09-22-2012 08:13 PM
102 12345
tools
    lol no it's the way Verizon blanketed NYC with DAS on almost every block, so your user experience doesn't change much if you're on the go. They have small cells in all kinds of businesses, hotel entrances, poles, and fiber is already there.
    This is a very large exaggeration. You make it seem like VZN 4G LTE speeds are a lot better than they really are (which either way you look at it, are still very good). You are showing max speeds possible - NOT what people will actually get. Stop making it seem like 70mbit is all over NYC.

PC World just tested 4G LTE in NYC and the results are NOT 70mbit.

Another metric:
    Solving the LTE Puzzle: Comparing LTE Performance — Tech News and Analysis

Combining our test results from all 15 markets, AT&T’s LTE service averaged a download speed of 17.4 Mbps, while Verizon averaged 15.2 Mbps.

It's awesome that you can post speeds that fast - but lets call it what it is - a max theoretical test that shows how awesome 4G LTE is. I mean, the only reason why AT&T beat VZN is because their network is less loaded.
    04-23-2012 01:16 PM
    This is a very large exaggeration. You make it seem like VZN 4G LTE speeds are a lot better than they really are (which either way you look at it, are still very good). You are showing max speeds possible - NOT what people will actually get. Stop making it seem like 70mbit is all over NYC.

PC World just tested 4G LTE in NYC and the results are NOT 70mbit.

Click to view quoted image

Another metric:
    Solving the LTE Puzzle: Comparing LTE Performance — Tech News and Analysis

Combining our test results from all 15 markets, AT&T’s LTE service averaged a download speed of 17.4 Mbps, while Verizon averaged 15.2 Mbps.

It's awesome that you can post speeds that fast - but lets call it what it is - a max theoretical test that shows how awesome 4G LTE is. I mean, the only reason why AT&T beat VZN is because their network is less loaded.
    Does "Verizon's Galaxy Nexus can max out 10Mhz channel on a good day" mean 70mbps every day, all day long to you? Why are you getting all worked up for no reason? These are the peak download speeds achieved in a user level environment, in a year old commercial NYC LTE market, on a user equipment, in this case Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
    04-23-2012 01:25 PM
    Man.. sprint speeds do suck sometimes. I got the below dismal speeds at work just now :thumbdown::banghead:
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    04-23-2012 01:56 PM
    Does "Verizon's Galaxy Nexus can max out 10Mhz channel on a good day" mean 70mbps every day, all day long to you? Why are you getting all worked up for no reason? These are the peak download speeds achieved in a user level environment, in a year old commercial NYC LTE market, on a user equipment, in this case Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
    No but in RE to this:

Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Wow! Did you climb the tower, disconnect all other users from it, tape your phone to an antennae and hit the "Begin Test" button?
    lol no it's the way Verizon blanketed NYC with DAS on almost every block, so your user experience doesn't change much if you're on the go. They have small cells in all kinds of businesses, hotel entrances, poles, and fiber is already there.
    You make it sound like it's that fast everywhere... which it is not. Fast? Yes. Capable of 70mbits on a good day? yes. Are those typical speeds? No, of course not. Your user experience changes a TON going from 70mbit to 5mbit

Obviously both are blazing fast, just want to make sure people don't expect 70mbit speeds that's all.
    04-23-2012 03:40 PM
    Right now data speeds for me are zero unles i am on wifi. Apparently there is a nationwide ticket cause these phones will not update correctly (profile or prl). My area says it should resolved around 3am. My area is also a 1stvroll out area for lte (austin)
    04-23-2012 03:50 PM
    I can't wait till roll out in houston

04-23-2012 03:54 PM
    No but in RE to this:

You make it sound like it's that fast everywhere... which it is not. Fast? Yes. Capable of 70mbits on a good day? yes. Are those typical speeds? No, of course not. Your user experience changes a TON going from 70mbit to 5mbit

Obviously both are blazing fast, just want to make sure people don't expect 70mbit speeds that's all.
    I was talking about user experience not necessarily the speed itself being fast everywhere. You hardly ever get dropped service, and dead zones in Manhattan on Verizon's LTE due to the serious cell density I was referring to.
    Again, my screenshot represents peak download speeds on Verizon's year old commercial LTE network, maxing out 10Mhz channel in New York City, using my own stock Galaxy Nexus.
    04-23-2012 03:58 PM
    Isn't the sprint LTE starting out on the 1900mhz network ( the slower connection) then opening the 800mhz network later ( the faster of the networks) so it would seem right that the speeds are less then Verizon's but I will wait sprint out then pay all that money just to get couple of mbps but that is just me
    04-23-2012 04:22 PM
    Isn't the sprint LTE starting out on the 1900mhz network ( the slower connection) then opening the 800mhz network later ( the faster of the networks) so it would seem right that the speeds are less then Verizon's but I will wait sprint out then pay all that money just to get couple of mbps but that is just me
    I might be wrong but I do not believe the spectrum is connected with the speed. It is more related to distance and building penetration. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Anyway, the true speed test to see how Sprints LTE network will work is when they actually have people using it. As long as you can pull speeds of at least 4-5mbs a second, anything faster is just for benchmarks. You can stream HD vids and such without a problem at those speeds.

I would be more worried about the roll out and how many markets Sprint can roll out in the quickest time. That is where it will count.

That is the great thing about Verizon's network right now. Not that you just get great speeds, but whenever you look at your phone it usually says 4G.
    04-23-2012 04:46 PM
    Actually at 1900 they will have more available bandwidth than at 800, but the lower frequency will have better penetration and range.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    04-23-2012 07:11 PM
    I was talking about user experience not necessarily the speed itself being fast everywhere. You hardly ever get dropped service, and dead zones in Manhattan on Verizon's LTE due to the serious cell density I was referring to.
    Again, my screenshot represents peak download speeds on Verizon's year old commercial LTE network, maxing out 10Mhz channel in New York City, using my own stock Galaxy Nexus.

The good coverage is a result of the prime 700MHz spectrum.

Verizon actually has less 700MHz LTE sites than PCS sites (way less). As capacity starts to roll in they will backfill with more basestations.
    04-23-2012 07:18 PM
    The good coverage is a result of the prime 700MHz spectrum.

Verizon actually has less 700MHz LTE sites than PCS sites (way less). As capacity starts to roll in they will backfill with more basestations.
    I dont think 700Mhz matters as much in the urban areas like Manhattan where they have thousands of small cells hidden on every street block, in ceilings, poles, etc. The regular macro cells are not as important.
    700Mhz matters a lot more in less urban areas when the signal propagation is crucial, where signal actually travells longer and Verizon doesn't have to deploy cell sites on every corner.
    04-23-2012 07:47 PM
    10Mbps download would be plenty fast for me.

I just hope Sprint will have good LTE coverage. I am on LTE 95% of the time with Verizon.
    04-23-2012 09:46 PM
    I dont think 700Mhz matters as much in the urban areas like Manhattan where they have thousands of small cells hidden on every street block, in ceilings, poles, etc. The regular macro cells are not as important.
    700Mhz matters a lot more in less urban areas when the signal propagation is crucial, where signal actually travells longer and Verizon doesn't have to deploy cell sites on every corner.
    That's correct. The biggest reason they want the AWS spectrum is for big markets like New York and Chicago where higher frequencies are better.

04-24-2012 02:42 AM
    700MHz is still 700MHz and will provide the best indoor coverage. Yes, in urban environment there are a lot more cells to close the coverage gap but you can't beat the propagation characteristics of 700MHz vs 1900MHz.

According to Verizon they have only started to talk about deploying small cells:
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021897886

Related story about it here:
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...lls/2012-03-05

Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) will begin deploying LTE small cells and femtocells sometime in the future to meet growing capacity demands, according to a recent filing the carrier made with the FCC. However, Verizon did not indicate when it would do so.

In the filing, Bill Stone, Verizon's executive director of network strategy, stated that "as the technology becomes available and matures, Verizon Wireless will be deploying small cells aggressively to increase system capacity." Parts of Stone's statement were redacted.

According to a provider of DAS hardware and technology, Verizon doesn't even have a cohesive DAS strategy
    Carrier Positioning The Inside Story

In the future, if you want to have a discussion, please post relevant posts on where you obtain this mythical information from. It's annoying when someone proposes that a carrier has "thousands of small cells hidden [everywhere]" when Verizon DOES NOT and has EXPLICITLY stated to the FCC that small cells are something they are going to install (but have not).
    04-24-2012 08:03 AM
    That's correct. The biggest reason they want the AWS spectrum is for big markets like New York and Chicago where higher frequencies are better.

The frequencies aren't "better" they are "different".

When you deploy 700MHz for good coverage and then backfill with AWS, you not only add additional spectrum but you can "recycle" the AWS more often because it doesn't propagate as well.

Ideally, you want both - the 700MHz for coverage and then higher, more available, spectrum to add capacity.

For example, we see Sprint deploying 5x5 of FD-LTE on ESMR (800MHz), then 5x5 (to start) of FD-LTE on PCS (1900MHz) and then TD-LTE using Clearwire's ERS/BRS (2.5GHz) spectrum to add even more capacity.

Clearwire's LTE configuration will be deployed in what Clearwire calls "fat pipes". They will aggregate 20MHz blocks of spectrum to move just massive amounts of data. The LTE-Advanced (rel 10) allows up to five 20MHz channels to be aggregated. Not sure exactly what clearwire will do, but figure at least 20MHz + 20MHz.

Verizon is doing the same thing. They are starting with 700MHz for coverage, then will expand to AWS for capacity.
    04-24-2012 08:25 AM
    700MHz is still 700MHz and will provide the best indoor coverage. Yes, in urban environment there are a lot more cells to close the coverage gap but you can't beat the propagation characteristics of 700MHz vs 1900MHz.

According to Verizon they have only started to talk about deploying small cells:
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021897886

Related story about it here:
    Verizon to deploy LTE femtocells, small cells - FierceWireless

Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) will begin deploying LTE small cells and femtocells sometime in the future to meet growing capacity demands, according to a recent filing the carrier made with the FCC. However, Verizon did not indicate when it would do so.
    That future is now lol. I'm inviting you to NYC and challenging you to find me some visible Verizon's cell sites, especially Verizon's eNodeB's in midtown Manhattan. It's all small cells fed by whichever fiber is available at the location. Another challenge is to find those small cells as theyre hidden extremely well. And you know they're literarily next to you as you're staring at your UE with signal -30dBm inside of starbucks, hotels, shopping malls, etc.
    04-24-2012 10:08 AM
    That future is now lol. I'm inviting you to NYC and challenging you to find me some visible Verizon's cell sites, especially Verizon's eNodeB's in midtown Manhattan. It's all small cells fed by whichever fiber is available at the location. Another challenge is to find those small cells as theyre hidden extremely well. And you know they're literarily next to you as you're staring at your UE with signal -30dBm inside of starbucks, hotels, shopping malls, etc.
    I am going to have to go with Bill Stone, Verizon's executive director of network strategy who said last month that they have not deployed small cells. Just because you can't see a cell doesn't mean that it's a small cell either.

I am not trying to dispute your claim that Verizon's 4G LTE coverage is VERY good in Manhattan (I agree, I've used it and was blown away). And I'll be the first to say that Clearwire's 4G WiMAX in NYC is absolute garbage.

The primary driver of good coverage for VZN in Manhattan is the prime 700MHz spectrum that they paid good money for. It was a wise investment and has paid off BIG for them.
    04-24-2012 11:09 AM
    Actually Verizon's evdo and 1x coverage is even better than their LTE, so as I said before, the 700mhz Isn't necesarily their primary driver. It helps, but their main driver in NYC is cell density and backhaul that's second to none. if Clearwire had similar density in NYC they would've been amazing with their 2.6ghz holdings. Remember, Swedish provider Telia Sonera has been running FDD LTE on that same band for over two years and their service is spot on.
    Mrbluepre likes this.
    04-24-2012 08:17 PM
    04-25-2012 08:47 AM
    what are everyone's thoughts on 3G day-to-day? horribly slow, decent, so-so?
    04-25-2012 04:18 PM
    I'd think if you're already on Sprint then 3G would work like you're used to.
    04-26-2012 08:57 AM
    I'd think if you're already on Sprint then 3G would work like you're used to.
    Would make sense to me as well..
    04-26-2012 09:19 AM
    I know it is wishful thinking since Minnesota isn't supposed to be live until later this year but no one is supposed to be live yet so has anyone tried LTE in Minnepolis yet or are there reports of areas not in the first wave having some LTE yet?

I honestly don't care if at the end of everything Sprint's LTE ends up being 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. It would be vastly better than Sprint's current 3G and the building penetration would make it useable vs wimax. You could do pretty much everything instantly other than if you want to download an HD movie quickly or something. Streaming anything and smallish files would be really fast even at 5Mbps down.
    04-26-2012 10:46 AM
    my day to day 3g is probably the best i've had on any phone on sprint.

I'm getting on average 1.6mbps down and around .3 mbps up on 3g.

No Sprint LTE in San Diego for my to check. T_T
    04-26-2012 12:11 PM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD