DK28 update question

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I would like my phone to work the way it should, and since Sprint/Samsung appear to not plan on making the official 2.2 update available anytime soon. I've been thinking about installing DK28, but I see reports indicating that there are problems with the market, problems with the alarms not working, and other issues. I'd like a working GPS, but at the same time, I'd like to not have any issues with things not working.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like my phone to work the way it should, and since Sprint/Samsung appear to not plan on making the official 2.2 update available anytime soon. I've been thinking about installing DK28, but I see reports indicating that there are problems with the market, problems with the alarms not working, and other issues. I'd like a working GPS, but at the same time, I'd like to not have any issues with things not working.

I flashed DK28 Froyo onto a stock Epic following "New: Restore to Froyo DK28" procedure in. in this Thread
( thanks to Ragnarokx)

I am happy to report that I have not had any problems other than the GPS issue which wasn't bad on my phone but by calling sprint and getting the MSL code i was able to do a manufacturer reset following Procedure 4 in this thread And my GPS is spot on. ( thanks to NYCSUBWAYRAT).

I am glad I did the DK28 update the performance and enhancements are well worth it. Any issues you may have will be resolved through this great community.

Good Luck

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Most if not all of these bugs have been worked out.

Missing market apps = Been fixed or downloadable fix available

Alarms not working = Never had these problems, I use multiple alarms daily.

GPS = Working now for most people. Starting to look more random hardware issues than software related. A few good "fixes" available to help GPS problems.

Its up to you but now over a month since the "leaked" version of Froyo and the devs/cooks at XDA have ironed out just about any of the issues known in the leaked stock Froyo.

Most if not all that have rooted and given these custom ROMs a chance have found a particular ROM that they like and have been enjoying the goodness of Froyo since Sammy/Sprint won't officially release it yet.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded DK28 early, had issues, and reverted back to DK18. After reading many of the forums monitored by great mods, and reading the stickies, I tried again.
Have had zero problems with any of the programs.

If you are thinking about this, read and learn Odin. The hardest part is downloading Samsung drivers to your computer - I have 64 bit but used 32, works and didn't hang up.

After that, download both the DK28 and DK18 and keep in file. The second, just in case you have issues or need to go to Sprint for service.

Using Odin took 3.5 minutes to get to Froyo. Had to go to store, not advisable to show up with Froyo, used Odin back to DK18. Another 3.5 minutes. When screen fixed reverted. It is that simple.

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I installed DK28 around Thanksgiving, and quickly went back to Dl18 as the GPS was not working, and other weirdness kept coming up.

I later follow the steps listed here How To Install OTA DK28 Rom [Samsung Epic] | Nomie's Android Blog to a the dot. Once I installed the Modem and copied the update.zip to the SD card I went outside, and turned the phone on, and allowed it to get a GPS lock. I then followed the instructions to install the DK28 (still outside), and all is well. I have improved battery life, and 5 to 10 second GPS locks.