View Poll Results: When will it be here?

Voters
529. You may not vote on this poll
  • November

120 22.68%
  • December

88 16.64%
  • Early 2012

128 24.20%
  • Spring 2012

93 17.58%
  • NEVER!!!

100 18.90%
11-22-2011 02:35 PM
67 123
tools
    So there will be a "Droid-Prime" for Verizon only, and a "Nexus-Prime" for the current nexus carriers T-Mobile and Sprint ? And this "Prime" series of phones is made by Samsung, but then why is Samsung even releasing the U.S. version of the Galaxy S2 later this month, if this Prime device is coming shortly afterwards ?

But...Samsung did just that with the Nexus-S I suppose ? The Galaxy S1 came out to U.S. carriers in Aug/Sept 2010, and then in December Samsung/Google released the Nexus-S, which hardware wise is basically a beefed up Galaxy S1. So maybe the Prime is a beefed up Galaxy S2 running "Ice Cream"
    Well, rumor is two phones, but there are enough similarities that they could in fact be the same phone, just getting approved for multiple names, not sure yet. The rumor that the Droid Prime, if it is indeed headed for Verizon, being a beefed up S2 is in the mill.

And this "Prime" series of phones is made by Samsung, but then why is Samsung even releasing the U.S. version of the Galaxy S2 later this month, if this Prime device is coming shortly afterwards ?
    With sammy making the Nexus for Google, they don't actually take away that much from their direct line of phones because Touchwiz isn't on the Nexus which is essentially how sammy sets apart its handsets, just like HTC uses Sense. The Nexus phones were originally intended for android purists and developers, but have since gained some general user appeal. They also tend to set the standard for the next generation of mobile phone hardware. So for your average consumer, the Nexus won't ring any bells with Samsung like, say, the Epic does. Also, Samsung still makes money off of google for the handset so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter too much to them when they release it compared to their branded line of phones as its all money to them anyway.
    09-06-2011 10:15 PM
    I have the NS4G now, I told myself if the Prime doesn't come to Sprint before 2012 I'll get a Epic Tough 4G to hold me over until the Prime comes out.
    09-06-2011 11:58 PM
    so, it's not comming to verizon? *sigh* why must verizon get the ****ty phones?
    09-07-2011 07:36 AM
    so, it's not comming to verizon? *sigh* why must verizon get the ****ty phones?
    Um.... not sure where you read that it's not coming to Verizon.
    09-07-2011 07:58 AM
    Thanksgiving-ish.
    09-07-2011 08:05 AM
    Who cares if it comes to sprint if it isn't going to be 1280 x 720, this now is enough for me to for sure say that the gs2 will be my first android phone IF I decide to give up webOS in a couple weeks.
    09-07-2011 08:16 AM
    The People here who have Sprint and want this phone cares... I to am getting the E4GT but am looking forward to this phone... and just in case you didnt know the GSII isn't getting 1280x720 either...
    09-07-2011 09:02 AM
    No kidding, but to me, the HD screen was the big selling point of the prime. I'm not going to wait for something that doesnt have a release date and could potentially be 3-4 months (or more) out when there is something just as good going to be available in less than 2 weeks.
    09-07-2011 09:07 AM
    Nexus S was announced/shipped in Dec 2010. Sprint didn't get it till May 2011. I'm going to guess that the Prime is going to follow the same timeline.
    09-07-2011 10:12 AM
    Sprint will get the Nexus Prime before any of the other carriers.

When will that be? Hopefully Dec. 2011, but may not be till early 2012. But I don't know where people are getting this idea it will be Verizon. Sprint has been aligning itself with Google lately. It's inevitable.
    09-07-2011 10:20 AM

When will that be? Hopefully Dec. 2011, but may not be till early 2012. But I don't know where people are getting this idea it will be Verizon. Sprint has been aligning itself with Google lately. It's inevitable.
    A couple reasons. It was rumored to be at Verizon headquarters. And it's speculated that it is the reason why Verizon passed on the GS2. Obviously, this is all speculation and rumors, but there's actually more for it coming to Verizon than other carriers.
    09-07-2011 10:47 AM

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...r-verizon.html
    we got it from here
    and from here posted by Phil
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex..._-october.html
    look around the Nexus Prime threads its posted all over lol
    09-07-2011 11:41 AM
    We have seen the roadmaps for AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Only Verizon is shoing the Droid Nexus and that is for October. That means an exclusive for Verizon for some length of time just like T-Mobile got the Nexus S exclusive for 5 months. So at best February, 2012.

Sprint wants a flagship phone every five weks:
    May: Nexus S
    Jun: EVO 3D
    Jul: Photon
    Aug: less than 5 weeks
    Sep: Galaxy S II Epic Touch
    Oct: iPhone 5
    Nov: Epic 2 (slider)
    Dec: HTC 4.5"

The second factor is that Google wants at least 10 months between model, so again that points to February at the earliest.

Still, that is a lot of Sprint flagship phones in a short amount of time. In fact, Sprint has 4 of the top 10 phones. And truely unlimited data for one person is $69+$10 a month. And everyone on Sprint qualifies for at least a 10% EVP disount.

They need to get 5 weeks between releases so that people do not keep returning them within 30 days.
    Officerpolabear likes this.
    09-07-2011 02:31 PM
    Based on the report from thisismynext of Oct/Nov announcement...I can see a Dec release and then May for Sprint...

Lines up with what I guessed before.
    09-07-2011 02:54 PM
    I wonder if Google will even bother with T-MO this go round seeing as its Parent company is actively trying to get rid of it......

Plus T-MO never got behind the Nexus the way Sprint did with the Nexus S, T-MO didnt even bother putting 5$ worth of Marketing behind the phone....I still say Sprint will be the launch partner...

and I still say Verizon will not allow an fully open un-Verizonized Android on its Network, since Android unlike IOS is totally within the carriers control, and its not a Nexus if Verizon modifies it with any customization what so ever...(Regardless of ICS or not).....Hence why I think "Droid" Prime is probably true, the "Droid" label today means "Completely Verizonized"
    09-08-2011 11:50 PM
    Do we even truly know what Verizon is getting in the "Prime" ? Is it a true "Nexus" device, or will it be the Droid-Prime a supped up Galaxy S 2.5 ? Just weird that Verizon is getting first dibs at a Nexus device, after never selling them before.

But if true that Verizon is getting a true Nexus-Prime, then I would bet it will be several months before other carriers get the same device. Like Sprint had to wait 5 months for the Nexus-S.

Or third option, could be what Google said back in May that each carrier would get their own special Android 4.0 device to show off "Ice Cream", Verizon will be first with their Prime, but other carriers will also have new Ice Cream phones later this Fall.
    09-12-2011 11:01 AM
    Considering BGR, the same source that assumed all the specs of iPhone 5 and said it'll be sprint exclusive, are the ones being sourced saying prime will be verizon exclusive......unreliable
    10-04-2011 11:13 PM
    Considering BGR, the same source that assumed all the specs of iPhone 5 and said it'll be sprint exclusive, are the ones being sourced saying prime will be verizon exclusive......unreliable
    Well, I guess that would be right if the source was only BGR. Multiple sources have stated it's coming to Verizon first.
    ManBearPig618 likes this.
    10-04-2011 11:18 PM
    Well the Nexus S is pretty much in the Bargin Bin now with the ability to get it on 2yr for 50$ or less at various outlets. So I can't imagine it being much longer...

LMAO at the people who think Sprint wont get the Nexus.....Sprint is the only carrier that provides full integration of Google Services (GV, Google Wallet, etc) ...Sprint will probably be the launch carrier of the official "Nexus".
    I agree with you completely about Sprint's integration with Google and your logic behind it. But here are my prediction about the release. T-Mobile will obviously get it because of their relationship with Google(Nick Sears/G1) exclusively for about a month. Then Sprint will get it because they basically sleep with Google and will receive the Nexus near the Holiday season or late January. And AT&T getting it last around mid Spring beginning of Summer. Verizon will not get the Nexus Prime, will instead receive Samsung's new baby the Droid Prime with updated specs to the Droid Charge as a replacement.
    10-09-2011 02:24 AM
    I'm surprised by how many people think the Nexus won't be on Sprint. At first, I thought they were joking!
    10-09-2011 02:51 AM
    I expect Verizon has a U.S. exclusive through the end of the the calendar year (that is, through the holiday season), with Sprint and AT&T getting theirs in Q1 2012. The real question is whether the variant released in 2012 will have the new Exynos chip (and perhaps that's when Verizon gets the slider version?).
    10-09-2011 10:55 AM
    For a while, I was pretty confident that Sprint would get the next Nexus device. However, everything now seems to be pointing toward a Verizon exclusive at launch. My thought is that Verizon will get the next Nexus as an exclusive at launch with an unlocked/unbranded GSM version available as well. This is good news for AT&T/T-Mobile users because they'll be able to pick up the device as well, most likely not subsidized by their carrier though.

Sprint users may be the only ones that can't get this device for a few months. May/June timeframe seems realistic to me because it would put it 1 year from the Nexus S 4G release and would also align with Sprint's announcement of mid-2012 LTE phones. After a 6 month exclusive at Verizon, I could see Sprint getting the same LTE Nexus that Verizon gets as one of the first LTE phones available on Sprint.

I use Sprint, so I hope I am wrong and that Sprint does get the next Nexus faster. If I am correct though, at least I have a Nexus S 4G that should receive the Ice Cream Sandwich update faster than other devices out there.
    10-10-2011 08:52 AM
    Motorola and Verizon press event scheduled for October 18th; Xoom 2, Droid HD, and Xoom Media Edition coming? | This is my next...
    verizon motorola event, maybe this is why they passed on galaxy s2?

probably not, but Im hoping
    Lucki likes this.
    10-10-2011 09:01 AM
    I really hope Sprint gets this phone. Even without 4G, it would be fine. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with the iPhone 4S.

I hear a rumor that Sprint is going to launch LTE with an iPhone 5 exclusive. I really don't see that happening though.
    10-10-2011 10:27 PM
    Let's hope sprint gets it first along with other carriers. If they don't IMA BE PISSED >_< smh
    renoriggs likes this.
    10-10-2011 11:38 PM
67 123