Epic review with FroYo?

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I've searched quite a lot to find out the capabilities of the Epic which will soon be mine, but most reviews are old, covering the phone with its original Android 2.1. A phenomena I've noticed with many phones, few if any reviews after software updates, which may correct problems nitpicked in original reviews.

What's new on it with 2.2? Any official word on features and functions with 2.3?

Is it possible or not to get video out from the headphone jack? (That'd make it so much easier than lugging my laptop to friends' houses for pizza and movies.) Has anyone actually used an HDMI cable with the Epic?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
2.2 runs worse than 2.1, but has flash. No video out through headphone jack. 2.3 still buggy in current state... If you haven't bought one yet, don't bother, plenty of goodness is right around the corner.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To some Froyo 2.2 has been a disaster. To many others Froyo hasn't been bad at all. Everyone has their own feelings and opinons on this matter. To me I liked Froyo a lot and overall didn't have to much issues running custom ROMs on 2.2. Stock had its quirks but most stock OS has some quirks or there wouldn't be any reason for custom ROMs to exist and be so popular.

I believe Gingerbread 2.3 will be a much better suited OS for the Epic 4g once it hits official release.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I like my phone less after the 2.2 update. I will attempt to odin back to 2.1 this weekend.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
To some Froyo 2.2 has been a disaster. To many others Froyo hasn't been bad at all. Everyone has their own feelings and opinons on this matter. To me I liked Froyo a lot and overall didn't have to much issues running custom ROMs on 2.2. Stock had its quirks but most stock OS has some quirks or there wouldn't be any reason for custom ROMs to exist and be so popular.

I believe Gingerbread 2.3 will be a much better suited OS for the Epic 4g once it hits official release.

Too true with the custom ROM bit. I ran my phone stock for the first month only because I didn't know what I was missing. Once you flash your first custom ROM, you'll never run stock again. My phone has been super stable running ACS' Syndicate ROM Frozen 1.1.0. Amazingly smooth and fast with no quirks whatsoever. I even tried out the new Gingerbread leaked ROM for a day, went back to SRF 1.1.0 because it's THAT good. Of course, YMMV. :)

Best Froyo experience out there for me though.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually like my phone better with Froyo. It adds a lot of features that other Android phones in general have and the features that the other Galaxy S phones had in the beginning. There are a few more random quirks but overall I like it better.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually like my phone better with Froyo. It adds a lot of features that other Android phones in general have and the features that the other Galaxy S phones had in the beginning. There are a few more random quirks but overall I like it better.

A lot of features? Moving apps to sd card and flash player which doesn't work unless you are on wifi.

Not so much...

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I vote for eclair 2.1 was faster and more stable - but I am one of the lucky few that after a few patches here and there to fix what was broken, my froyo 2.2.1 is just as fast if not faster and just as stable - I am glad I upgraded because of the slightly more available software and "apps to sd" capability - flash and gps hard coded bug fix is nice also.

In fact my current setup is so nice, I am afraid to upgrade to gingerbread when it finally is official, because I know things will need to be tweaked again - unless there is a hugh gain somewhere.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I got mine a day before the Sprint store said it would arrive. I got it on a business account so they had to mail the phone instead of letting me walk out the door with one. (I get a 15% discount, eligible for annual upgrades and didn't have to do a mail in rebate on it.)

So far I'm liking it quite well. First download was the Kindle app. It gets less than top marks for not correctly using MBP files from Mobipocket Reader.

Next I downloaded the Yahoo Mail app. I give that two stars. It's nearly as bad as their web site for mobile. One must go through a couple of hoops just to delete a message. It needs previous, next and DELETE buttons at the bottom of the message.

Third thing I did was tried the navigation app. Free upgrade? OK! Ick! It's an "upgrade" that uses maps from TeleAtlas, which in my area are chock full-o-errors.

It's going to take some getting used to after so many years with Palm OS. ;)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well the phone overall works better for me :p Haven't messed with what you mentioned much.

Several of the apps I used daily no longer work with froyo. The absolute worst thing for me about froyo is that it did away with the option to turn off GEO Tagging with the camera. My teenage daughter has an epic and uses it to take and post her pictures online. And them removing that option really pisses me off. I do not understand why geo tagging is even tied to the camera in the first place. Really? Who needs or wants that?

Last edited:

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
2.1 was alot better than 2.2...esp since you had to hard reset device after 2.2 update..the longer you waited the more functions stopped working