Microphone stops working after audio connection

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've started having this issue over the last couple of days: plug in an audio cable (e.g., to connect to my car's AUX connection, doesn't seem to happen with a headset cable), unplug it, and the microphone won't accept any input. I first noticed it because Shazam wasn't getting any sound, and then I noticed that voice search wasn't either.

Restart the phone and the issue resolves itself, and it might also resolve by sleeping and unsleeping (a few times)... Anybody else see this?

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
That's happened to me on many handsets before, basically, there's something in the microphone port that makes the phone still think there's something plugged in. Try blowing it out with some canned air. Sometimes the phone will only cooperate if the AUX/Headset cord is pulled out a certain way, you may want to try to pull it out slowly.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
That's happened to me on many handsets before, basically, there's something in the microphone port that makes the phone still think there's something plugged in. Try blowing it out with some canned air. Sometimes the phone will only cooperate if the AUX/Headset cord is pulled out a certain way, you may want to try to pull it out slowly.

Yes, I thought that as well at first, but then I noticed that it resolves itself in some instances without a reboot or any other intervention. Just sleeping the phone and waking it back up has fixed it in some cases.

That makes it seem more like a software issue to me...

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
not sure if its related, but when my epic is in the samsung OEM car dock, no headphones plugged in, just charging, when I talk on the phone over the speaker phone, people can barely hear me and I have to shout. What's the deal? My car stereo doesn't have aux in, I sometimes use motorola t505 bluetooth speaker, but lately that's been iffy too. Any ideas? How can I make it uesful?

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well i know when i have a blue tooth headset connected i get no sound with a video recording or voice search wont work either until i turn off the blue tooth so i would think its a software issue

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Well i know when i have a blue tooth headset connected i get no sound with a video recording or voice search wont work either until i turn off the blue tooth so i would think its a software issue

Aha!!! Now that you mention it, this was always happening in my car when I was connected to the Bluetooth handsfree. I never made the connection, because I had the headset plug problem with a Samsung Focus WP7 phone I tried out.

But, yes, that would explain why the problem happens when I'm in my car and then seems to resolve itself when I get back in the house. It's because the car/handsfree is turned off.

Thanks!