force close issues after official Froyo update FIX!

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
My wife is having issues with her stock clock app and her stock music player app. They both keep force closing. Went to applications and cleared data on both of the apps but still getting force closes. Anybody else after app issues?

UPDATE this is a post from darkmist that he/she posted in another topic that shows how to solve this issue. apologizes for not knowing how to transfer his/her post correctly but the credit goes to darkmist.

Darkmist wrote
"update.zip does not wipe your phone.

I just thought I'd let you guys know about a little problem I ran into updating to 2.2.1.

when DK28 first came out, I upgraded to it and then couldn't use anything that had to access the SD card. The phone knew there was an SD card in there, but I couldn't view any pictures, the camera app force closed (amongst a few other apps), none of my ringtones worked (since they were on the SD card.) I figured this was something wrong with the update, since DK28 wasn't "official".
Today, when I updated to the official 2.2.1, I had the exact same problem. All I had to do was backup my entire SD card to my computer, reformat the card, put all my stuff back on to the card, and now its working perfectly.

Don't know if anyone's having this same problem, but hope it helps. "

Last edited:

edoles

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had a system force close, right after a reboot.

No rooting, used the Samsung desktop client to do a clean install of EB13. Not sure why this is happening. Maybe it needs a couple of reboot cycles?

Lisabeth99

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
My wife is having issues with her stock clock app and her stock music player app. They both keep force closing. Went to applications and cleared data on both of the apps but still getting force closes. Anybody else after app issues?

UPDATE this is a post from darkmist that he/she posted in another topic that shows how to solve this issue. apologizes for not knowing how to transfer his/her post correctly but the credit goes to darkmist.

Darkmist wrote
"update.zip does not wipe your phone.

I just thought I'd let you guys know about a little problem I ran into updating to 2.2.1.

when DK28 first came out, I upgraded to it and then couldn't use anything that had to access the SD card. The phone knew there was an SD card in there, but I couldn't view any pictures, the camera app force closed (amongst a few other apps), none of my ringtones worked (since they were on the SD card.) I figured this was something wrong with the update, since DK28 wasn't "official".
Today, when I updated to the official 2.2.1, I had the exact same problem. All I had to do was backup my entire SD card to my computer, reformat the card, put all my stuff back on to the card, and now its working perfectly.

Don't know if anyone's having this same problem, but hope it helps. "
Thanks, fixed the force close issues with the alarm clock, camera, gallery, music player, video player.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problems as all of you. However I'm also having problems syncing with my google account. It say it can't sync my google or my twitter. I'm going to try the formating of the sd card and try and reload the update to see if anything just didn't go over well. I'm so not impressed with the update though. They ruined the messaging app for starters...

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
A quick way to check and see if it is the sd card is to turn off phone. Remove card. Reboot phone. And check the apps again. if they work then u ned to reformat sd card. Did that on my wifes phone and the alarm clock app worked.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup doing it now. The music player didn't do the force close thing, just saying no sd card inserted. Now onto the sync problem.

In my sync settings it says,
"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly"

I'm guessing reinstalling the update may fix that one. Not sure though, I haven't heard of any problems from anywhere else about that one.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Yup doing it now. The music player didn't do the force close thing, just saying no sd card inserted. Now onto the sync problem.

In my sync settings it says,
"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly"

I'm guessing reinstalling the update may fix that one. Not sure though, I haven't heard of any problems from anywhere else about that one.

dunno if you can reinstall the update after already installing it. u might get a failure error.

what you could do is remove account and readd it. i have had this error before and i think doing that fixed it. or it might have corrected itself. not for sure which one it was lol.

Adam G

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Anybody have a link showing how to reformat the sd card? And is the best way to backup the sd card data just to copy/paste to your desktop?

Thanks

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Best wa to back up sd card is to ur desktop. Just create a folder, copy ur sd card into it.

Easy format to insure no problems.
Plug phone into pc, enable mass storage, copy sd card to ur pc, afterwards disconnect phone from pc (be sure to disconnect it first by pulling down notification bar and selecting click to turn off or disconnect usb storage or something like that)

Then after that hit menu, settings, go to sd card and phone storage, tap unmount sd card, then hit format sd card. Ok the operation. Once it is done it remounts itself.

Then reconect phone to pc and copy ur backup back onto the sd (just don't copy the new folder that u created. Open that folder u created for ur backup and select everything inside of it to copy)

After that is done u may have to reboot ur phone. Ten all ur apps should work

Reactions: robyn25 and Adam G

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Best wa to back up sd card is to ur desktop. Just create a folder, copy ur sd card into it.

Plug phone into pc, enable mass storage, copy sd card to ur pc, afterwards disconnect phone from pc (be sure to disconnect it first by pulling down notification bar and selecting click to turn off or disconnect usb storage or something like that)

Then after that hit menu, settings, go to sd card and phone storage, tap unmount sd card, then hit format sd card. Ok the operation. Once it is done it remounts itself.

Then reconect phone to pc and copy ur backup back onto the sd (just don't copy the new folder that u created. Open that folder u created for ur backup and select everything inside of it to copy)

Thank you sooo much for the detailed explanation, without this my husband's phone would have been useless! It wasn't getting calls, texts, and was constantly force closing, this fixed it all!
Thanks again!

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Question:

1) does this fix the FC on the camera app when select "sport" shot?
2) does this fix the horrid video recording when in slightly dark lighting?

Thanks!

rucamor

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know if reformatti.g the sd card after manual update fixes all the horrid problems people are posting, I have no problem doing that as long as it clears up all the bugs

cmpuopolo

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem after the update as well. After two weeks of frustration and trying a million different things I finally fixed it.

1. Going to settings/sd card and unmount it.
2. Put sd card into the micro card that came with the phone and put it in the computer and transfer files
3. Put the sd card back into the phone and go to settings/sd card/format
4. Once this is completed, restart the phone.

When the phone restarts these problems should be fixed and you can transfer the data back from the computer to the phone.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX