Ok, I recently discovered (thanks to a post here on AC) that Sprint has greatly reduced the coverage where I live. It is between little & none. Been with Sprint for 10 years & always got great service for the most part. But now we have issues. 1 1/2 years left on contract so I need a question answered if anybody knows.

What is the best way to force an Android to roam?

My Wife has a stock EVO shift & I have an Epic running SRF 1.1.1 with EE03 modem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks....
    06-07-2011 01:08 PM
    Roam Control (available in the Market) works great to force roaming. There is a cost, but it works well. I searched for a way to force roaming awhile back and understand that Sprint removed the builtin capability so this is about the only way to do it now.

sent from my Epic 4G using Tapatalk
    monkey30butt likes this.
    06-07-2011 01:28 PM
    Roam Control (available in the Market) works great to force roaming. There is a cost, but it works well. I searched for a way to force roaming awhile back and understand that Sprint removed the builtin capability so this is about the only way to do it now.

The cost of the app is a LOT less than what the waived ETF's will be. If you do more than 50% of your calls on roaming for a couple months, Sprint will send a nice letter saying they want you to go elsewhere... I was faced with the situation a couple years ago, right around the time the Airaves came out. I didn't want to switch, but the letter made it clear that Sprint was going to terminate the contract on their side, so I would not have had to deal with the ETF. Not sure if that policy changed the past couple years or not...
    06-07-2011 08:23 PM
    The cost of the app is a LOT less than what the waived ETF's will be. If you do more than 50% of your calls on roaming for a couple months, Sprint will send a nice letter saying they want you to go elsewhere... I was faced with the situation a couple years ago, right around the time the Airaves came out. I didn't want to switch, but the letter made it clear that Sprint was going to terminate the contract on their side, so I would not have had to deal with the ETF. Not sure if that policy changed the past couple years or not...

Thanks for the info, I have three lines plus an Airave (line #4) so that could get very expensive.

I'm not sure what Sprint is doing but looks like they have turned their backs on a lot of loyal customers.
    I hope the Cust Serv reps are right & they fix this quickly. I'd hate to have to try to make my Epic work on Verizon. LOL...... I love this phone.
    06-07-2011 10:31 PM

Thanks, sounds like what I need.

Now rooting the Wife's phone. She may have a fit.
    06-07-2011 10:33 PM
    I have been using Roam Control for a while. I have not received any mail from Sprint yet. I am tired of sprint signal. Using RC it is a good idea if I want to leave Sprint without paying the termination fee.
    06-08-2011 09:01 AM
    My husband's Epic started getting horrible battery life with update. He did not want me to hack his phone since I always broke mine (ha) and then had to "fix".

I decided he needed the battery life and our vacation home was at end of service line, needed roam.
    So waited till he was asleep, hacked, rooted, and loaded same rom. After a couple of days, he had
    noticed a couple of subtle changes, told him it was an update (it was, I didn't lie), then told him about
    Roam Control option, showed working on my phone. Told me to add, so problem solved!!

I turn ours on when we get to lake, really helped get those calls from kids, and turn off when we leave so we don't "abuse" it. But as a loyal Sprint customer of 13 years, there are 2 choices - do this or switch to ATT. I think they prefer our 10 phone lines, so will tell them that if I get a letter.
    06-10-2011 07:38 AM
    Does roam control work for 3g data?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    06-10-2011 11:38 AM
    Does roam control work for 3g data?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I was wondering this myself. I recently purchased an epic 4g and was wondering if there was a way to force 3g only mode, because where I live my tp2 flips from 1x to 3g, so I have a force 3g on my tp2. I hope the epic has a way too, since I use it for my internet service.
    06-10-2011 05:17 PM