To keep or not to keep? Epic 4G

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello there folks. I'm a recent owner of the Epic. Previous owner of Evo. My wife still owns the Evo. Evo's been good to us.

Something terrible happened with the Evo, got stolen. Now I have the Epic. What brought me to the Epic? Well...my sister-in-law has the Vibrant on T-Mobile. I fell in love with the screen and thought....hey, they speak bad about this Touchwiz but it's actually pretty nice. So I figured...why not get the best Galaxy S that does all that the Vibrant does and add to it an LED flash, front-facing camera, 4G speed available, and the physical KB. I like the sleekness of the Vibrant w/o the KB but prefer the KB due to the real estate on the screen when composing emails, message board posts, etc.

Well, when finally getting the Epic....started to play around with it. Again, no Android newbie so I can navigate it with ease. Although, I prefer no rooting. Anyhow...I tried to do some customizations that are available on the other Galaxy S phones and no cigar. Not until I start googling and reading this forum do I come to realize that this is not the same UI. I start reading how Epic owners are pissed about no Touchwiz 3.0 and no Froyo. Now that I'm in the same camp...can't help but to feel disappointed.

I have a ways out. I have exactly 26 days to return the phone. I've been keeping up with Android Central on CES 2011 coverage but no news on Sprint and possible new phones. I've wondered, should I return the Epic....wait on the new phones coming out this year with Froyo already intalled and maybe even Gingerbread? But again...no news from Sprint. Only news and pressers are from the other networks. Bogus!

I'm at a crossroads. Should I wait? Would you keep the Epic, being in my scenario of having a choice? Wait for Froyo and HOPEFULLY TW3.0? If so...I'd be thrilled. That's the only thing keeping me from being completely happy with it. Or is it no use....Samsung or Sprint will delay that update and concentrate on the new slate of phones instead, leaving us Epic owners low on the priority list?

Thanks for your help.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me ask you a question: What do you want to do? The Epic is a great phone, and if you decide on keeping it that would be a good decision on your path.

Yes, there are going to be better phones, but is it for you. You have time to decide on what you want to do.

I know you'll make the right decision.

Best of luck.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What I want is the Epic with Touchwiz 3.0. But...according to what I read with Samsung's track record...they take forever to put out the updates, if they ever do put them out. That's what I'm fearful of.

I seem to believe that that a new Galaxy S phone will hit Sprint. But this time it might be one without a KB. As aforementioned....a KBless Galaxy is sexier...but then you have the touchscreen keyboard hogging up screen space when composing messages. For that reason, I'd rather the style of the Epic. The only bummer is the lack of Touchwiz 3.0 and the customization that comes with it.

What I want is that. I want to wait but don't know if I should. I mean, Froyo SHOULD eventually make its way to the Epic. But...will TW 3.0 or better? That hasn't even been speculated. There have only been hints as to when Froyo's coming. As they say...you can't have your cake and eat it too. That might be me in this case. Just the thought of both those updates coming makes it worthwhile to contemplate waiting. But...will it be in vain is the question.

DaveWW00

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
touchwiz is why you want the phone? if you want customization get launcherpro or one of the other alternatives. you'll get much more customization out of one of those than touchwiz.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My only complaint with the phone is no froyo. If you don't like the tw installed try a different launcher?

I also wish I didn't have the keyboard. I only use swype.

I'm just hoping that with the nexus being samsung this time around maybe samsung will jump on top of things.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, essentially: recently purchased an Epic to (theoretically) hold me over until HP Palm releases the real next-gen webOS device. I've found Android to be good enough as an OS (although nowhere near as easy or pleasant to use as webOS) and to offer all of the functionality and apps that I've been missing with my Pre. The Epic itself is fine--beautiful screen, but I actually don't like the keyboard--and until I saw all of the newer Android phones coming to other carriers I've been fine with keeping the Epic until toward the end of 2011 (when I expect webOS to have the same basic level of functionality).

But then I think: first, all of the dual-core processor-based phones being introduced at CES likely won't actually be on the market for a few months at least (right?). Also, Sprint has announced nothing other than the Shift, and so any replacement for the Epic/Evo is likely coming sometime in the summer.

Also, even running Android 2.1, my Epic performs fine. Maybe it's coming from a Pre with its lagginess and low-memory issues, but I have no problem whatsoever with anything I've done so far in terms of performance. And once 2.2 comes, that should do nothing but get better. In short, I don't see dual-core processors as becoming at all important until quite some time in the future.

Maybe Honeycomb (or its smartphone equivalent) will benefit from higher-end processors, but I don't imagine anything will really suffer from the Epic's Hummingbird in the meantime. It's sort of like Intel's announcement of Sandy Bridge stuff: the Core i5 in my HP Envy 14 notebook isn't suddenly incapable of performing well just because faster processors are now available.

So, for myself, I'm inclined to stick with the Epic for the next year until my Sprint upgrade is available again. The only thing that might change this decision is if HP Palm surprises everyone and has both a next-gen smartphone ready to ship earlier than June and has line up the heavy-hitters with apps for the platform. And in that case, I'll just buy one at full price...

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
touchwiz is why you want the phone? if you want customization get launcherpro or one of the other alternatives. you'll get much more customization out of one of those than touchwiz.

that's only half of it. Froyo also. I specifically like TW3.0's customization over launcherpro or others.

I know I'm not the only one with that on my wish list. What seperates me somewhat from the other Epic owners is that I have an option here. However, only one would satisfy my real wants and needs. Returning it is the real downer. At least keeping it, one can't help but think that Froyo and TW3.0 has to come. But...Samsung dominates in staring contests. The wait could be a week, month, months, year or years. That is really nerve wrecking.

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe that you'll see Samsung release Froyo for the Epic. I think you'll find that the technical issues will be too much for them to overcome and will pull what Sony did with the xperia.

So going off that you have 2 options

*Learn to love 2.1 w/ current TW
* Embrace rooting and donate to the community developers who are making some great products.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
that's only half of it. Froyo also. I specifically like TW3.0's customization over launcherpro or others.

I know I'm not the only one with that on my wish list. What seperates me somewhat from the other Epic owners is that I have an option here. However, only one would satisfy my real wants and needs. Returning it is the real downer. At least keeping it, one can't help but think that Froyo and TW3.0 has to come. But...Samsung dominates in staring contests. The wait could be a week, month, months, year or years. That is really nerve wrecking.

I'm in the same camp as you; I love TW3! You should really check out the Syndicate ROM 1.02. When it comes to stability, features, and speed this rom is the winner. It also adds TW3 to your phone. I've had the same ROM for nearly 2 months, and it's rock solid. With Syndicate you don't have to feel like you need to keep installing the latest beta every week. If you want professional grade, go with Syndicate.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you were guided visually, would you be willing to give it a shot?
I'm not either. I ended up watching a step-by-step video on you tube and just did what the person on the video did =D

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am not computer savvy enough to root my phone and change roms.

It is intimidating until you watch a good walk-through. If you are computer savvy enough to install a driver then I think you'll be OK. It made me go from thinking "this damn phone will never get 2.2" to only wanting 2.2 to be released so so really incredible ROMS would come out.

The voacab is also intimidating. learning ROM, nandroid, deodex, etc etc.

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing about having someone do it... Once you try 1 ROM you're going to want to try the others, then try cosmetic mods, the list goes on and on.

I'm an IT professional and even I had my doubts about my ability because I have 0 Linux experience. However, the community has made some wonderful tools that really only require being able to click OK, and Start.

If you tell me what you're looking to get out of rooting I will point to you the best guides since let me tell you.... not all are created equal.

DaveWW00

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe that you'll see Samsung release Froyo for the Epic. I think you'll find that the technical issues will be too much for them to overcome and will pull what Sony did with the xperia.

* Embrace rooting and donate to the community developers who are making some great products.

You don't think samsung will release froyo for epic? What makes you think that especially consider test builds of Froyo are already out for the Epic? I'm not sure what technical issues you are talking about but there is nothing i see that couldnt be resolved. The GPS issues seem to be the most common problem but considering some people dont have the problem and others with the problem have fixed it, im pretty sure Samsung can make the corrections in the official release or soon after. My guess is Samsung has already released it to Sprint and now we are just waiting for them to jam all of their crapware, sprintID, and other junk into it.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing about having someone do it... Once you try 1 ROM you're going to want to try the others, then try cosmetic mods, the list goes on and on.

I'm an IT professional and even I had my doubts about my ability because I have 0 Linux experience. However, the community has made some wonderful tools that really only require being able to click OK, and Start.

If you tell me what you're looking to get out of rooting I will point to you the best guides since let me tell you.... not all are created equal.

I want to put the ext4 file system and a good rock solid 2.2 on my phone. I need the gps and everything working without all the hassles. Battery life is also important.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I agree BUT do not understand..how is it our groupie developers can get over such "technical" barriers yet a MAJOR corp cant????? pure BS

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree BUT do not understand..how is it our groupie developers can get over such "technical" barriers yet a MAJOR corp cant????? pure BS

That's exactly wha I'm saying! I bet Samsung is going to do to the epic what they did to the moment. Bought the moment for my gf early last year and she was so diappointed that froyo wouldn't be available for her device!

Sent from my Epic 4G

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you root it, there are touchwiz 3.0 ports from the other gala s phones., besides everything good you get from rooting.

Look into it, here and here. Plenty of people to help you out on AC.
You wont regret rooting man, its awesome. I can get 24 hours of battery life outta my evo now, all while running android 2.3 just because i can! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63