AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Epic 4g Official Froyo EB13 Thread

5466313803_29249b659c_z.jpg

Screen Shot provided by Ragnarokx

Update 3/17/11:
Credit: Jerry Hildenbrand, www.androidcentral.com

The Epic 4G will be updated OTA to EC05, which is Android 2.2.1 (Froyo), and according to the docs will add Sprint ID. The OTA update starts this coming Monday 3/21/11 and will run for 4 days to complete.

*** NOTE: I will be keeping an eye out for word on those who already recieved the OTA update or manually updated to Froyo EB13. I would assume you could/will still recieve the OTA update to EC05 or can update manually using the same type of methods we did with Froyo EB13. Keep checking back for more information on this... ***

Just added 3/12/11:

- Manual "update.zip" method for you to download.
- We also added the Windows Installer version.
- Plus we have the Odin version available too.

Samsung/Sprint may have pulled the OTA/OTW (Over the Air/Over the Wire) update but we understand there are those who still want to upgrade to Froyo EB13 and you can still get the files needed here!!

** Note: This are my personal files I downloaded on the official release day, they are not taken from any other sites/forums. **

Manual "update.zip" method: (This will NOT ERASE your data)

Download Link : update.zip

This is done via stock recovery. Further explanation below.

- You need to be on stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18)
- Download the update.zip file
- Place it on your root directory of your sdcard
- Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)
- Select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (You navigate by using volume up/down & select by hitting home key)
- Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into EB13 Froyo!

Windows Download/Installer Utility Version: (Complete wipe of phone)

Download Link : Windows Installer version of Froyo EB13

The Windows Download Version will install using your computer with a provided installer. Just download the file and "run" the file. It will place a icon on your desktop called "SWUpgrade for SPH-D700". Click on the SWUpgrade for SPH-D700 and follow the steps and you will have Froyo EB13 when its completed. I recommend a fully charged battery to be safe before attempting.

New: Odin to Froyo EB13: (Complete wipe of phone)

Go to the link provided below and the first procedure has the new Odin to Froyo EB13 method.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprint halts Epic 4G's Froyo update due to data, SD card issues
Credit: androidcentral.com/Phil Nickinson​

Rut ro. If you've been wondering why your Sprint Epic 4G hasn't yet received the over-the-air update to Froyo, it's because Sprint and Samsung have yanked it from the servers. Apparently a number of folks were having problems with data connectivity, or with the SD card -- or both. And while a hard-reset seemed to fix it, nobody wants to do that (Hi, mom!).

So, they pulled the update. Here's the official word:

There have been an increased number of calls into Care regarding issues with the Epic following the upgrade. As a result, the upgrade will not be pushed to more devices until a resolution for these issues is in place. The OTW update on the Samsung website will also be taken down.

Sprint and Samsung are actively working to correct these problems and release the update to all devices.

The issues being reported are related to data connectivity following the upgrade and SD card issues when attempting to access photos, music, etc. If you are experiencing these issues, a hard reset has been reported to resolve the problems. A hard reset will wipe out all the data on your device, so a backup should be done first.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Sprint Community Forums

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - S:D700.0.5S.EB13

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from ?clair to Froyo (2.2.1)
- Ability to install applications to external storage
- Improved Bluetooth device support
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing
- Flash Player 10.1
- GPS Enhancements
- Improved OS performance
- Email PIN based authentication
- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

Important Notes:
- The new software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EB13
- Access the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog for install instructions

- Released in stages beginning at 9PM on 2/21, with 100% of devices (on DI18) having received the update within 4 days

Source: Sprint Community Forums

The software is pushed from Google's servers. All upgrades from Google is pushed via OTA. We were notified this morning that it would not post until 9PM PST. The end date hasn't changed so everyone should have received the update within 4 days from today.
Okay everyone thats 9PM PST (West Coast) time, 10pm MST, 11PM CDT (Midwest) and 12AM/midnight EST (East Coast)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a bit of FYI for all you rooters and custom ROM flashers out there make sure you take precautions over the next day to get your information backed up on SD Card or MybackUp/Titanium Backup if you plan on upgrading once EB13 is released. Even ROMs, addons, themes, etc. grab a backup of them and save them, you never know what you may need down the road or be able to still use once the fog clears and we get rooted again and running ROMs.

For everyone else going from stock Eclair to EB13 Froyo, same thing.. Make sure you contacts/gmail/calendars etc. are sync'ed with your Google account just incase something goes south on the upgrade which it shouldn't.

Everyone: Have a fully charged battery ready for when the update comes, however you choose to do it... OTA/manual/Odin. Nothing worse than having a near dead battery and can't finish an update.. Just a word of advice I did a complete reinstall the other day and by the time I redownloaded apps and all I sucked down 30-40% of my battery so be prepared.

Remember the update will not effect anything on your SD cards so anything there is SAFE.

Can't wait for Monday, its going to be crazy around here so please try and search out those questions you may have for answers in this thread once things start rolling on Monday to cut down on repeated posts/questions...

Thanks everyone!
Paul627g

Helpful Links:
Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?
[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone) (Return to factory stock Eclair from ANY SETUP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems that Samsung Open Source Release Center has the Official Froyo EB13 Source Code Available to download. Sprint has also acknowledge the OTA release starting 2/21 and says everyone should have Froyo 2.2 EB13 available to them by 2/25.

I already downloaded it. Nothing flashable, just the source code. We'll have to wait until Monday, but at least this confirms our current release date.

The good news: overclocked kernels, here we come!

Download Link : Froyo EB13

Enter D700 into the search box and select Froyo B13 from the list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: www.androidcentral.com/Jerry Hildenbrand

Samsung Epic 4g

- Update will be pushed over a 4-day period (Effective 2/21/11)
- After the update completes, verify the new software version (Menu > Settings> About Phone)
- Baseband Version = S: D700.0.5S.EB13
- Build Number = FROYO.EB13
- Enhancements/fixes: upgrade to Froyo 2.2, improved bluetooth device support, bluetooth voice dialing, Flash Player 10.1, GPS enhancements, improved OS performance, ability to install applications to external storage

- Your on Froyo DK28/custom ROMs and want to return to factory Eclair 2.1 (DI18) to receive the OTA update, [How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

List of Features for EB13/Change Log ** Based on DK28 Froyo features **

[FONT=&quot]-[/FONT] The Mobile AP settings, which you use to make the device a Wi-Fi hotspot, now shows more options to make the connection open, or secure etc.
- Power button can now be set to end phone calls
- 5 buttons in pull down notification menu (added ringer toggle)
- The Wireless and Network section has the new USB settings – Which can be set for a particular action when USB is connected, or select to ask when connected.
- Sound and Display, were together earlier, now as different sections. So adjusting the brightness now is far easier.
- Locale on Text – Selecting through a whole big list of languages to type.
- Voice input added in, to search.
- "Alarm" app changed to "Clock", now has built in timer, stopwatch, world clock
- Location and Security – Sensor Aiding is something new you would see. These sensors enhance the pedestrian positioning and so saves battery.
- Pinch-to-zoom on the homescreen – A beautiful addition. It is called Leap by Samsung.
- The wallpapers gallery has some cool new wallpapers.
- Add and remove home screens in TW launcher
- Menu Bar – Shows the auto-rotation option directly in there, making it easier to choose the option rather than going to the orientation in settings page.
- The count of unread messages on the messaging icon in the bottom dock, is changed.
- The icons beside the various Settings names, are all colored.
- Ability to turn off 3G via Settings or holding power button
- Task manager – It has got a RAM Manager where you can control the RAM usage.
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1
- Cursor comes in, with a blue inverted drop shape, to help you select text more easily.
- The keyboard now brings in the numerics and accented characters on long pressing of the alphabets.
- Google groups enters the contacts section. Even the Facebook contacts join in.
- Notifications section – Shows how many bluetooth transfers were successful and how many failed, at one go.
- The external SD has got a new folder in the “My Files” section.
- The Long press Power button – It brings a new option “Data Network mode” where you can switch the SIM network usage on/off for the internet data connection.
- Ability to change applications in TouchWiz Launcher dock

** as soon as we have a official change log for EB13 I will have it posted.

Last edited:

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc?

To answer you question, no Odin is not required. This is done via stock recovery. Further explanation below.

- You need to be on stock Eclair 2.1 (DI18)
- Download the update.zip file when it becomes available
- Place it on your root directory of your sdcard
- Boot into stock recovery mode (press and hold volume down+camera+power for a few seconds)
- Select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
- Sit back and wait for the update to finish and your phone will reboot into Froyo!

Note: All this is subject to change when everything does get officially released.

With all the reading I've done, this is still fuzzy to me.

I have my stock epic with root, no roms or any kernels, but using LP. Will this update make me lose all of my settings, screen setting preferences etc? Or will everything be untouched and the upgrade will be transparent, and the only way I would know is to go into the "about phone" settings

I am guessing this will leave all your programs alone as I stated above?, or is this upgrade significant enough for the upgrade to do a full ground zero erase before it updates you from 2.1 to 2.2?

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With all the reading I've done, this is still fuzzy to me.

I have my stock epic with root, no roms or any kernels, but using LP. Will this update make me lose all of my settings, screen setting preferences etc? Or will everything be untouched and the upgrade will be transparent, and the only way I would know is to go into the "about phone" settings

I am guessing this will leave all your programs alone as I stated above?, or is this upgrade significant enough for the upgrade to do a full ground zero erase before it updates you from 2.1 to 2.2?

Thanks!
You will be able to receive the OTA with your setup. See Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc? thread, first post.

Settings could possibly be reset during the OTA update but data should remain intact from what we saw when the Samsung Vibrant got its update.

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
What defines an install as stock? Surely everyone has their phone personalized in some way or another.

My own phone...I deleted most Sprintware, touchwiz, and live wallpapers among other things that I dont recall.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What defines an install as stock? Surely everyone has their phone personalized in some way or another.

My own phone...I deleted most Sprintware, touchwiz, and live wallpapers among other things that I dont recall.

It sounds like your Eclair 2.1 (DI18)/rooted? In order to receive the OTA updates you MUST have all Sprintbloat ware, Touchwiz on the phone or you will not receive the OTA update.

Can I Still Get OTA Updates with Leaked Froyo/Custom ROM/etc? <-- See post #1

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well then I'm screwed. I didn't save all my removed apps. Some, but not all, and I've tried installing update.zips manually and got errors each and every time. I used to mess with my BlackBerry all the time, bricking it then fixing it with no problems. I try to follow instructions for the same thing on Android and I get confused beyond belief. I'm not stupid, but not a single set of instructions to install an Android OS has made sense to me.

I'll deal with 2.1 until I get a new phone. Screwit.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well then I'm screwed. I didn't save all my removed apps. Some, but not all, and I've tried installing update.zips manually and got errors each and every time. I used to mess with my BlackBerry all the time, bricking it then fixing it with no problems. I try to follow instructions for the same thing on Android and I get confused beyond belief. I'm not stupid, but not a single set of instructions to install an Android OS has made sense to me.

Sorry to hear that. Anytime you change your mind and would like to give it a shot again please give us a shout and we can attempt to get you updated to Froyo goodness.

Reactions: BBooDad

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

You can use Odin to return to straight stock and it will put the original apps and stuff back on the phone, once you do that, it will work just fine. I believe there is a post of using Odin with pictures somewhere. Can't remember if it is here or over on XDA.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I might, but at this point I'm sick of being a slave to my phone. I did get rooted..heck that was easy. But getting the update.zip to unpack was never successful.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can use Odin to return to straight stock and it will put the original apps and stuff back on the phone, once you do that, it will work just fine. I believe there is a post of using Odin with pictures somewhere. Can't remember if it is here or over on XDA.
You can find that here. See below

I might, but at this point I'm sick of being a slave to my phone. I did get rooted..heck that was easy. But getting the update.zip to unpack was never successful.

You can find all you need with photos and lots of support by clicking below.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't you need a custom 2.2 ROM if you've done the EXT4 file system conversion? I would assume the official 2.2 ROM for Epic will not support EXT4.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually you just need a kernel that supports EXT4. I'm sure there will be an EXT4 compatible official Froyo kernel out shortly after the release. If you can't wait and want to use official Froyo on RFS, then just Odin back to stock first.

Reactions: makeotapackage-j4

miarwi

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am very new to the Android community. I recently exchanged my Pre for the Epic 4g. I finally had the time to root my Epic last week. Now, my question is very simple, What do I need to do before the Froyo 2.2 update? I'm still learning the terms of AndroidCentral verses PreCentral. I'm still not sure how to flash, install Roms etc... Don't give me a hard time as I am just beginning to get into the internals. I don't even have a clue where to get a Rom. I just know that I want this Froyo update and need to rid my Epic of anything that may be a hinderence. Any advice would be appreciated and I promise that I will get to know my Epic just like I did my Pre =)

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the Froyo speculation thread, but figured I would post it here too.

I just hope that if this information turns out to be another false rumor, that people don't say Sprint/Samsung lied to us again. The fact is this is a rumor still and not official information from Sprint/Samsung. I do hope it is true, but I am just going to be like everyone else (who hasn't rooted and installed custom) and wait and see.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am very new to the Android community. I recently exchanged my Pre for the Epic 4g. I finally had the time to root my Epic last week. Now, my question is very simple, What do I need to do before the Froyo 2.2 update? I'm still learning the terms of AndroidCentral verses PreCentral. I'm still not sure how to flash, install Roms etc... Don't give me a hard time as I am just beginning to get into the internals. I don't even have a clue where to get a Rom. I just know that I want this Froyo update and need to rid my Epic of anything that may be a hinderence. Any advice would be appreciated and I promise that I will get to know my Epic just like I did my Pre =)

Take a look at this thread.

Reactions: miarwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair