backed up apps.
    DaveWW00 likes this.
    01-06-2011 09:03 AM
    dont send that phone to sprint with 2.2 on it, they will give you so much **** it isnt funny. also if you root using mybackpro i have found to be WAY better than titanium. To me it has worked much better than titanium. All of the restores i have done with titanium either took forever or just too much user input in required. mybackup pro click restore and set the phone down. i heard the paid version of titanium is like that as well but i had too many issues. but i would root, backup, then odin back to stock 2.1 before sending to sprint.
    DaveWW00 likes this.
    01-06-2011 09:49 AM
    After looking through all my apps and stuff most of the apps (LauncherPro and Tasker for example) that would be really annoying to have to recreate the settings for already have built in backup/restore which saves a file on the SD card. The other data i will lose is calendar, contacts, etc which is on google account and exchange server at work. I guess the only other thing that would be lost is data from games but i can have fun replaying those again.

I think i will just downgrade to stock 2.1 and skip the whole root thing (i tried z4root last night and it was unsuccessful). i might even stick with 2.1 for a while on the replacement phone until the official update comes out so my gps is more reliable again.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    01-06-2011 12:21 PM
    My back up pro, can back up any thing and every thing.

Evo-lution
    01-06-2011 12:33 PM
    just used odin to revert back to 2.1 before i exchange it tomorrow.
    wow that was easy and fast!
    01-06-2011 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD