Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread confirmed - Android 2.3 ED12

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I thought that froyo was going to be the last official update to the epic... I would laugh my arse off if it got honeycomb after all the bad mouthing samsung got from so many here.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Why would you think that froyo was the last update the Epic would see?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Why would you think that froyo was the last update the Epic would see?
Honestly with as long as it took to get Froyo and even with Froyo still not being very "bug free" for many users one would really think that was about the end of the road for OS updates. Especially when you have newer devices from Sammy and others that are in their minds "more capable" of running GB.

So hey, this is quite a welcome surprise and I really do hope Sprint/Sammy will take GB in the right direction and give us a much better upgrade than we received with Froyo.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping the next update fixes the Time Without Signal Bug. I'm also hoping they can remove the DRM and SNSService that eat up battery life.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping the next update fixes the Time Without Signal Bug. I'm also hoping they can remove the DRM and SNSService that eat up battery life.
TWS bug would be nice.. The DRM and SNSService will probably remain as they are...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't really know what snsservice is supposed to do for me. I have to leave the "Feeds & Updates" widget on a screen to prevent it from entering an endless "restarting" loop. I would delete it but am afraid to delete any stock stuff loaded on the phone for fear of not being able to get the next updates. Right now, I just keep going into running services and stop both DRM and SNSService. Even when this is closed, I still get Facebook updates thru the Facebook app...so I don't see anything useful for it.

Reactions: TheCrazy88

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't really know what snsservice is supposed to do for me. I have to leave the "Feeds & Updates" widget on a screen to prevent it from entering an endless "restarting" loop. I would delete it but am afraid to delete any stock stuff loaded on the phone for fear of not being able to get the next updates. Right now, I just keep going into running services and stop both DRM and SNSService. Even when this is closed, I still get Facebook updates thru the Facebook app...so I don't see anything useful for it.

I had to do the same thing and keep that widget on a screen. Snsservice would be in endless restart loop.
Great news about Gingerbread, hope it doesn't take 6 months.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is so surprised. From what I understood the current CM7 is being built on top of GB source code that was "leaked" to the devs. When I read that I just kinda assumed that this announcement was coming sooner or later.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am also surprised that nobody thought we were getting Gingerbread. And the "leaked" ROM you're referring to was from the Galaxy S I9000, not the Epic (hence the problems in getting everything working).

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ah gotcha, so I was a bit off there, but still it didnt surprise. Dont get me wrong its great news that we're getting it officially supported (eventually) but it didn't exactly blow my mind either. I am however quit certain it'll be the last update the phone ever gets.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Even if it does take that long, I'm sure we'll get a few leaks along the way :D

Yeah, I am pretty sure I will have Gingerbread long before Sprint gives the green light. EC05 is overall running fairly good for me, better then the previous two releases, but like many around here I've been using Froyo since the day DK28 was released and it's time for some fresh baked Gingerbread.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am pretty sure I will have Gingerbread long before Sprint gives the green light. EC05 is overall running fairly good for me, better then the previous two releases, but like many around here I've been using Froyo since the day DK28 was released and it's time for some fresh baked Gingerbread.

I agree with you. We will get a leak way before the official release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1