EB13 and battery life

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So far, EB13 has been treating me pretty well. Things seem to be working as they should, and there are some things that work MUCH better for me (e.g., GPS is now flawless).

However, battery life seems to have taken a real hit. Normally, I'd be at about 60% remaining after about 5 hours of normal use. Now, I'm at around 40%. And, I've been careful today to make sure I'm using it like normal (as opposed to playing around with it after the update).

Anybody else experiencing this? I did a manual update using update.zip, and so didn't wipe my Epic first. Could there be leftover crud causing this phenomenon?

Any thoughts appreciated.

markot86

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Give it a few days. Whenever you update the phone it takes a few charge cycles for the phone to calibrate to the correct battery percentage.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
A good tip for recalibrating your battery is to fully charge it, including a bump charge (after the light turns blue, remove the cable and reinsert it until it turns blue again). Then, using the phone like your normally would (i.e., don't try to burn it out) use your phone until it dies completely. Then charge it back up to full.

Typically, over or under-charging a Li-On battery is not recommended as it can shorten the overall lifespan. However, performing this calibration method once a month or so should keep your battery meter accurate without doing too much damage.

Reactions: MBM7881

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
hmmm.interesting...i didnt know that! thanks!!! :D i'm gonna try that. although my battery life has been great before and after the froyo update but i'm still gonna give this a try

A good tip for recalibrating your battery is to fully charge it, including a bump charge (after the light turns blue, remove the cable and reinsert it until it turns blue again). Then, using the phone like your normally would (i.e., don't try to burn it out) use your phone until it dies completely. Then charge it back up to full.

Typically, over or under-charging a Li-On battery is not recommended as it can shorten the overall lifespan. However, performing this calibration method once a month or so should keep your battery meter accurate without doing too much damage.

Chetbungo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that the app killer is useless on 2.2 and does more harm than good, did not read on this site. When I updated to 2.2 i removed the app killer i was using, and my battery seems to be lasting just as long if not longer. I have been using the phone extremely heavy today and am at 40 percent left. Normally it would of been dead by now with an app killer and the amount I used it. Gonna give it a few more days of testing before I come up with a final verdict on what works best for me. Try it out if you are running one

Andrew.A

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Weird my battery life has increased significantly. My normal usage for today has been above normal. Pulled off the charger at 6:30am today and its currently 5:02pm and the indicator shows the battery hasn't dropped below 90/80% life. By right now with little to no use I am seeing below 50%. Before I had a app to turn off 3g, but now I am just using the data network mode switch. Hopefully the battery life stays this way!

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
My battery life is pretty amazing. I took my phone off the charger at about 9 this morning and at 5 today my phone still has about 55% battery left. That is a huge improvement over what I was getting with DK28 and DI18.

I did the .exe update method via the Samsung website.

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Weird my battery life has increased significantly. My normal usage for today has been above normal. Pulled off the charger at 6:30am today and its currently 5:02pm and the indicator shows the battery hasn't dropped below 90/80% life. By right now with little to no use I am seeing below 50%. Before I had a app to turn off 3g, but now I am just using the data network mode switch. Hopefully the battery life stays this way!

Let's trade.
Mine was unplugged at 7.30am and by 1pm it was at 20%.

hawzy5214

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen a major bump here. Im a teacher, so being home on vacation Im using it quite a bit. Started the day at 67 and Im around 40 now..

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
My battery life is pretty amazing. I took my phone off the charger at about 9 this morning and at 5 today my phone still has about 55% battery left. That is a huge improvement over what I was getting with DK28 and DI18.

I did the .exe update method via the Samsung website.

I too did this update. I've installed LauncherPro Plus but have stuck to using TouchWiz for now. I've supposedly got over 17 hours since unplugged yet still have 70% of my battery left. This is incredible.

robyn25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My battery seems worse. I know I need to give it a few days though. Also, when wifi is on it now appears under battery usage.. I don't think it ever did before ..seems I would have noticed considering I almost always have mine on wifi. Does that mean wifi is using more battery than it used to or no?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So far, EB13 has been treating me pretty well. Things seem to be working as they should, and there are some things that work MUCH better for me (e.g., GPS is now flawless).

However, battery life seems to have taken a real hit. Normally, I'd be at about 60% remaining after about 5 hours of normal use. Now, I'm at around 40%. And, I've been careful today to make sure I'm using it like normal (as opposed to playing around with it after the update).

Anybody else experiencing this? I did a manual update using update.zip, and so didn't wipe my Epic first. Could there be leftover crud causing this phenomenon?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thats weird. since i did the manual update, i unplugged my phone yesterday morning at 9am and its 11am now the next day and i still have 50% battery left. With normal usage and texting alot.

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My battery seems worse. I know I need to give it a few days though. Also, when wifi is on it now appears under battery usage.. I don't think it ever did before ..seems I would have noticed considering I almost always have mine on wifi. Does that mean wifi is using more battery than it used to or no?

I'm noticing the same thing.

21h 5m 25s unplugged

Display 70%
Wi-Fi 13%
Cell standby 11%

This is with 26% battery left. I'm letting it die out so I can do a full recharge.

I'm wondering if this is because I had WiFi turned on over night and I didn't stay at home (on 3g overnight). WiFi used to maybe be like 2% under heavy use when i was on 2.1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2