Just thinking ahead that this might be a useful tool, especially as Vibrants are getting Froyo this way. So I just installed Kies from this link https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=8M01E3Ol

and will try it out if I can get my Epic to be recognized by it. I am currently running TrulyEpic 1.2 ROM, which doesn't show the Kies option when USB is hooked up. Quantum did. I may have to flash back to Quantum just to try Kies. Will try to update this in case anyone else is curious.

PS - If you want to see a bit of what Samsung Apps has in store for us Yanks, just enter your country as United Kingdom, and see what our cousins across the pond get.
    01-23-2011 12:02 AM
    Kies works with some custom ROMs on the EPIC 4G?
    01-23-2011 01:18 AM
    in order for the screen to come up period, usb debugging has to be off. I wasn't able to get it to connect when i first got the phone, haven't tried recently. Im running stock 2.2 dk28
    01-23-2011 10:23 AM
    So far in Kies, I get a message saying to "Connect the device in Kies mode" or similar, now that I turned USB debugging off.

I don't think the Kies mode is in the Truly Epic version of Froyo. Will flash the Quantum ROM Tuesday, and try again.
    01-23-2011 11:10 PM
    Just thinking ahead that this might be a useful tool, especially as Vibrants are getting Froyo this way. So I just installed Kies from this link 4.0 inch SUPER AMOLED Display, Layar Reality Browser, Android 2.1 OS, 1GHz CPU Speed, 5 Megapixel AF Camera, Music Player - Samsung I9000 - Infotainment - mobile phones | SAMSUNG

and will try it out if I can get my Epic to be recognized by it. I am currently running TrulyEpic 1.2 ROM, which doesn't show the Kies option when USB is hooked up. Quantum did. I may have to flash back to Quantum just to try Kies. Will try to update this in case anyone else is curious.

PS - If you want to see a bit of what Samsung Apps has in store for us Yanks, just enter your country as United Kingdom, and see what our cousins across the pond get.
    So what is it that our cousins across the pond are getting? Care to share?
    01-23-2011 11:12 PM
    It's crap. You can just mount the SD card with your USB cable attached and then the phone looks like a USB drive to your computer. Drag and drop files from computer to the phone and vice versa. I had Kies, but it was so buggy and an update brought in a virus (caught by my AV). I would suggest you stay away from Kies.
    01-24-2011 06:36 AM
    European users typically use the full Kies program for several functions:

• Installing firmware updates.
    • Syncing media files.
    • Syncing contacts.

For U.S. users of the Vibrant, Fascinate, and Captivate, Samsung has created a mini Kies utility that only does firmware updates.

There is no version of Kies that works with the Epic.
    rando991 likes this.
    01-24-2011 08:30 AM
    Thanks for replies. I didn't like Kies on my W7-64 laptop, as every boot it requested permission to run some security thing, and the fsUSB wouldn't install right, either.

Also, I like the Truly Epic ROM for it's fantastic battery life and working GPS and bluetooth (mostly) too much to switch back to Quantum just to try Kies mode. So I uninstalled Kies.

Sorry other curious Epic users...
    01-24-2011 11:18 PM
    I had Kies Air on my non-rooted Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo EC05 phone after updating the firmware on the camera my 3G went out and I thought it was cause of Kies and the Samsung Apps store (it wasn't btw) so I deleted it (like an *****) and can't get it back. I like Kies Air imo.
    05-25-2011 10:47 PM
    I thought you needed Touch Wiz 4 to make Kies work.
    05-27-2011 03:35 PM
    Kies Air works on Epic Froyo and Gingerbread. I've used it a few times to text via my computer and transfer some images. Pretty nifty.
    05-27-2011 03:55 PM