text to speech

abrinker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about text messaging....according to the specification the Text to-speech feature when installed allows audible readout of onscreen data such as a message. Does this mean it will read a text message to me and if so how do you turn it on? I currently have in my settings the voice input and output and under the voice output i did install voice data. I want to be able to turn this feature on but don't know how to do it but we are supposed to be able to even according to the samsung site about the Epic phone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am still trying to learn all of the features of the phone after the 2.2 upgrade and still was learning the features before the upgrade. lol

Evetrytime I get on the site I am learning something new about my phone....:)

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I have tried that...all its doing for me is bringing me up

message options

delete message
copy message text
lock message
forward
view message detail

any other suggegtions i am doing wrong....greatly apprecaited....

The default Messaging app does not have a text to speech capability.

Handcent SMS does. Is free and in the Market. You can set it to pop up toast on the screen, then tap the speaker button on the toast pop up to read the message to you. You can also reply with speech to text, by tapping the microphone button......

tektoys

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i'd probably go with vlingo, also free and provides a host of other voice features, the feature your looking for would be "safe reader" that will read incoming texts and emails to you

Reactions: abrinker

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The default Messaging app does not have a text to speech capability.

Handcent SMS does. Is free and in the Market. You can set it to pop up toast on the screen, then tap the speaker button on the toast pop up to read the message to you. You can also reply with speech to text, by tapping the microphone button......

Sorry, I use handcent and wasn't aware the stock app didn't have this capability. IDK why anyone would use the stock app over Handcent anyway...

abrinker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I use handcent and wasn't aware the stock app didn't have this capability. IDK why anyone would use the stock app over Handcent anyway...

Well I was using the stock app because I am still new to android and learning the phone...also because samsung states that there messaging system had this feature so I was just trying to figure out how to do it through there system. I will try one of the other messaging app i havent used any of them so will give them a go. I appreciate everyones help.

9KRacing

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I was using the stock app because I am still new to android and learning the phone...also because samsung states that there messaging system had this feature so I was just trying to figure out how to do it through there system. I will try one of the other messaging app i havent used any of them so will give them a go. I appreciate everyones help.

Give handcent a shot, it's free, very customizable, and looks way better than the stock app. (As well as having text to speech!) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair