How is battery life on Froyo EC05 so far? *poll added*

Are you having bad battery life with EC05 stock? What ROM did you come from?

• Total voters

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been messing with mine so much I can't make a good comparison today but my smartbench and quadrant scores were higher.

boo11

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Today is my first day running EC05 unplugged. It seems as though my battery might be going down quicker than usual. Will probably need to give it more time to know for sure.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Every time there is an update, everyone says that their battery life sucks. In my opinion, it's hard to tell with a new update because you play with your phone more often. Give it a week or so and more people will have real info.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My battery since getting the OTA update to EC05 earlier this morning has been fantastic, better than it was running what I had before and that was D18 (Eclair).

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To paraphrase maverick96: My battery since getting the manual 2.2 Odin-no-kill-data update to EC05 last night has been fantastic, better than it was running what I had before and that was stock D18 (and rooted).

cheers/dom

cbrooks105

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I unplug my phone at 7pm as I leave for work. I typically plug it back in when I get to work to top off what was burned during my commute. By noon its down to like 70% already. Today after EC05 the battery meter is still full without the morning charge.

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
how do we know that these readings aren't just re-programmed battery life readings? Remember when Apple had the connectivity issue stating that the indicator wasn't showing a real true reading? :)

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Battery life seems better to me. Maybe it has to do with managing the connection via 3g/4g. It's all anecdotal though.

I want to use SetCPU again since you can overclock and underclock (which will really save battery life) but I think it doesnt play nice wiht EC05 and had given me the black screen of death all morning.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
To me the battery percent and battery icon are just relative pieces of info. The true indictor of battery life is how long a full charge lasts. In my case this is typically around 24 hours. 36 hours if I don't use it at all. And about 16 hours with heavy use depending on how many minutes I'm making or taking calls. I also believe there is room for improvement in my case because I haven't removed the bloatware and other preloaded stuff that tends to reload itself and waste battery with the widgets and whatever they run in the background. That appears is one of the biggest power savings things for me anyways. It seems to have boosted the time on a full charge by about 15% or 20%. My most recent power savings step was adding juicedefender. I think I have it set to defaults and it claims to increase things about 1.3 to 1.5 times more battery life. I haven't had it on mine long enough to verify that it is indeed improving it by that much. But I have noticed that it is improving it.

dead78

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
seems about the same to me so far, maybe a little better, but I haven't done anything to improve battery life under Froyo.

In fact, since so much bloatware has been added, a thread with advice for improving battery performance while using Froyo would be pretty helpful.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I don't yet have EC05, I have EB13 Froyo, but I will offer this: I tried Juice Defender, but don't have it now. What has helped improve my battery is when I have a weak signal I turn off 3G (4G is always off here since we don't even have it in my area). I turn off the GPS and AutoSync. Also, I haven't been using any kind of Facebook or Twitter so I had removed Feeds and Updates Widget and that caused a running Android process called SNSService to go into an endless RESTARTING loop which was just killing my battery. I would force close it from the Settings/Manage Apps menu, but found out that the widget not being active was causing this service to search for it. So I put the widget back on a screen and that immediately stopped the restarting loop without force closing the service.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
EC05 battery life and widgets

I guess this is a more general question about how much battery is consumed by widgets.

I don't see any significant changes in battery life compared to stock Eclair. I do have Juicedefender running on the default settings and SetCPU to conservative. I typically unplug around 6:30am and plug back in around 7pm and have about 25% left. I do replug during my car trip to work for about 15 minutes in the morning.

Other than receiving text messages and making some phone calls, as well as the intermittent surfing (don't have a whole lot of time at work to do this), I do have TouchDown set to push, and I constantly update my Groupwise calendar and receive email via push. GMail email by push too I guess.

In terms of widgets, I have clockr evolution, battstat, beautiful weather 4x1, google search bar, TouchDown agenda widget, Launcher Pro's favorites widget and Launcher pro's bookmarks widget running on my phone. No facebook or Twitter. I have Pulse update at some hour interval. (I forget how many hours.) But that's it in terms of running widgets. I kind of like my phone set up this way, but I wonder if this is consuming a lot of battery.

Another issue is that I spend a lot of time during the day that has particularly bad 3G reception and no wifi signal. Installing Juicedefender really helped with this.

Rarely use 4G. Bluetooth only when plugged into the car. Occasionally will use GPS.

Recs? Are there any background EC05 programs that are running that I should stop with Startup Auditor? I have already stopped the DRMs in Eclair, and I think that persists in EC05.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
WE have an EB13 and an EC05. Both were running 18 earlier. Battery life from 18 is unchanged from the 10% hit it took with the DRM services.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to put a specific amount on widgets as a generality. Some probably use more than others. For example the weather channel app. I use it's widget and on average I note it uses about 1% according to android assistant. My device always seems to load up a bunch of widgets to run in the background even though they are not added to my launcher or any of the launchers that came preloaded on the device. Killing all of those seems to have improved how much I get on a full charge significantly. Android assistant should list how much battery everything that is running or has been running. Worth a look to see if any particular widget is using more than one wants.

Reactions: 16313

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Epic's battery life has dropped a lot. It had to be recharge twice today. The usage meter is showing 75% of usage was the display. She has a longish auto turn off of 2 minutes, but this setting was the same before the OTA upgrade from Eclair.

Possum15

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think my battery life is as good with froyo. I unplugged mine at 10am and its 2pm and with minimal use it's down to 59%. I have all of the settings the same as Eclair. I'm thinking of rooting just because of this.

dubes5

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Got to say, running bonsai 4.0 and my battery is going quick...but I will say certain apps (like Words with Friends) kill my battery quick...fun and addicting but hate the battery drain...

cluefree

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I have to say, I don't think I've ever gotten the battery life that a lot of folks tend to report... 24 hours? Not on my Epic! My question would be: are people who get this awesome battery life using 4g? I am... and maybe that's my killer? The only time I turn off 4g is when I am at home - where I use wifi... would I be better off turning on 4g only when I want to use it? It seems to go to sleep (shows Zzz in the icon) when not being used, making me think its not draining me when its on but not active...hmmm.

So if I look at what is eating my battery, I usually see something like "display 98%...cell idle 2%"...Android Assistant doesn't seem to show any programs draining everything...I have my brightness at 35%-and i'm not keen on lowering it! What good is having a sweet amoled screen if you can't see it?

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams