Predictions: When will the Sprint GNex be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
technology is like a bag of chips - it goes stale quickly and has an expiration date when it becomes obsolete. the life span of a new phone is only about 12 months. this is especially true for the Nexus phones. we are only about 8 months away from a new Nexus. hence - Sprint needs to stop sitting on the G-Nex and release it already. this is starting to get ridiculous.

Heck man...look how long it took them to release the Nexus S 4G. That was almost ancient by the time it came out. Makes me a little worried about the G'Nex.

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
January 11, 2012
By Sascha Segan

LAS VEGAS ? Sprint is making a big jump over to LTE. The company won't be introducing any more WiMAX smartphones, Sprint's VP of product realization David Owens said today, preferring instead to bulk up its upcoming LTE lineup. And those LTE phones will be Android phones, at least for now, as Owens had some tough things to say about Microsoft's Windows Phone OS.

Sprint launched its first two LTE smartphones here at CES, the flashy Samsung Galaxy Nexus (we have a full review of the Verizon Wireless model) and the LG Viper, which we did a hands-on with earlier at the show.

With those two in the pipeline and more phones potentially coming "by midyear" when Sprint launches LTE, the company is pretty much done with launching WiMAX smartphones, Owens said.

"We've just gone through an extensive set of launches," which will keep Sprint's product line fresh for a while, Owens said.

"April, May, June, July, August, those will be very aggressive times for us," Owens said.

And he warned that Sprint will probably over-deliver on its LTE buildout promises. While Sprint has only promised four LTE cities by the middle of the year, "By the second half of the year" means "between now and midyear," Owens said. "Other markets may launch in 2012," too.

Sprint: We're Bullish On LTE, Not Windows Phone | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
let's look at the past to help us guess the future -

3-23-10 EVO 4G announced
6-4-10 EVO 4G available for sale

10-18-11 Verizon SGN announced
12-15-11 Verizon SGN available for sale

1-9-12 Sprint SGN announced
3-9-12 Sprint SGN available for sale?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
With the online special for Verizon's SGN being only 2 days (22nd, 23rd), a release announcement this Friday the 24th could indeed be correct.
Gekko will win the big prize for the correct guess.
Not sure what the prize is, but we will figure something out. :p

The next guess is how much will Sprint be asking for it.

Mav.

my prize will be getting my hands on the Sprint G-Nex!!!

i would love to see an announcement of the release date tomorrow but i'm not holding my breath.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of the Nexus S - When was it released and when did it come to Sprint. Just Wondering.

The Nexus S 4G came to Sprint in May 2011. The GSM model was released in December 2010. Hopefully, Sprint's Galaxy Nexus release will be more timely than that.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S 4G came to Sprint in May 2011. The GSM model was released in December 2010. Hopefully, Sprint's Galaxy Nexus release will be more timely than that.

But as Gekko pointed out above, they didn't announce the Nexus S until March, two months prior to the release. According to the data he has shown this is the trend with Sprint, announce a phone, two months later release it, and the Nexus Galaxy was announced in January.

JobiWan144

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
With the online special for Verizon's SGN being only 2 days (22nd, 23rd), a release announcement this Friday the 24th could indeed be correct.
Gekko will win the big prize for the correct guess.
Not sure what the prize is, but we will figure something out. :p

The next guess is how much will Sprint be asking for it.

Mav.

My prediction on pricing: Starting a $200 minus change, later reduced to $100 minus change (on contract).

Why: I haven't heard of any phone Sprint has released in the last couple years that they charge $200 or more for a new phone on contract, notably excepting the iPhone 4S 32GB and 64GB ($299 and $399, respectively, which are standard prices from Apple). In addition, the guy from Sprint I talked to said they'd charge $199 or so (on contract, of course). I don't remember how sure he was, but it seems quite reasonable given Sprint's track record.

Prior history with Gingerbread: Sprint released the Nexus S 4G for $200 minus change (May 2011), later reducing it to $99.99 around the time the Samsung Galaxy S II 4G was released in Canada (July 2011). It would make sense that Sprint would follow the same pattern with Ice Cream Sandwich: release the Galaxy Nexus for ~$200, then halve the price when Samsung releases the Galaxy S III.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm going to hope for it, I've got 5 days until my upgrade and my Hero is getting worse. I'm going to head to Best Buy sometime this weekend and see what they may or may not know. Also to take a look at the Galaxy S2.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Since it looked like that this was missed and it is interesting info, I am re-posting it:

I have just noticed that on this page: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/ it says this:

"Sprint Galaxy Nexus - A forum dedicated to enthusiasts of the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint slated for release in July 2012."

This would be the beginning of the 3rd Quarter and would match what Sprint's 4G LTE release says about "mid-2012"

Curiouser and curiouser. :eek:

Thoughts?

Mav. :cool:

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Since it looked like that this was missed and it is interesting info...
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't missed but ignored in the hopes that Gekko's guess was correct. Also the fact that I'm pretty certain that has been the caption since Sprint officially announced getting the Nexus Galaxy, and that everyone is of the opinion that releasing it in July is the worst idea seeing as at that point the phone will already be 9 months old and only about two months away from the next Nexus. And then on top of all that a release in July means that Sprint has no Android devices to buy until July, which means the iPhone people will buy an iPhone anyway, but everyone else will go to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon which is a huge amount of customers to lose.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't missed but ignored in the hopes that Gekko's guess was correct. Also the fact that I'm pretty certain that has been the caption since Sprint officially announced getting the Nexus Galaxy, and that everyone is of the opinion that releasing it in July is the worst idea seeing as at that point the phone will already be 9 months old and only about two months away from the next Nexus. And then on top of all that a release in July means that Sprint has no Android devices to buy until July, which means the iPhone people will buy an iPhone anyway, but everyone else will go to AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon which is a huge amount of customers to lose.

That's cool. I am used to being ignored. :D
Odd that I had never seen that caption with as much as I surf this site, but stranger things have happened.
I hope that some info comes out of MWC and agree that July is way too late to release this phone.

What will the next Nexus phone be and who will get it first?

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
That's cool. I am used to being ignored. :D
I did not mean to be offensive, in case you may have taken it that way.
Odd that I had never seen that caption with as much as I surf this site, but stranger things have happened.
I hope that some info comes out of MWC and agree that July is way too late to release this phone.
Well I'm guessing since this is on the Android Central forums and they had official word they would have also published a story about it (not to mention everyone else one the internet would have the same info available including the Sprint website), but as you pointed out Sprint's statement that it would be available mid-year could coincide with the July date which could have been randomly chosen to fit that (also think of all the people who were pissed off at Verizon for Verizon missing release deadlines that were never even confirmed but just rumours, if the rumours had said January 2012 and they released it in December 2011 everyone would have been happy).

What will the next Nexus phone be and who will get it first?
Really hoping it's something by Motorola or maybe HTC. I'm not a big fan of Samsung devices, plus I've had the feeling that Samsung held out on the Nexus Galaxy for possibly selfish reasons (don't they have to share Nexus revenue with Google unlike revenue from any other phones?). If Motorola makes it then there is no reason they would hold out and not try making it the best phone they can make seeing as they are now Google. As for who gets it, I really hope there is no more of this "exclusive" bull . Everyone should be able to get the phone at the same time (minus the actual carriers being made of fail).

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It's cool. No offense taken.
All good info. It said "slated to be released" which could mean almost anything.
Sprint wants to under promise and over deliver.
Patience, my young Padwan.

Sent from the future on my Android Optimus S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc