Understanding Juice Defender

jonbgood

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I know there are a few threads talking about Juice Defender and if it really works or not, but I have a few further questions. I have been on the quest to find better battery life for my Epic 4g. I was so sick of reading tips that said "just turn off bluetooth, gps, wifi, 4g, brightness...don't make calls...try to limit the amount of time your phone is on...." etc. I have already had success in the form of rooting, flashing Ace ROM, and using SetCPU. My battery usually lasted about 6 hours (sigh...) but today has lasted about 12 (!). But I would love to squeeze another few hours out of it to last me a complete day (about 16 hours). So I'm trying Juice Defender. What I want to know is:

1. What exactly does it do? For the default setting-does it just shut off 3g when my screen is off or does it do other things?
2. If I text a lot, is it counter-productive to have juice defender shut 3g off when my screen is off because then it has to keep turning it on every time I text?
3. If I do custom settings, how can I tweak it to make things better?
4. What does Ultimate Juice do differently, and is it worth the upgrade?

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know much about it but I'm running the ACS rom and get amazing battery life. Carrier IQ sucks and having it removed improves battery life

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I know there are a few threads talking about Juice Defender and if it really works or not, but I have a few further questions. I have been on the quest to find better battery life for my Epic 4g. I was so sick of reading tips that said "just turn off bluetooth, gps, wifi, 4g, brightness...don't make calls...try to limit the amount of time your phone is on...." etc. I have already had success in the form of rooting, flashing Ace ROM, and using SetCPU. My battery usually lasted about 6 hours (sigh...) but today has lasted about 12 (!). But I would love to squeeze another few hours out of it to last me a complete day (about 16 hours). So I'm trying Juice Defender. What I want to know is:

1. What exactly does it do? For the default setting-does it just shut off 3g when my screen is off or does it do other things?
2. If I text a lot, is it counter-productive to have juice defender shut 3g off when my screen is off because then it has to keep turning it on every time I text?
3. If I do custom settings, how can I tweak it to make things better?
4. What does Ultimate Juice do differently, and is it worth the upgrade?

1. Yes, the default settings for juice defender is that it shuts off 3G. Remember, with the 3G settings off, all the other android services that poll the internet (twitter, facebook) are off during that period.
2. No, your cell radio is still on with default Juice Defender. Text messages are sent over cell network not 3G network.
3. I think the default are good, but if you want to save more juice on free version, you can set it turn off your 3G for a longer period (30 mins instead of 15).
4. Ultimate juice allows customizations on when you turn off your data, for example you can set UJ to put your phone in airplane mode during the night when you are asleep. you can have UJ turn off data service based on your location automatically. there are just more automatic customizations of when it turns off your 3G data.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I like ultimate juice. It lets have the option to disable the 3g while certain apps are on too. It's really customizable and worth the few bucks. My battery with jd and uj lasts from 6am until 10-11pm unless I'm on web or phone all day.

IZZY Dead

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The tip that helped me the most because I had the kind of battery life like you at 1 time was I have access to wi-fi most of the time and setting it to never sleep while using wi-fi. Wi-fi uses less juice than 3G and killing the DRM service in running services. I now only have to charge my Epic once every 36- 40 hours thats with 2-3 hours worth of phone calls a day and light texting, light browsing and occasional music listening. I also run my screen for the most part at the lowest setting. Your reception also has a big thing to do with your battery life. I have an Airave which gives me no less than 4 Bars (-65 to -76 dbm). So you might wanna check your signal strength the lower the dbm number the better the signal. Oh! I tried juice defender. I wasn't impressed, but I was desperate and almost ready to go back to my BlackBerry for the battery life. But now all is well because going back to a BlackBerry would have been a Major step back. Thank You Android Gods.

Last edited: