Auto Shutdown

Gatorman

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Can somebody recommend an app that automatically shuts down my phone and then brings it back up in the morning? I need it to turn it back on in the morning so my alarm clock still works.

I primarily want this so I can listen to my pandora app at bedtime but not keep it on all night.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
If you want your phone to automatically reboot every morning, I believe your only option is to root. There is also Refresh for Android on the market. But this too, needs root access.

Why do you prefer to not root?

Gatorman

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello Don,

I've only owned an Android for less than 2 months now. I'm not exactly sure what rooting is. Would this be like installing a new OS? Can it be easily undone?

I would be interested in knowing more.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello Don,

I've only owned an Android for less than 2 months now. I'm not exactly sure what rooting is. Would this be like installing a new OS? Can it be easily undone?

I'm glad that you asked! I rooted the day after I bought my Epic 4G. Haven't looked back at all! You'll be amazed at the endless customization opportunities and hacks you'll be able to perform on your device when you're rooted. Take a look at this thread here. There is a wealth of information to get you started. If you have questions, be sure to ask. Paul627g and Ragnarokx are always on here to answer if someone doesn't help you out beforehand.

And because you asked, rooting simply allows you access to more of the system internals... Things that the carrier doesn't want you to mess with, and things that could mess up your phone if you're not careful. Don't worry though, as if something does get messed up, it's easy to go back to stock and try again. It's not like installing a new OS or anything. Once you are rooted, you have the opportunity to install custom ROMs. Which are in my opinion, way better than running stock. But before I babble on anymore, take a look at the link above. You'll be glad you did. :)

Be advised, that there is a lot of reading to be done, but it will be worth it. Read thoroughly, THEN ask questions.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello Don,

Gator, welcome to Android Central. Welcome to Android too!

First no rooting is not installing a new OS. It can lead to that option but simply put rooting your device is opening access to root level system files that otherwise are not obtainable with a stock device.

Much more of your questions about rooting can be answered here Rooting.

Before you ask, a rooted device can be returned to stock form if device servicing is needed or if/when the time comes you want to trade up or sell the device.
Also the scary disclaimers you hear about voiding your warranty, etc. etc... That is standard procedure, and yes if you walked into a Sprint store with a rooted device they would give you a hassle and deny servicing it but normally they just send you away and not void your contract. Bottom line you use methods we have hear to revert your device back to complete stock form in this event and all traces of you modifying your device are gone.

Another place to find many of your questions answered is my [FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods.

Whatever route you decide to take, rooting your device or stay stock your more than welcome to be a part of Android Central and enjoy everything we have to offer here.

Paul627g.

Last edited:
Reactions: simple503

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@Don, no prob. You did a great job answering that post I just added a few more resources for them to read.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of an app called Tasker that might be able to do that...not 100% sure as I've not used it, but many have. Search for it in the App forum.

Do you want to reboot or just shut down data?

via Tapatalk

Gatorman

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Don, Paul and Werkx for taking time to help me. I have a sneaky feeling that I will root my phone at some point. I've read these forums since I had the phone and it does seem the way to go. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I seem to remember reading on here that Androids were built to be rooted and carriers do not care much if they are.

In the meantime I'm going to look into tasker. Kind of silly that I would have to go through all of this just to be able to have my phone shutdown automatically at night and fire up again in the morning. My crapberry even did that!

Thanks everyone!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Don, Paul and Werkx for taking time to help me. I have a sneaky feeling that I will root my phone at some point. I've read these forums since I had the phone and it does seem the way to go. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I seem to remember reading on here that Androids were built to be rooted and carriers do not care much if they are.

In the meantime I'm going to look into tasker. Kind of silly that I would have to go through all of this just to be able to have my phone shutdown automatically at night and fire up again in the morning. My crapberry even did that!

Thanks everyone!

Glad to help. Most if not all Android phones can be rooted and the carriers know its going on but they don't necessarily approve of it. As long as it appears stock when its brought in for service/repair then all is fine. Bring in a rooted phone then they will probably send you away until you come back with it in stock form which is easily done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes