Epic to receive android updates through Feb 2012?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Google Annouces Plans, Partners To Guarantee Android Phones Will Get Latest Updates

There’s a new Android phone every two weeks now. That often spells bad news for slightly older phones as carriers and makers abandon their development. Not anymore.

Google just rolled out the founding partners of an inititive to keep hardware up-to-date for at least 18 months. That means these top five hardware makers and top five carriers won’t forget about last year’s hot device. They will eventually get the latest update although since details were a bit light at I/O, it isn’t exactly clear how this will work. The only stipulation here is that the phone’s hardware must support the Android build, which sort of means low-end Android devices will still be left to die before their high-end brethren.

Google is, however, rolling out new guidelines that dictate how long it takes a given device to receive the latest Android build. Right now it’s up to the makers and carriers, which often leave the consumers feeling frustrated and abandoned as months go by without an update. Now, under the new guidelines, there will be a set time that consumers should get the latest OS.

I wonder if this agreement is retroactive or if it is only for upcoming devices? Also I wonder when we'll find out what the time frames for releases will be.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It all seems like a step in the right direction. I've said it before new devices are released so quickly that the current new device doesn't even have a case or other optional items available and its already considered outdated. That is bad business in my opinion. Not just for the consumer who gets left high and dry but doesn't fair well for the carriers or the companies that make aftermarket products.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely a step in the right direction but I suspect (and it's already been speculated in the blog comments here on AC) that this will be new/newer devices only and that the 18 month date in question will be from the date the phone was originally launched. It's definitely a good sign though...

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ouch. don't burst my bubble now! At least grandfather in the big dogs like the Galaxy S line and EVO, etc..

I know but at least we will get gingerbread, so by then, I will only have at the most 4-5 months until my upgrade, then I will decide if I want an evo 3D or the s2 :p

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well to tell you the truth i am thinking about going over to unlocked GSM phones only that way i dont have to deal with contracts and so on..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Well to tell you the truth i am thinking about going over to unlocked GSM phones only that way i dont have to deal with contracts and so on..

And pay $600-800 full retail for a phone that may or may not get high speed data depending on your carrie. Have fun with that ;)

TexasEpic4G

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to hear that news - and I can only hope that it WILL include our EPIC. I've only had my phone since March ( and it's a darn good phone IMO ) so I'm gonna have it at least another year and it would be nice to continue getting updates throughout that time frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol