Hello all. I've been experiencing alot of problems with my phone as of late. I'm not rooted and updated to Android 2.2 OTA months ago. Orientation problems have been there since Froyo but the other two recently popped up.

Orientation: the device doesn't rotate properly. If I want to use the on screen keyboard to text I tilt the phone but it doesn't change the display. Other times it will orientate the opposite direction that I want. I am not using the keyboard when trying to adjust orientation. Very frustrating.

Lag: when I slide out the keyboard to use it the screen locks up for about 5 seconds and only displays my wallpaper. Then my apps/widgets reappear. After closing the keyboard the same thing happens as the screen returns to regular orientation. I've even experienced lag up to 15-20 seconds...seems like the longer I have the keyboard out the more lag I experience when closing the keyboard.

Icons: I've customized my bottom tray icons by removing 'Contacts' and replacing it with the 'Dolphin Browser'. Every time I boot up my device only the three stock icons appear with the Browser app missing. If I go into Applications all of my apps are out of order. I have alphabetized them and saved my changes but this gets messed up when I reboot my device. This had worked fine for many weeks after Froyo and just suddnely appeared out of the blue.

Would factory reset solve these problems? I imagine I'd have to download Froyo again, correct?
    05-25-2011 05:47 PM
    Hello all. I've been experiencing alot of problems with my phone as of late. I'm not rooted and updated to Android 2.2 OTA months ago. Orientation problems have been there since Froyo but the other two recently popped up.

Orientation: the device doesn't rotate properly. If I want to use the on screen keyboard to text I tilt the phone but it doesn't change the display. Other times it will orientate the opposite direction that I want. I am not using the keyboard when trying to adjust orientation. Very frustrating.

Lag: when I slide out the keyboard to use it the screen locks up for about 5 seconds and only displays my wallpaper. Then my apps/widgets reappear. After closing the keyboard the same thing happens as the screen returns to regular orientation. I've even experienced lag up to 15-20 seconds...seems like the longer I have the keyboard out the more lag I experience when closing the keyboard.

Icons: I've customized my bottom tray icons by removing 'Contacts' and replacing it with the 'Dolphin Browser'. Every time I boot up my device only the three stock icons appear with the Browser app missing. If I go into Applications all of my apps are out of order. I have alphabetized them and saved my changes but this gets messed up when I reboot my device. This had worked fine for many weeks after Froyo and just suddnely appeared out of the blue.

Would factory reset solve these problems? I imagine I'd have to download Froyo again, correct?
    Check this out to help with the lag... just a video i made:
    Nightfury82 likes this.
    05-25-2011 05:50 PM
    Check this out to help with the lag... just a video i made:
    Thank you. This helped but didn't solve my problem completely. My device actually orientates now although there is still a few seconds of lag. Device also orientates the wrong way on occasion (opposite of the way it orientates in the video).

Would you know anything about the lag on screen caused by keyboard use? The device lags when orientation switches after sliding out/in the keyboard.
    05-25-2011 06:15 PM
    You can download Spare Parts from the Market and it has two options in the list. Window Animations and Animation Transistions and turn them both to fast. See if that helps with the lag. On the dolphin browser and others disappearing are they saved/moved to sdcard? Some 3rd party launchers have issues with apps saved to sdcard loosing the widgets/shortcuts.
    Nightfury82 likes this.
    05-25-2011 07:19 PM
    I have the same problem with the screen lag when sliding the keyboard in or out. Seems to be worse when on one of the home screens. Its quicker when in another app such as text messaging. But the home screen lag is terrible 5-10 seconds and only scince froyo ota. Ive done the fixes listed in other threads with some succsess but it doesnt last long???
    05-25-2011 08:00 PM
    I know you're not rooted or anything but the 2.3 leak has absolutely no lag on rotating the screen. Any of the lag fixes haven't really worked for me on any previous versions of android. So if you can hold out till the official gingerbread you should be good to go
    05-25-2011 09:01 PM
    I'm glad someone else brought this up because these are issues I've also been experiencing i.e. the screen rotation lag and the app ordering.

After a reboot, the phone will do the scan SD card function and, until that is done, the icons for my pushed to SD card apps will not display. I then have to go into Apps and resort by ABC and save. I can accept that this happens because they are on the card so I've kinda just overlooked it and made it part of my personal reboot process.

As for the lag thing, this one I would love to see gone! I exclusively use the physical keyboard (that's why I got this over the Evo) but when I close it, the screen orientates correctly, I just have a good 5-10 second delay for my icons to reappear. If this is not happening in the 2.3 leak, I simply can't wait for it to be officially released.
    05-26-2011 01:14 PM
    You can download Spare Parts from the Market and it has two options in the list. Window Animations and Animation Transistions and turn them both to fast. See if that helps with the lag. On the dolphin browser and others disappearing are they saved/moved to sdcard? Some 3rd party launchers have issues with apps saved to sdcard loosing the widgets/shortcuts.
    I feel so dumb. Yeah, I moved dolphin to the sd card and I'm very sure now the problem started happening after that. I moved it back to the phone and it loaded up fine this morning. My apps weren't alphabetical though; most are in phone but several are saved to sd card.
    05-26-2011 05:57 PM
    I know you're not rooted or anything but the 2.3 leak has absolutely no lag on rotating the screen. Any of the lag fixes haven't really worked for me on any previous versions of android. So if you can hold out till the official gingerbread you should be good to go
    I bought the Epic for the long haul but these problems have been frustrating me. Not due an upgrade for another 3 months...hopefully 2.3 arrives before then and fixes the lag problems. I love the Epic but there are two things missing that would make me want to move to another device; TV out and Netflix. I'm sure we'll get Netflix soon but not having TV out is ridiculous especially since this was advertised as a multimedia device.
    05-26-2011 06:01 PM
    I can understand that, Netflix will be due soon. The TV out is kind of a sneaky thing Sammy is doing with the DLNA tech they are pushing. My TV supports DLNA so I can do TV out, but I understand if you dont want too shell out 600 to 1200 just for TV out.

05-26-2011 06:33 PM
    To everyone with lag problems...If you want to take the adventure of rooting I can almost guarantee that any lag will almost disappear

Can't beleive how fast most of these ROMs are and I've tried alot! lol
    05-26-2011 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD