Predictions: When will the Sprint GNex be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, starting to look at getting a used Nexus S and waiting to see what Summer and Autumn bring us.

the sad part is that the Nexus S 4G doesn't even have ICS yet - even after all of these months. it kind of almost defeats the purpose of getting a Nexus device when OS updates take this long. there are no excuses.

my guess is that the LTE G-Nex will suffer the same fate.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
the sad part is that the Nexus S 4G doesn't even have ICS yet - even after all of these months. it kind of almost defeats the purpose of getting a Nexus device when OS updates take this long. there are no excuses.

Man, I wouldn't even worry about it. Look how fast custom ROMs get updated...forget waiting for official ones. :p

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

OS is not the reason I want a new phone. As was pointed out there are tons of custom roms out there that will get me what I want software-wise. My problem is the lack of space (Hero has something like 75-100? mb of space for apps), there is a minimum of 20 mb of free space needed for the phone to run well I'm constantly at 16-19 mb free (all the apps I have get slightly larger with each update some having grown 350% since I got them originally).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. most normal people like me don't want to fuss and tinker with ROMs. when you tinker you ask for trouble and i need 100% reliability and up-time.

2. how many apps do you really need to keep on your phone at once? do you really use them all and are they all really necessary to keep on your phone 24/7/? IMO less is more. cut the clutter and lower your anxiety level.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
1. most normal people like me don't want to fuss and tinker with ROMs. when you tinker you ask for trouble and i need 100% reliability and up-time.
But most people don't really care about OS version, they want a phone to make calls, text, browse the web and play games, all while unaware of what version of Android is running it. Those people who do care about having the latest version are the ones who probably also root their phones and are willing to play with custom roms. If you don't want to fuss and tinker because you need reliability don't bake your own version, wait a month or so after CyanogenMod releases the first build. As I understand they have support for a wide range of phones and good builds.

2. how many apps do you really need to keep on your phone at once? do you really use them all and are they all really necessary to keep on your phone 24/7/? IMO less is more. cut the clutter and lower your anxiety level.

Google Maps 11.7 mb
Contacts Storage 8.13 mb
Market 4.4 mb
That is 24.23 mb right there (a quarter of all the space if the phone has 100mb (I have a feeling it is closer to 75 mb though)). These come with the phone and I kind of need to keep on the phone to have a useful phone.
Next is the top 5 apps by size:
Google+ 7.96 mb
eBay 7.37 mb
Square 6.17 mb
Dolphin Browser 4.94 mb
Goggle 4.79 mb
For a total of 44.46 mb of storage. Add in the 20 mb of free space necessary for running the phone* and I have 65 mb out of the 100 mb used up. Now take into account that for most apps, every time they update they get bigger (Google Maps started at 3 mb when I first got the phone) that means just updating the apps I have and not adding anything new starts eating into memory.

*At 20 mb of free space my phone starts telling me I'm running low, at around 15 mb free space it takes half a minute to register that I hit the "call" button (leads to sometimes taking 5 minutes to try and call somebody because I hit it, nothing happens, hit it again, starts calling, then after someone picks up it starts calling them again and goes to voice mail, need to hang up and have them recall me).

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. but most people want the advanced features of the newest OS.

2. come on. all of these apps are redundant and extraneous and unnecessary -

Google+ 7.96 mb
eBay 7.37 mb
Square 6.17 mb
Dolphin Browser 4.94 mb
Goggle 4.79 mb

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
1. but most people want the advanced features of the newest OS.

2. come on. all of these apps are redundant and extraneous and unnecessary -

Google+ 7.96 mb
eBay 7.37 mb
Square 6.17 mb
Dolphin Browser 4.94 mb
Goggle 4.79 mb

Please tell me how they are redundant? I need a browser to use the internet and the stock android browser sucks, so Dolphin Browser. A barcode scanner is useful to have, I used to use ZXing's app but as of the update late summerish last year it doesn't work on my phone without crashing several times first, so Google Goggles (plus the image to text feature is cool). Square lets me take credit/debit card payments. eBay I will grant you is somewhat redundant, but I don't recall eBay's mobile site being very good.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Why is this thread no locked? :confused: It is useless

Then, with all due respect, stop reading it.

Still thinking mid April for release.
My (so called) logic tells me that if Sprint will have the phones to give to the contest winners, it will have the phones to release to the rest of the unwashed masses.
Again, just my $.02¢.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Android Optimus S.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Then, with all due respect, stop reading it.

Still thinking mid April for release.
My (so called) logic tells me that if Sprint will have the phones to give to the contest winners, it will have the phones to release to the rest of the unwashed masses.
Again, just my $.02?.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Android Optimus S.

Agreed. Sprint did something very similar when they released the Evo 3D - had a contest that ran for a few weeks and the winners got the phone. If I remember, they actually got the phone via early release, but it was a pretty short period - maybe a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae