The Official Froyo News, Speculation and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
motorola is not making droid devices for sprint. They seem to be focusing on verizon, and verizon is not an option for me. Thier plan pricing is not very good for damn near the same amount of coverage i get with sprint. (verizon and sprint share a lot of towers as they are both CDMA). Also from what i understand verizon is planning on charging for bandwith on there 4g network so you will need to watch your usage or pay the piper.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After reading the article yesterday about the possibly of the delay on Froyo being due to a battle between the US carriers and Samsung over an upgrade fee for Froyo I have a changed outlook.

If this is all true and it looks like the US carriers have teamed up against Sammy then I support them to a point. At the same time, the carriers did say when the phones were released that they will eventually be upgraded to Froyo. So there are two sides to the coin.

The bottom line number is still what matters to the carriers and Sammy. Its been one of the hottest selling product lines going into the holiday season and still afterwards continues to have good sales, even with all the news over the delay of Froyo.

Were going to have to sit back and watch as this all unfolds. Until then you have 2 options as I've said before.

1. Stick with Eclair until its released
2. Upgrade to Froyo leak and consider rooting and trying out the many different custom roms available.

rawvega

May 18, 2010
Visit site
motorola is not making droid devices for sprint. They seem to be focusing on verizon, and verizon is not an option for me. Thier plan pricing is not very good for damn near the same amount of coverage i get with sprint. (verizon and sprint share a lot of towers as they are both CDMA). Also from what i understand verizon is planning on charging for bandwith on there 4g network so you will need to watch your usage or pay the piper.

Yeah Moto doesn't make "Droid" devices for any carrier other than Verizon. As far as Android devices, hopefully Motorola will release some for Sprint CDMA this year.

Moto CEO: 'Competitive dynamic' at Verizon could drag on Q1 results - FierceWireless

"We're diversifying amongst carriers in the United States," Jha said. "You will see a much broader portfolio with AT&T. At Sprint, I hope to be able to deliver more products, and at T-Mobile we've of course had a relationship for a long period of time. "

Motorola splits into two companies, Jha pins hopes on Android - FierceWireless

Difficulties still remain for Jha though. Motorola has relied heavily on Verizon Wireless for its U.S. sales, and is now looking to diversify its customer base. Steve Elfman, Sprint Nextel's president of network operations and wholesale, told the Wall Street Journal that Motorola is "going to be an important part of our 3G/4G portfolio, certainly in the next couple of years."

In any event, I don't see my next device being a Samsung. I had sworn off Samsung products quite a while ago (not just cell phones) because of buggy firmware and slow updates to their products, but I figured I'd give them another chance because the specs on the Epic were so sweet. This whole Froyo debacle serves me right because I knew better but still bought Samsung regardless. I'm pretty sure I'll be rocking an HTC, Motorola or even an LG when upgrade times comes later on this year. Way to keep burning bridges, Sammy...

jpfoxey

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny that I left Palm for better hardware, which I've definitely found
And now the updates to the OS are pathetic here.
As far as who is to blame for the lethargy, I would agree that Sprint is not the culprit,
I could be wrong but it seemed that Sprint Pre owners got updates before nearly every other carrier.
I'm looking forward to Google Docs added functionality and VLingo's, I assume Froyo will make things faster and help with battery life, what else is coming? (Assuming it ever does come)

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
All I want from Froyo is a no-brainer fix for the GPS and the ability to move apps to the SD card. I couldn't care less about Flash support, and my Epic performs just fine for me (benchmarks aside) so any performance enhancements will be a bonus.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
What Rom you running i want something that's close to stock but rooted with maybe a new theme or something nothing way out there?

TrulyEpic, then install the samsung apps and you will have a stock looking touchwiz froyo experience and be rooted. There are some themes available too to slightly change things up.

I am so happy with my Epic now I could care less how long Sprint takes to release froyo.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey so I just saw this article over at intomobile about an insider's scoop regarding the delay. In short, he alleges that Samsung considers pushing new versions of Android to be a substantial (and therefore expensive) upgrade, whereas other manufacturers like htc do not and do not charge the associated high fees. In response, US carriers have banded together to boycott 2.2 until Samsung agrees to stop charging the high upgrade fees.

While this rumor is unsubstantiated, it certainly sounds plausible. It would explain why galaxy s phones around the world have froyo and we don't. Does anybody have any more info about this?

I have a hard time buying this as my Sprint / Samsung Instinct had 2.2 pushed to it 2 months ago.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I really kinda doubt that your Instinct has had Froyo 2.2 pushed to it. :)

Sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk

Your right... My Daughter had the Samsung Intercept. And yes Sprint pushed 2.2 to all sprint intercepts two months ago. While my first post had the incorrect phone my point is still made regardless.

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Your right... My Daughter had the Samsung Intercept. And yes Sprint pushed 2.2 to all sprint intercepts two months ago. While my first post had the incorrect phone my point is still made regardless.

Yes, the Intercept did get 2.2. And it sucked. Phone slowed down and crashed all the time. Finally, Sprint let me upgrade and I didn't upgrade to a Samsung product.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

nycks1

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, im new to the forum. I would like to root my phone but don't know how and what stable rom to root it to, please help.

alex94z

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That is Bullshhh. Bluetooth and GPS don't work right on this phone and Samsung calls it a feature update and wants to charge Sprint for it??!? I'm getting an HTC Evo and calling it a day. So it doesn't have a keyboard but at least it works.

Dan1400

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

It is true that samsung and every cell maker has to spend money to update software. But, samsung is releasing new phones with 2.2+ software. So its a lie to say that it costs too much money to update the galaxy S phones, and turn around a release a 2nd gen galaxy S phone with 2.3. They don't want to release the 2.2 update for the galaxy S phones as they want people to buy a new phone. Its simple, they make more money by getting people to buy new phones. Supporting older phones, doesn't make samsung any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel