Epic vs Evo vs Shift

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I am due an upgrade and have narrowed it to the EVO, Epic and Shift. Here's my problem. I worry about the EVO's battery life and lack of keyboard. I worry about the Epic's 'loose' slider giving out and I worry about the shift's screen size being unfriendly to my aging eyes(I don't wear glasses but use reading glasses in the evening on the computer). Wed I made my mind up to get the EVO but couldn't get to the store. Thursday I made my mind up to get the Epic but BB was having a problem with their system and yesterday I just decided to get the Shift and be done with it :). The reason I am posting in this forum is because I have leaned toward the Epic most of the time. Any help from ones who have had all or at least 2 of them? Or anyone, for that matter. I plan on getting one today!

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Wife has an evo and I have an epic. Here's what I have seen. Battery life is about the same (stock). Evos screen is bigger but much harder to see outside. Can't really comment on the hinges as I use swype almost exclusively. The shift has the same size screen as the epic and it's keyboard doesn't have a row of keys just for numbers. i prefer the epic as does my wife.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Wife has an evo and I have an epic. Here's what I have seen. Battery life is about the same (stock). Evos screen is bigger but much harder to see outside. Can't really comment on the hinges as I use swype almost exclusively. The shift has the same size screen as the epic and it's keyboard doesn't have a row of keys just for numbers. i prefer the epic as does my wife.

the shift is a 3.6 inch screen. The epic is 4 inch. The epic has one of the best cpu and gpu out there. The amoled screen is way better than standard lcd and i dont think htc makes that great of stuff. I had 3 evos the first week they came out. I am still on launch day epic. The epic is hands down the best. I work for sprint at a corporate store and i have mine rooted with custom rom and overclocked kernel. extended life battery was for me and they are 20 bucks on ebay

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I would get the epic, screen is just amazing to look at. evo and shift look so dull next to the epic. I havent had any problems with the keyboard. i drop my phone often. keyboard actually comes in handy when ur fingers are greasey or dirty(pretty much any fast food). With the right ROM on the epic, youll love it even more.

capitaltpt

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I would go for the Epic. With the custom ROMs out now, you will not find a smoother experience anywhere and battery life with them is great. Even with heavy usage, I get AT LEAST 12 hours out of my phone.

As far as the hinges, I've had no issue with them loosening what so ever. I have a Seidio active X case which I had replaced just recently because I had a clip break and even after taking it off, no looseness in the phone slider. If you're not in a huge hurry, you can also wait and see what the Galaxy S II offers in a few months.

I am due an upgrade and have narrowed it to the EVO, Epic and Shift. Here's my problem. I worry about the EVO's battery life and lack of keyboard. I worry about the Epic's 'loose' slider giving out and I worry about the shift's screen size being unfriendly to my aging eyes(I don't wear glasses but use reading glasses in the evening on the computer). Wed I made my mind up to get the EVO but couldn't get to the store. Thursday I made my mind up to get the Epic but BB was having a problem with their system and yesterday I just decided to get the Shift and be done with it :). The reason I am posting in this forum is because I have leaned toward the Epic most of the time. Any help from ones who have had all or at least 2 of them? Or anyone, for that matter. I plan on getting one today!

dweeks

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I just recently upgraded to an Epic and am very happy with it. My wife has one too and loves it. She was lucky enough to get the android 2.2 update before it was pulled, which gives the phone a lot of new features especially voice dialing. I miss being able to dial from my BT headset, but hopefully the 2.2 fix will be out soon. As for the EVO, I've read some reviews and the keyboard on the EVO Shift is not that great.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I would get the epic, screen is just amazing to look at. evo and shift look so dull next to the epic. I havent had any problems with the keyboard. i drop my phone often. keyboard actually comes in handy when ur fingers are greasey or dirty(pretty much any fast food). With the right ROM on the epic, youll love it even more.

Lol, and if you stay away from the greasy fast food, you won't have to use the physical keyboard as often! Lol... I seldom use the physical keyboard because the screen for me is big enough to type on the virtual keyboard either in portrait mode or landscape mode. The virtual keyboard on this thing is that good. As as side note, I use the gingerbread keyboard though. Even so, with the physical keyboard, there are no wobbles going on.

I would go for the Epic. With the custom ROMs out now, you will not find a smoother experience anywhere and battery life with them is great. Even with heavy usage, I get AT LEAST 12 hours out of my phone.

As far as the hinges, I've had no issue with them loosening what so ever. I have a Seidio active X case which I had replaced just recently because I had a clip break and even after taking it off, no looseness in the phone slider. If you're not in a huge hurry, you can also wait and see what the Galaxy S II offers in a few months.

And I can vouch for the custom ROMs and the Active X case. There are some ROMs out there that will get you INSANE battery life and performance. Just do a lot of reading and ask questions.

The Seidio Active X case is SUPER protective. I've had my phone for a little over 3 months and have dropped my phone three times. Off my desk at work, off the bed when I was fluffing the covers, and fumbled it off my side and had it hit a concrete floor. Thing is still going strong. Probably some of the best protection out there for this phone.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Shift and it is an absolute beast. Just stock the thing is fast but rooted and overclocked it's ridiculous. I have played with friends Epics and their keyboard seem loose and flimsy but I've never been a fan of samsung anyway. I've only had the Shift about 2 months but the keyboard is still as tight as when I got it. I'm also a big fan of the Sense interface over Touchwiz, but that's just me. They are all great phones, I don't think you can wrong either way. The only negative I can think of is the screen size, but I actually like the size.

ink883

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak about the epic as I have a ego 4g that I just bought a couple of weeks ago. After my experience with wobbly sliders on several palm pre phones, I really wanted a phone with no moving parts. The large screen on the ego is great. You get use to it very fast and quickly learn to appreciate and enjoy the size.

I have never been a fan of horizontal sliders as the keyboards don't work well in a car dock. I understand virtual keyboards can be used as well as speech recognition, however, at that point, I think the larger screen is better.

Good luck - I am sure there is no wrong choice.

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol, and if you stay away from the greasy fast food, you won't have to use the physical keyboard as often! Lol... I seldom use the physical keyboard because the screen for me is big enough to type on the virtual keyboard either in portrait mode or landscape mode. The virtual keyboard on this thing is that good. As as side note, I use the gingerbread keyboard though. Even so, with the physical keyboard, there are no wobbles going on.

i also work with cars, plumbing, chemicals, and oils. I was just speaking of the average person

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I made a trip to RS and they had dropped the price of the Epic to $99 for upgrade so I jumped on it. Came home and signed in a few things then decided to run the Smartbench 2010 and it scored 725/2484. Also, salesperson told me the shift will drop to $69 from 3/13-3/19. Anyway so far so good. The screen is J
A
W.....
Thanks for the help as I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of ??'s
What is the best setting for the maximum battery life?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

go for the Epic 4G. Best screen (the colors are beautiful and its the perfect mid-sized phone, not to small like the Shift 4G, not to big like the EVO 4G), best hardware. Only bad thing is we don't get updates. Thats why we root so much!!

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
And for those wondering...it has 2.1
I know there was someone that said they received one from Sprint with 2.2 today. I can't complain, 2.1 runs excellent on this so far. And for anyone wondering about the size, think PSP Go. That's what it reminds me of.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I like the Epic 4G. Even though Touchwiz doesn't seem to be the best looking UI. I saw the screen of the Epic and was very impressed. Also, games seem to play very well on the Epic. I'm a little skeptical of HTC products. The build quality isn't always the greatest. I had an Evo and the phone creaked all the time. My D2G is so solid in comparison. Plus I read some bad things about the Shift's keyboard.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like the Epic 4G. Even though Touchwiz doesn't seem to be the best looking UI. I saw the screen of the Epic and was very impressed. Also, games seem to play very well on the Epic. I'm a little skeptical of HTC products. The build quality isn't always the greatest. I had an Evo and the phone creaked all the time. My D2G is so solid in comparison. Plus I read some bad things about the Shift's keyboard.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but why not wait until the end of the month before making a decision?

T3HKMAN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I made a trip to RS and they had dropped the price of the Epic to $99 for upgrade so I jumped on it. Came home and signed in a few things then decided to run the Smartbench 2010 and it scored 725/2484. Also, salesperson told me the shift will drop to $69 from 3/13-3/19. Anyway so far so good. The screen is J
A
W.....
Thanks for the help as I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of ??'s
What is the best setting for the maximum battery life?

Congrats on the pickup I got mine a few days ago too and have already rooted it and added a Froyo eb13ext4 build I suggest you do the same. Not to beat a dead horse but for me it was always between the Epic and Evo due to the processor size over the Shift (even if you can overclock you will have limits due to base)

For battery life the one big thing you can do is turn off the DRM setting just check the battery life thread here. Have fun!

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the pickup I got mine a few days ago too and have already rooted it and added a Froyo eb13ext4 build I suggest you do the same. Not to beat a dead horse but for me it was always between the Epic and Evo due to the processor size over the Shift (even if you can overclock you will have limits due to base)

For battery life the one big thing you can do is turn off the DRM setting just check the battery life thread here. Have fun!

What is the easiest way to do the root froyo thing? and I mean EASY :)

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
for me it was always between the Epic and Evo due to the processor size over the Shift (even if you can overclock you will have limits due to base)

Shift has a second generation processor and even at 800 MHz it's quicker than the Epic and the Evo. Check the benchmarks. :)