Or does the tether option when I connect the Epic by USB work without costing me the extra Sprint charges?
    05-26-2011 08:12 PM
    Or does the tether option when I connect the Epic by USB work without costing me the extra Sprint charges?
    The tether option is only for wired and I think it does activate Sprints charges. Not positive since I've never used it.

[warn]:: Note :: If I'm incorrect on the Sprint charges for using the wired tether option via USB connection then I stand corrected. [/warn]
    05-26-2011 09:24 PM
    The tether option is only for wired and I think it does activate Sprints charges. Not positive since I've never used it.

[warn]:: Note :: If I'm incorrect on the Sprint charges for using the wired tether option via USB connection then I stand corrected. [/warn]
    I think it depends on if you are rooted or not
    05-26-2011 10:20 PM
    unrooted, it just wont work, you would need to have the tethering SOC on the account on your line for it to ip forwarding. Rooted, now that's another story...
    05-31-2011 09:45 AM
    I also am wondering about this. I was using pdanet but after the trial it won't open secure sites. I suppose when payday comes around I may buy the full version.....if it is a necessity. Right now I am hardwire tethered to my pc using the usb tether checkbox under the network settings section. It is working when pulling from my home wifi but when it is on 3g or 4g it sayd that the registration is not valid or something. So....am I incurring extra charges on my account by using my home wifi in this manner?
    06-14-2011 07:47 PM
    I also am wondering about this. I was using pdanet but after the trial it won't open secure sites. I suppose when payday comes around I may buy the full version.....if it is a necessity. Right now I am hardwire tethered to my pc using the usb tether checkbox under the network settings section. It is working when pulling from my home wifi but when it is on 3g or 4g it sayd that the registration is not valid or something. So....am I incurring extra charges on my account by using my home wifi in this manner?
    I am not really sure I understand you. Tethering is when you use your phones 3g or 4g connection to supply your laptop or desktop when they don't have a internet connection. Not for your computer to supply a connection to your phone. Your phone can connect wifi to ANY available unsecured (or secured if you have a password) network wirelessly free of charge without any special software or app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    06-14-2011 10:52 PM
    I am not really sure I understand you. Tethering is when you use your phones 3g or 4g connection to supply your laptop or desktop when they don't have a internet connection. Not for your computer to supply a connection to your phone. Your phone can connect wifi to ANY available unsecured (or secured if you have a password) network wirelessly free of charge without any special software or app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Maybe I can shed some light on this. The WIRED tether, will let the Epic act as a usb wifi adapter for a pc. For example, setting up a new computer in my house, and not having the ethernet wire reaching the table i'm working on, or if the wifi card in my laptop gives out for some reason.

The "invalid registration" is basically Sprint blocking you because you don't have the tethering service. If you sign up for the tethering package, than that registration error goes away, because you're now registered for that service. They CANNOT charge you for using your OWN wifi, which is why it passes it through.
    Majesty9917 likes this.
    06-15-2011 07:24 AM
    Sorry if I didnt explain myself that well. I am in fact using my phone as sort of a wireless network adaptor. My pc has only a hard wire connction for internet and I dont have the option of going hard wired. There is wifi in my house tho so I am pulling the wifi through my epic to my pc via usb.

They CANNOT charge you for using your OWN wifi, which is why it passes it through.
    This is exactly what I was wondering. I scoured the net and there was much debate on the usb tether issue and the fact that sprint charges to tether even tho a 1 to 1 hook up hardly qualifies as a "hotspot". I had assumed that since i was using my own wifi it would have nothing to do with sprint. Hell, i can fire up my deactivated pre and connect to wifi and search the web as well as use apps that reqire internet access.
    06-15-2011 07:56 AM
    Sorry if I didnt explain myself that well. I am in fact using my phone as sort of a wireless network adaptor. My pc has only a hard wire connction for internet and I dont have the option of going hard wired. There is wifi in my house tho so I am pulling the wifi through my epic to my pc via usb.

This is exactly what I was wondering. I scoured the net and there was much debate on the usb tether issue and the fact that sprint charges to tether even tho a 1 to 1 hook up hardly qualifies as a "hotspot". I had assumed that since i was using my own wifi it would have nothing to do with sprint. Hell, i can fire up my deactivated pre and connect to wifi and search the web as well as use apps that reqire internet access.
    In a nutshell, the Epic will push whatever connection it has to a pc wired to the usb tether. If it's WIFI, it'll send it, if it's 3g/4g, it'll send it. Sprint won't "charge" you for trying to use the 3g/4g wired tether, they simply block it, because you don't have that service. You'll get a similar error if you open the hotspot app, but it's error elaborates on what the "Registration Error" is, telling you that you don't have the service, and to contact customer support to add it.

Using the Epic as a wireless adapter is a little "bonus" feature, and a great backup for travelers and business people should something happen to the built in wireless in todays laptops.
    Majesty9917 likes this.
    06-15-2011 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD