Battery Overheats and Phone Shuts Down

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First off, I know a adviser here at AC asking a question. :p

About a week ago my wife installed Angry Birds and started playing the last few days. After about 5 or 10 minutes of gameplay her battery gets hot, phone included and shuts down on her.

This is strange considering it only happens when she plays Angry Birds. Not that Angry Birds has anything to do with it but I think since the phone is working harder (graphics processor, etc.) its overloading and causing it to overheat the battery and cause a system shutdown. We have let it sit over night no problem, she uses it all day for general tasks but then when she plays Angry Birds it happens again.

Anyone heard of this? I think my course of action will be to take it into Sprint and tell them we need a replacement. I don't see anything that could be causing this other than a hardware issue related to gameplay requiring more processing power/graphics processor running.

Just for the record she is rooted, running Bonsai 1.1.2.

Myself I'm also rooted running TER 1.2 and can play Angry Birds for hours and not have this problem.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

About a week ago my wife installed Angry Birds and started playing the last few days. After about 5 or 10 minutes of gameplay her battery gets hot, phone included and shuts down on her.

This is strange considering it only happens when she plays Angry Birds. Not that Angry Birds has anything to do with it but I think since the phone is working harder (graphics processor, etc.) its overloading and causing it to overheat the battery and cause a system shutdown. We have let it sit over night no problem, she uses it all day for general tasks but then when she plays Angry Birds it happens again.

Anyone heard of this? I think my course of action will be to take it into Sprint and tell them we need a replacement. I don't see anything that could be causing this other than a hardware issue related to gameplay requiring more processing power/graphics processor running.

Myself I'm also rooted running TER 1.2 and can play Angry Birds for hours and not have this problem.

Could just be bonzai ?
or faulty phone?
why not flash TER on her phone ,and have her take a crack on angry birds, and see if the problem percist?
I know my phone gets warm, but is usually while im with the GPS and doing other funtions( im a multitasker nut) but hasn't shut down on me though, I've also been playing angry birds too and just gets warm but not heavily as descrived :/

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Could just be bonzai ?
or faulty phone?
why not flash TER on her phone ,and have her take a crack on angry birds, and see if the problem percist?
I know my phone gets warm, but is usually while im with the GPS and doing other funtions( im a multitasker nut) but hasn't shut down on me though, I've also been playing angry birds too and just gets warm but not heavily as descrived :/

Yes that will probably be my final course of action before I decide to get it replaced. I need to get it away from her for a long enough period to backup everything and get her on EXT4/CWM3 to flash TER. I still have a feeling its hardware related, not software.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes that will probably be my final course of action before I decide to get it replaced. I need to get it away from her for a long enough period to backup everything and get her on EXT4/CWM3 to flash TER. I still have a feeling its hardware related, not software.

Just give it a shot :)
then all will be answered i hope.

and lend her your phone while you're at it :p

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Put in another ROM. I use to have this problem. Although, it wasn't heat, it would happen once the battery was below 40%.... Weird I know. Well, now I use TrulyEpic and the turning off doesn't happen anymore.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Don't leavbe us hangin... What was the final verdict?

dgeezy

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone, and a buddys phone consistently do the same thing when playing Pocket Legends. I have thought of replacement but think its just gonna happen again over and over. Some apps require a lot from the phones and whilst most computers have heatsinks and fans, our handsets are limited in this nature. Aside from water cooling (lol) or fans there's not really anything we can do to combat this. Actually I found that playing with the back case of the phone off is helping.

joeehunt

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah.... i have the lg ally and let me tell you, i loveee my phone. (it's from verizon btw). all my friends have been telling me to download angry birds... "it's addicting" they say. so i finally decide to download it... I'M IN LOVE i cant stop playing it while i'm working concessions at a local softball field. it makes my night go a lot faster since i'm the only one working usually. and of course.. the one time i start to love a game, it makes my phone overheat. now please do keep in mind the ally only has i believe a 600 megahurtz processor so it's not a phone for gaming at all.

so later that night.. i had my phone plugged into my computer. my phone always got excessively warm when i played this game, but i never thought anything about it. then all the sudden when i was in the middle of playing it, my ally's notificaton light starts blinking red and the phone shuts off, which indicates that the phone is too hot to use and that i need to remove the battery if possible. so i did. then i put it back in and was still having problems with it... and i repeated that about 4 times. then when i finaly got it to turn on with the charger, it kept cycling. eventually, the sensor in my phone stopped freaking out and it started to charge. it took 5 hours to get to one percent. my personal hypothosis is that angry birds makes the cpu in any phone work excessively hard for what any phone was made to do, hense the crashing and overheating.

i hope this helped!

raka1212

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been noticing similar phenomenon with my phone too. Whenever you are playing the game or using internet (diplay intensive application) while charging, phone tends to overheat.

Arunesh Singh

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site

Hi,

Just searching for the solution of the above mentioned problem and landed to this page...I'd recently purchased moto g4 plus and installed angry birds2...previously it was working perfectly but from last few days I am also facing same problem...my fone get switch off in between the game...and this is annoying...it won't happen on normal usage of fone...
Also my office colleague also have same device and installed game on it but they have heating problem but don't have this switching off problem...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech