Should I jump to Epic?

IonCannon218

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first post.

I have a slowly dying Blackberry 8900 on AT&T with no data plan (wifi radio broke) and I want to switch to Sprint with unlimited data with the Epic or another android.

Should I grab the Epic for 2 years or wait for the Galaxy S II later this year? I do want to root and load custom ROMs. I prefer physical keyboards but that could change.

VicH

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I had a touchpro2 and kept reading anc watching the forums and news and ultimately cracked my screen and was forced to make a decision. I selected the epic and have not even rooted yet and am very p pleased. Looking back what was i waiting for. There is always going to be something newer, faster and perceived better. Take the plunge and dont look back,you'll always second guess yourself..

I too wanted a keyboard but am learning to use swipe almost as good in a couple of weeks. Next phone i'll probably ditch the keyboard.

Vazzago

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Came from BB as well...

Just came from BB Curve 3G myself. Gotta say, after my lackluster use of iphone and then the switch to BB, I told myself I'd never go back to touch-screen. That changed with the Epic 4G I have now as i get the best of both worlds: full slide-out qwerty and touch if desired. I couldn't be happier!

Plus, Sprint is on the up-an-up now for the most part and they've been better to me than At&t ever was.

l8r
:cool:

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
About a year ago my my niece and her husband decided to go with Sprint. They used to A&TT. They told me it was too expensive. They are very happy now with Sprint. They are in my family plan. (Any time Any mobile 1500 minutes.) I came from a bb 8530. I made the right decision. I love my Epic. Right now I have the EE03 Gingerbread leak. I am able to watch Netflix.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have used the BB8900 as well as the EVO and now an EPIC. I am happy with my decisoin.
Its a great device and in my opinion out performs the EVO.

Definately go into a store and get hands on with it. Its a great device.
Its even better rooted with custom ROMS and such.

jlgreenlee

May 29, 2011
greenleegazette.blogspot.com
I traded up from a Samsung Rant (a pseudo smart phone) initially to a Samsung Transform. I thought saving $50 as opposed to the Epic was a smart decision, until I played with the Transform for a couple of weeks. After a lot of thought, and a lot of online study, I traded up again to the Epic 4G. And having that hands-on comparison was valuable (cost me a restocking fee too!).

I absolutely love the Epic. I can't stop playing with it, tweaking it, finding new things. I still have no idea why or if I should "root" it, but if you're asking if you should get this phone, from my perspective, it's a resounding "yes." A cheaper Android phone, like Transform, is really saddling yourself with a lesser product for two years. For a $50 savings? I guess I learned a lesson there.

I've found a couple of glitches with the Epic: the compass doesn't work well, and the live wallpapers won't stay active after rebooting for some reason. But other than that, I'm very, very happy with the phone.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I traded up from a Samsung Rant (a pseudo smart phone) initially to a Samsung Transform. I thought saving $50 as opposed to the Epic was a smart decision, until I played with the Transform for a couple of weeks. After a lot of thought, and a lot of online study, I traded up again to the Epic 4G. And having that hands-on comparison was valuable (cost me a restocking fee too!).

I absolutely love the Epic. I can't stop playing with it, tweaking it, finding new things. I still have no idea why or if I should "root" it, but if you're asking if you should get this phone, from my perspective, it's a resounding "yes." A cheaper Android phone, like Transform, is really saddling yourself with a lesser product for two years. For a $50 savings? I guess I learned a lesson there.

I've found a couple of glitches with the Epic: the compass doesn't work well, and the live wallpapers won't stay active after rebooting for some reason. But other than that, I'm very, very happy with the phone.
I agree with you I love the phone. I have my phone rooted when I do not have signal because Sprint sucks I use the app Roam Control. If I want to use wifi tethering I use another app for that. I can have same files as the Nexus S uses, so my phone can be as the same speed the Nexus S is. In addition to that
I have Gingerbread, so I have Netflix and Google talk with video call.:D

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Dive in, the epic is down to $150 and less possibly with other online retailers. start saving on your rate plan. If your worried about upgrading, then buy an Epic from ebay or second hand, activate on sprint, and you will still retain the sprint upgrade program since you activated with customer owned equipment. that way when a new phone comes out, your upgrade eligible... this works.

DocB1973

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Take the plunge. I too was a BB user and went for the Epic and couldn't be happier. One note - buy an extended battery. If you use the one that comes with the phone you'll be miserable as you can't use the phone as intended.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're willing to pay $200, then wait for the SGS II. If you're looking at the FREE price range, then get the Epic 4G. The features and power of this device at the FREE price range wont be beat for at least another 9 months.

regenouis

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm hesitant about *any* new and improved electronic. The Evo was supposed to be amazing, but I was only impressed for as long as my first day working for Sprint as a tech. We don't get discounts, or rebates on cell phones (the discount comes in the plan). So if I'm going to buy a phone at cost I'm going to buy the phone that I see come in the least for repairs and offers the most bang for my buck, and to be honest I still have not seen a phone that has sold as widely as the epic has, and yet have so few come back in for repairs. I'm absolutely satisfied with my purchase and very glad I went with the epic.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
;)
I'm hesitant about *any* new and improved electronic. The Evo was supposed to be amazing, but I was only impressed for as long as my first day working for Sprint as a tech. We don't get discounts, or rebates on cell phones (the discount comes in the plan). So if I'm going to buy a phone at cost I'm going to buy the phone that I see come in the least for repairs and offers the most bang for my buck, and to be honest I still have not seen a phone that has sold as widely as the epic has, and yet have so few come back in for repairs. I'm absolutely satisfied with my purchase and very glad I went with the epic.

I second this... My local repair tech tells me the same.. Epic 4g very few come in for repairs.. EVO's and everything else he sees all day long..

Epic 4g despite what it may seem from posts on here and other places is a very solid device when compared to the other devices Sprint has in its lineup.

h-cubed

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I did and I love it! I was on a Palm Pre and that broke too many times so Sprint gave me a HTC Hero that sucked something terrible! I just got the Epic a few weeks ago and I am happy with it!

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Epic is a good egg

I've been reading this forum for a while now and this is my first post.

I have a slowly dying Blackberry 8900 on AT&T with no data plan (wifi radio broke) and I want to switch to Sprint with unlimited data with the Epic or another android.

Should I grab the Epic for 2 years or wait for the Galaxy S II later this year? I do want to root and load custom ROMs. I prefer physical keyboards but that could change.

I had several blackberries before making the switch. I was mainly concerned about the email integration and the lack of a physical keyboard after having trouble using my wife's iPhone. I originally wanted to jump ship and get the Evo, but battery issues and the lack of keyboard turned me off to android in general until the Epic came out. It was like the best of both worlds. I used the keyboard heavily during my first few weeks, but after I started getting used to swype, I only use the keyboard for very long emails or notes...I think I am still faster. If I were faster with swype, I'd be using swype.

But swype isn't unique to epic. The Epic screen is amazing. Photos and video are simply amazing for a phone. Actually, the video is better than my handheld camcorder...depressingly.

I was disappointed with the battery that came with the epic. Juice defender helped a significant amount with that. Within a month of owning the phone I was rooted and shortly after that, installing custom ROMs. We're very fortunate that the Epic community has such great developers, because these ROMs are easy to install and work silly amazing. I've tried syndicate, ace, and bonsai. My personal favorite is syndicate, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ROMs. They're all superior to stock epic. Of course, it all depends on what you need your phone for. Some are happy with stock.

I'd buy it again. My next phone...who knows. I have to stay with sprint since I get it free with work, so my choices are limited, but fortunately I had a great option with the epic.

IonCannon218

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! I think I will probably get the Epic since AT&T doesn't have" 4G" HSPA+ where I go to college in Rochester, NY but Sprint does! That and the $150 price is a good price for me.

One thing I was wondering is what speeds I could expect from Sprint WiMax?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
WiMax speeds will vary greatly depending on locatoin and usage.
I am in Dallas, and today at lunch my 3G was horribly slow. I switched on 4G to find i had good coverage (must have been behind a tower) and i got 4.5 megs down and 1.5 megs up.
But at my apt i have tested it and used it a lot. I have had speeds range from 1 meg to 5 megs down and most of the time the upload speed tests the same.

I will tell you that i am glad to see you come to the Sprint side. :) Just make sure you test your coverage on 3G and 4G right away while your in your 30 day window.