Pre - to Epic... wow.. why did I wait.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using a Palm for, well, since the Treo 650. So awhile. I was inline at 6:00 am for the Pre June 6th 2 year ago. i've been trying to tell everyone how great webos is (it really is a FANTASTIC OS), but with no Pre3 on sprint, my wife just have to get 2 pre -'s in less than a week for stupid hardware failures, we decided to move on.

After much debating we figured the few quirks with the Epic wouldn't be worse than our Pre- and the Evo just didn't catch our fancy. After a day of hard use I couldn't be happier. So while I'll still keep on eye on webos for future upgrade for now I'm in a Epic and must say it's a pretty swank phone. So HI all, you should be seeing a bit of me around here.

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a Palm for, well, since the Treo 650. So awhile. I was inline at 6:00 am for the Pre June 6th 2 year ago. i've been trying to tell everyone how great webos is (it really is a FANTASTIC OS), but with no Pre3 on sprint, my wife just have to get 2 pre -'s in less than a week for stupid hardware failures, we decided to move on.

After much debating we figured the few quirks with the Epic wouldn't be worse than our Pre- and the Evo just didn't catch our fancy. After a day of hard use I couldn't be happier. So while I'll still keep on eye on webos for future upgrade for now I'm in a Epic and must say it's a pretty swank phone. So HI all, you should be seeing a bit of me around here.
Welcome to the club! :) I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, and I haven't for a second missed my Pre.

Well, I do miss the card metaphor for multitasking, it's sweet - but longpress home, select app multitasking isn't bad at all. Plus, the pre feels like a tiny little toy in my hands now. I will still use it for music on the go and WiFi browsing, etc.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Glad you hopped on with us! It's really an awesome phone. I came from a Pre also and made the switch back in December. Once you get rooted, if you decide to do so, you'll unlock even more potential goodies. :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here man, made the switch a couple weeks before you. The Epic has been rocking!

If you're looking for a custom ROM, I'll add a vote for SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (people refer to it as SRF). Stable, fast as hell, better battery.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Same here man, made the switch a couple weeks before you. The Epic has been rocking!

If you're looking for a custom ROM, I'll add a vote for SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (people refer to it as SRF). Stable, fast as hell, better battery.

I was gunna stay stock and see if GB came out soon.
Does that have touchwiz? I kinda like touchwiz so far, but I can always use launcher pro, alot of my friends use that one.

Tethering is my big question. From what i've read root is mandatory?

qbking77

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I was gunna stay stock and see if GB came out soon.
Does that have touchwiz? I kinda like touchwiz so far, but I can always use launcher pro, alot of my friends use that one.

Tethering is my big question. From what i've read root is mandatory?

Here is the link to SyndicateFrozen Rom: [ROM]SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.0 (Takiya) :: EC05/1.3ghz/NoCheckboarding :: 3/27 - xda-developers

The fully loaded version has touchwiz ;)
The standard version has launcher pro.

And yes, if you want free wireless tethering you must be rooted.

Reactions: Funky Cricket

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Think its a rip that tetherin is extra. I'm paying for data already, but I suppoe the pricing is based oon mobile data not laptop data. Just some times I need a different cisco bin than what I have or need to grab afile off ftp to fix internet and iduse my pre for that. Be nice to have back for those 10 minutes evry few months. Thanks for the links. Ill have to look into them.

rprockey

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar story. 2 months since I set down the pre and picked up the epic. I'm pleased with the device. There are thing I miss about webos but I'm not missing the flaky hardware that is the pre-.

I've been running SyndicateROM Frozen (SFR) 1.1.0 pretty much since week 1. I don't suggest running stock. The ACS has put together a really solid ROM with many performance improvements and all of the bloatware removed.

I hear there are other solid ROMs out there but I can't really speak to them.

We're also in the same boat re: teathering. Use it once in a great while but not remotely enough to pay what they are asking. SRF has a couple teathering options baked in.

There is a tool called Odin that, much like WebOS Doctor, allows you to reflash to stock when you need to. It's a great safety net.

Have fun with your new tech.
-Rockey

skyward

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the club! :) I did the same thing a couple weeks ago, and I haven't for a second missed my Pre.

Well, I do miss the card metaphor for multitasking, it's sweet - but longpress home, select app multitasking isn't bad at all. Plus, the pre feels like a tiny little toy in my hands now. I will still use it for music on the go and WiFi browsing, etc.

Holy crap. I've had my epic since they came out, and I never new about the long press home...

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
yah, getting used to the long press home and touchwiz has a decent app manager widget baked in. alot of apps will close if you "back" enough times to get there. The multitasking definitely isn't as elegant as webOS, but it's not bad after a few days of playing.

I've seen some stuff on odin, but i don't have a ton of time to mess with that stuff right now. too bad there's not a "nonroot" tethering solution. It's just one of those things when I have it I never use it, but when I don't there always times when it would save me tons of time.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
as a follow up, how have fomer pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you 100%. I love SRF 1.1.0. However, I am using EE03 Gingerbread leak because I love watching movies through Netflix and talking on the phone by using Google talk as well. I know this leak is not faster than SRF 1.1.0 but it has what I want to.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
as a follow up, how have fomer. pre- users found reception? better worse, I know some people are complaining about the ec05 froyo modem firmware.

I had bad reception with EC05 modem, now I have better reception with EE03 modem. Now I have found another solution to this problem. If you have your phone rooted you can buy an app called Roam Control I bought it for $.99. It does not matter what modem you have in your epic Sprint does not have good signal inside the building. I use this app and problem resolved!!!

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm finding Android to be rather Mac-like in some ways. Closing an app usually doesn't *exit* it. Unlike Mac there's no handy Apple menu to pull down with a Close selection.

The long Home press I guess serves for that. Took me quite a while to get used to that when I first started using a Mac, and having only one menu bar, and having to first click a window to bring it to the front *then* click close - when on Windows it's one click to close any window if the X is visible. Tons of extra clicks with Mac.

I'm happier with systems that when an app isn't in view, it's *not running* unless I, the User In Command, wants it to stay running in the background.

Is there an app for android that can be configured for which apps to always shut down when switched away from and which to allow to run however they normally do? For example a web browser or e-mail app or the Youtube, eBay, PayPal, Google search and similar apps. They take virtually zero time to launch, so I'd rather they be shut down when not actively in use. About the only thing I'd want running in the background is a music player.

JAM Renaissance

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Just made the leap a couple of weeks ago as well. WebOS is CONSIDERABLY more elegant, but Android/TouchWiz (haven't rooted the phone yet... still deciding if I really have a need for it in the same way you "need" PreWare for a pre) is getting me through the day. Besides... I'm still exploring the whole new world of a "real" app store...

lbus42

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Pre to the Epic in early April. I was apprehensive at first. I really liked WebOS, but like others put up with the Pre's flakiness.

I am glad I made the switch. I like the configurability of the Android operating system and I love the Epic. The screen is awesome.

I rooted and installed my first custom ROM (Ace 2.0) a few weeks ago, and now am running Syndicate ROM.

Looking forward to reading more of the forum and taking further into the dark side.

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like the flow of Web OS and the multitasking metaphor, I'm wondering how I ever lived without multiple homescreens and widgets.

For instance:
On my Pre, to get to scores for all the major sports, I had to open my browser (or another app), and then navigate somewhere (ESPN, Yahoo!, etc.) and find the scoreboard on the Web page.

On my Epic, I have a live widget (Scoremobile) with scoreboards from whatever sports I choose. It's wicked fast and I am always a click away from a box score or recap.

Beautiful Widget, the Google search widget (and voice activation button!), Calendar app, an LED flashlight widget, Winamp for Android widget (LOVE) - all of them give me functionality quicker than I could get to it in WebOS.

Granted, some of that is the horsepower of the phone - the Hummingbird is zippy.

But the widgeting system is definitely something that Android has as an advantage over the other smartphone makers, IMO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol