Sprint Repair List for Epic

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am heading to have my microUSB port fixed today (hopefully)... Do I really have to change my software back if the issue is obviously faulty hardware? Are they really going to claim the software somehow caused physical hardware port damage (impossible of course)??

If its rooted they will most likely not play with it as a general rule of thumb. Occasionally you will find a cool tech that will not care but I would Odin back and take it in stock.

Took me a whole 20-30 minutes when I got home to root, load up Bonsai 4.1.1 and flash my Gears of War theme and get my stuff back in order.

As far as the microUSB port I didn't know they messed with that. I thought that was one of those things that was considered a replacement or sent to Sammy for repair if you didn't use your TEP. I know it has soldered on parts, if those are broke they usually won't cover it.

Reactions: Since9600

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The port is attached fine just won't charge right unless you fiddle with...
I decided to take it in anyway and the tech acknowledged pretty much what I thought. (I took it to a dif service center as the last one left a bad taste due to arrogance.). Dude was most def cool and told me they can attempt to fix in store if I wanted and they can ignore the root thing BUT would most likely need to be exchanged and I will need to return to stock and bring it back as he can't send the phone back rooted.. Very nice and very cool. So I will return to stock now, just in case the port craps out completely and return to the same store next week when I have the time.

If its rooted they will most likely not play with it as a general rule of thumb. Occasionally you will find a cool tech that will not care but I would Odin back and take it in stock.

Last edited:

FenixOK

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Most Sprint techs you'll find are rooters themselves, but because of policy's put into place by their higher ups, they end up acting like douchebags.

Usually if it's a hardware problem, I'll check it long and hard to see if it could be a custom ROM causing a problem, but on something like a chargeport, it's obviously not a software problem causing the port to need to be fiddled with. We were told from a district guy that if it's rooted, it's cool to test and play with, but if we need to order a replacement phone, if we don't have the software available to flash it to stock, we have to have the customer do it. And if it's a software problem with the phone, the only thing we're really supposed to do with it is flash back to stock in an attempt to correct the issue.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Update: Store tech kept his word and today I showed them that I flashed back and I paid my $35 phone replacement fee upfront (no insurance was required).. Replacement phone is ordered and I pick it up this week. Happy with Sprint like always!

c0c0nutsp0rt

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
My phone is rooted. I think my battery is about to die. Sometimes it just dies when it was over 75% the last time I checked it.
My question is would I have to hand over the phone just for them to check the battery? Can I hang onto the phone? As soon as it boots up they will know it is rooted.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Can I hang onto the phone?

Most likely they will want the device as they will want to test it as part of the "trouble shooting process"... Also, keep in mind as stated in the OP "If your device is out of warranty you will have to buy a new battery, batteries are not covered under insurance as they are considered it's own separate entity." Lastly batteries by nature are subject to "wear and tear".. So they are under no obligation to replace although many will just because...
Have you tried completing full charge/discharge cycles as well as maybe resetting the battery stats in CWM?

Last edited:

c0c0nutsp0rt

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Most likely they will want the device as they will want to test it as part of the "trouble shooting process"... Also, keep in mind as stated in the OP "If your device is out of warranty you will have to buy a new battery, batteries are not covered under insurance as they are considered it's own separate entity." Lastly batteries by nature are subject to "wear and tear".. So they are under no obligation to replace although many will just because...
Have you tried completing full charge/discharge cycles as well as maybe resetting the battery stats in CWM?
They have replaced my battery for my Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 for free. I have TEP if that makes a difference.

I have tried everything except resetting battery stats in CWM. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try that now.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
They have replaced my battery for my Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 for free. I have TEP if that makes a difference.

I have tried everything except resetting battery stats in CWM. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try that now.
I think you got really lucky and/or have a great local repair tech on the two previous battery replacements.

I've had batteries crap out in the first month or so and they still wouldn't replace em even with TEP.

c0c0nutsp0rt

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried resetting battery stats in CWM and it didn't help. So I Odin back to stock and went to sprint. They said there is nothing bad with the battery but the phone failed one of thier tests. So they replaced the Epic and so far no battery or charging issues since Monday.

Sebnotic

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
So I've had a problem with my touch screen for months now. I've tolerated it before, but now, I can't. The screen doesn't response to me half the time and I have to quickly put my phone to sleep and wake it up with the power button to make it work again, even in games. I've calibrated the screen. Although it seemed to have fixed the problem, it comes back randomly. A good example is Angry Birds. Whenever you try pulling a bird back, it'll shoot itself back. I've tried this on all three angry bird games and even cleared their data to make sure it wasn't corrupt data. Another example is playing Cordy. Using the touchscreen controls is nice and all, but a few minutes into playing, the touchscreen keeps thinking the right button is pressed and it makes cordy keep going, even though I'm not pressing anything.

These are issues I can reproduce, although on the home screen, it comes randomly. The lockscreen won't slide up or to the side and I have to do the power thing in order to make it work. I've flashed many ROMs, odin so many times it's not even funny. I think it's something with the LCD at this point. I have the TEP and I believe I still have the warranty for another month(Since it's a year one and I got the phone a week after it came out). So I can get a replacement phone, right? Because this is annoying me at this point. I'm thinking about going to Sprint tomorrow(And of course, odining back to stock so they don't give me crap for being rooted.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well isn't this a bunch of bull...

Earlier this week my Epic decided to freak out, screen became unreadable... So I went in and had Sprint tech look at it and they did a gut swap with my guts into a new case/keyboard/screen from a refurb laying around. Well that fixed the screen but then we realized the WIFI was now not working and the SDCARD was trashed. Anyways now I just got a new refurb, this is #2 now in the same week and I bring it home to boot loops and vibrations out of control...

Nice job Assurion on the refurbs!

So tomorrow I will be calling Sprint and asking for some sort of discount on my bill for now a weeks worth of missed calls, interrupted service due to these headaches and now going on my 3rd refurb in a weeks time....

Maybe I can talk my local Sprint shop into TEP covering a factory new Epic since this is going on the 3rd refurb in a week, I think they owe it to me at this point because its obvious there is something going on with their refurbs.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm on my way to Sprint to turn in this piece of garbage refurb they gave me last night. From about 10 minutes after it was activated and I left the Sprint store until now it has rebooted probably about 100 times easily on its own, shut down on its own maybe a good dozen or so times and vibrates more than one could ever ask.. Bottom line a piece of junk. I would of turned around and went right back in but I was the last in line for the service department and they closed after I left.

I can't believe this type of thing slips by the testing the refurb people do... This phone is useless. I have used Odin on it 3 or 4 times to see if reflashing DI18/EB13/EC05 would change things but it doesn't so there is obviously a hardware failure going on....

Bottom line this hurts you my fellow members as much as it does me because I don't have a functioning Epic to aid you in trouble shooting and staying on top of anything new that hits the scene. :(

voteforcondit

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
maybe its just my account but sprint is offering a enrollment in TEP this month regardless of how long you have had your phone.... i already have it.... but those of you who don't should look into it....

zjohnny

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Note: This (very lengthy) list is provided as a quick reference, at no point should you go into your tech center and argue with your technicians because you read this list. Final discretion is always up to the technician. Any Liquid or Physical damage will nullify any authorization for repairs. /end note

This is just a quick reference for if you should or should not take your device in to your local friendly technician. This list should be a living list as guidelines for what can be fixed do change often. As I'm aware of them I will provide updates for the list, and if any other technicians have anything to add, have it added to the list! One last note, if I put something on here that we aren't authorized to fix, but your local technician does anyway, that is at his/her own discretion, and their stores charge back issues are their own. I'm just submitting the guidelines as they are provided to us.

I think the first thing I should cover here is TEP/ESP/ESRP and Asurion, what they are, what they do and what it means to you.

TEP: Total Equipment Plan – This insurance plan, and the one that I suggest the most, covers parts for your device, as well as replacement devices. This also allows you to file a claim with Asurion in the event of Liquid Damage and or Physical Damage.

ESP: Equipment Service Plan – Covers you in the event that you have to file with Asurion, that is it. Service fee's apply in the event that you need parts replaced, or a device ordered.

ESRP: Equipment Service and Repair Plan – Covers your parts and replacement phones, but if you get Liquid or Physical Damage, you are not covered by Asurion, and are out a phone.

Asurion: The insurance company, they are their own entity, and make their own guidelines. Sprint/Verizon/AT&T, so far as I know, really all carriers use them. We also have no control over the policies put into place by Asurion. A perfect example of this is that a few months ago I could replace cracked LCD's and or screens. Now, for any device, not just the Epic, we can't replace it if there are more than 2 cracks, or if they exceed an inch in length. I also get a lot of angry customers that want to take it out on us because the deductible for smart phones is $100.00 as opposed to the $50.00 that they are accustomed to. However, to be frank, it makes sense. Phones cost significantly more than $100.00, you paid 200 for your upgrade maybe, but it is still a $500.00 device, and buying one outright is going to burn up your pockets. Phones are more expensive to make, and because of this, deductibles are going to be more expensive – just like your car, the more expensive your car is, the higher your deductible will be. Which brings me to my next point...

REFURBISHED PHONES! - I see customers every single day that think they understand the system, and like, wanna stick it to the man, man. They think that throwing a temper tantrum in the waiting area will prevent us from ordering them refurbished phones, or yelling at Asurion over the phone in the store is going to get them a new device, or even into a whole separate device. It isn't going to change anything. You aren't bringing Sprint a brand new device that isn't working, they aren't going to send you a brand new device, except on rare occasions. If you have a device under 30 days that isn't working you have the right to exchange it for a new device. The same thing goes for Asurion, if you total your car they aren't going to give you the amount of money that you paid for your car, they are going to give you what your car is worth today, if you get a new car out of them, it will be a car that is worth the value of the vehicle you totaled, at the time you totaled it. Basically, you aren't turning in a brand new phone, so don't expect one.

Liquid Damage: Everyone freaks out when they hear this phrase. They take it to mean we are saying YOU WERE NEGLIGENT WITH YOUR PHONE, BE GONE. When in reality liquid damage is kind of a misleading name. It should really be called moisture damage. You didn't necessarily drop your phone in a puddle, but you did provide a way for moisture to get in your phone directly or indirectly. Do not take your phone in the bathroom with you when you shower, don't leave it on the bar when you're out having drinks, try to avoid getting caught out in the rain with it, and stop talking on your phones when you're taking a leak. People always look so upset when I refuse to touch their phone that they fished out of the urinal.

PS. Scraping your liquid indicator doesn't help – there are more than you know of, and it's an automatic flag in the system if we find your indicators have been removed.

Physical Damage
: Cracked Housing, Shattered LCD, LCD separated from the keyboard, smashed phones, burned phones, really any variation of physically broken outside of missing keys is going to be considered physical damage.

Now on to the whole reason I figured I should make this list, a quick reference for what I see often with Samsung Epics and what our guidelines state on repairs, exchanges, and insurance claims. Hopefully it helps a couple of you when the frustration of your device malfunctioning starts to hit.

Cosmetic Issues:

Missing buttons, anything slightly cracked...basically anything that is broken and is simply cosmetic, is not covered for replacement. I do have compassion for some customers that just need a couple screws tightened, or a new back for their phone. However, that is my personal call as the technician using extra parts I happen to have.

Port Failure

if it's just port failure, and device is not charging, device is authorized for exchange. However, this is another issue that is at technicians discretion because if the charging port is broken off the board, it is an insurance claim. Thanks to kg6bki for asking the question that prompted me to add this to the list

Screen Issues
:

Cracked screen: no more than two cracks, no more than an inch in length are authorized to be repaired, any more is an insurance claim.

Cracked LCD: Insurance Claim

Black/White/Blue/Garbled etc LCD: LCD is authorized to be replaced.

Screen flickers either randomly, or when opening/shutting keyboard: usually has something to do with the cable that connects your LCD to your board and can be easily replaced.

Dead Spots: LCD is authorized to be replaced

Unresponsive Screen: Calibration will be tried first, if does not fix, LCD is authorized to be replaced

Backlight out: LCD is authorized to be replaced

Keyboard
:

Unresponsive keys: keypad can be replaced

Hitting keys brings up random screens: Factory Reset is the most likely course of action

Audio Issues
:

Earpiece failure – Authorized for repair

Speaker Failure – Authorized for repair

Battery:

Not holding a charge: We can test it, but there are two types of test. The Cadex test, which basically test if the battery is able to gain a charge and send off a charge, takes about 45 seconds to do but isn't the most accurate. The other test is a 4 hour battery test, if the battery fails the store can replace it ONLY IF THE DEVICE IS STILL IN WARRANTY. If your device is out of warranty you will have to buy a new battery, batteries are not covered under insurance as they are considered it's own separate entity.

Note: Just because your battery life sucks doesn't mean you have a bad battery. It can also mean you don't know how to take care of your phone and have too much crap installed/running on your device. Smart phone does not mean superman phone, as awesome as the Epic is, it does still have limitations.

Software Issues:

This is most definitely, beyond the shadow of a doubt the number one reason I see devices coming in for service. These issues range from freezing, and unresponsiveness to power cycling and ghost dialing.

Software issues are some of the most frustrating and difficult things to actually troubleshoot. Is it that App you just installed on your phone, is it a fluke, is it liquid damage? I would say a huuuuuuge majority of these issues that I see are related to something customer driven (i.e. Apps (No. 1 offender), custom ROMS, liquid damage, messing with settings that they don't understand). Quite frankly a majority of smart phone users have absolutely NO idea how to take care of their devices. I don't blame the customer, I blame the sales reps for not educating them while selling them their devices.

To be honest Software issues a majority of time will be fixed by doing a factory reset, your technician doesn't have time to narrow down which app, or which setting, is causing your issue a majority of the time. We do know very fast things for some issues (texting issue, handcent app on there? Handcent has got to go!). Your best bet with this is to educate yourself BEFORE going on a app downloading spree, adjusting system settings, etc.

This is a list primarily for the Epic, although some parts of it can be applied to any sprint phone, smart phone or otherwise. Use common sense when operating your phone. Just because you THINK it should be able to do something doesn't mean that it actually should. Do some research, ask in the forums, don't just reach blindly into the dark and turn around horrified when you find you did something you can't undo.

If there is anything not on this list that you're curious about just ask, and if I don't know off hand it is extremely easy for me to find out!
Nice job tsr, if they have a rooted phone, you can work on it just put oem software back on it.

gondo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks regen, excellent info.

Maybe you can tell me what's going on with my Epic. I think I may have inadvertently damaged it with liquid seepage and take full responsibility. I was out for a long walk on a hot, humid day, which I have often done this past summer. I hold my Epic in my left hand while walking, because I am running an app called Endomondo, which tracks my walking distance, speed and pace via GPS, and I like to monitor my progress and speed.

Obviously, my hands and body get sweaty. I have a good case on my Epic, but that day not long after the walk, the phone basically freaked out, with all sorts of app force closes, buttons not working and other weirdness. The phone eventually froze, so I opened it completely up and noticed some liquid drops, no doubt sweat, inside the protective case back and also inside the back of the phone. I wiped the drops out, but they had probably been inside the phone for an hour or so. I wasn't home at the time and when I returned about an hour later, I opened the phone, pulled the battery and set it in front of a small strong fan. I thought later I should have used a hair blower/dryer for more intense heat, but oh well.

To make a long story short, I used the factory restore/bricked phone procedure here (with Odin) to get the phone back to stock Froyo. My phone had been rooted and was running ACE ROM 2.0. I have to admit that the phone now runs better and battery life is improved since restoring to Froyo.

HOWEVER (the point of this post), most issues from the crash fixed themselves, but some hardware issues remain. First, the camera button does not work anymore, does not open the camera app. It seemed kind of flaky ever since I got the phone, always taking a long button push to launch the camera. But now nothing. Fortunately, I can open the camera through the app icon. Second, one vertical row of keys on the slide out keyboard doesn't work - the 6/Y/H/B keys are all non-functional. I rarely used the physical keyboard, so no great loss.

My educated guess is that bit of sweat that leaked into the back did the camera button and keyboard damage. I should have known better, but I thought the phone would be relatively safe with the protective case despite the skin moisture. Guess I'll be wearing a latex glove on my left hand from now on when I walk and it's hot and humid :). Other than that, I take good care of my phone and try to avoid putting it in harm's way.

I don't have any insurance on the phone, but still thought I'd take it into the Sprint store for an evaluation. I can live without that row of keys and the camera button, so I feel fortunate in a way that there wasn't more damage. At the time the crash occurred, I was expecting the worst, but almost everything came back.

I have a liquid damage "remedy" I want you to debunk or confirm. Someone told me to completely submerge the phone in white rice, at least overnight and optimally 24 hours, apparently to draw the moisture out of the phone and get it to work again. Didn't work for my Epic, but have heard of success stories with other phones that suffered serious liquid damage (dropped in the toilet, etc.). Nonsense or helpful?

Thanks.

gondo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Update - my phone managed to fix itself, the camera launch button and the letters on the slide-out keyboard started working again. At first it was on and off, now they work all the time. What a relief.

Thought about taking it in to the Sprint store several times, but glad I was patient and held off. Sometimes miracles do occur :).

Bon Bons

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
hey, thanks for this thread. I've looked around and couldn't find an answer to my problem, and was hoping maybe you could help. Whenever I try to use my front facing camera I get a message that pops up saying "Warning Camera failed" and then I just click "ok" and it closes. It does the same thing if I try to use qik. I've taken it to Sprint, and they've done a factory reset, but it didn't fix it. They don't have technicians there and said I had to go to a store with one, but the closest one with technicians is far and I don't drive. I've rooted my phone, but have never flashed any ROMs. This became a problem before I even rooted it. Any response would be very appreciated. Thanks.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Would anyone know how to fix/repair the vibrator/vibration feature on the epic? I was suppose to send mine into Samsung but didn't in time so I'm now out of warranty. Don't want to bring it to sprint repair since they will just swap the phone out for a refurb and I DONT WANT A REFURB!! My phone works beautifully otherwise.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Would anyone know how to fix/repair the vibrator/vibration feature on the epic? I was suppose to send mine into Samsung but didn't in time so I'm now out of warranty. Don't want to bring it to sprint repair since they will just swap the phone out for a refurb and I DONT WANT A REFURB!! My phone works beautifully otherwise.

I would go into your local Sprint repair tech, talk to them and ask if they can order the part to fix the vibrate. From my understanding and hands on the dozen or times I have torn my down that most of the Epic's internals can be replaced very easily.. Everything is really just quick connect plugs or connectors...

I would just explain you would like to keep your device if they are willing to order the part to repair it which they are more than capable of doing. You might be surprised and they might have a piece they can swap from an existing Epic laying in their "scrap pile". They did that for me with my external speaker and it performed just as well as a new speaker for months until I got rid of my Epic.