Apps that I'm Adding and Deleting because of my new G-Nex

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Adding -

Chrome for Android - it will be nice to have native synced bookmarks from Chrome Desktop in my mobile browser! ICS only.
Nova Launcher - first thing i do will be to remove the big Google search bar from the G-Nex Home Screen. ICS only.
FoxFi - free Wifi tethering. i will use it in emergencies but won't abuse it. didn't work with my EVO.
PayPass Locator - critical App to have to find local Google Wallet accepting retail locations. obviously Google Wallet NFC only.

Deleting -

ChromeMarks - great App but now obsolete after ICS and Chrome for Android.
EasyTether - FoxFi should take its place.

what Apps are you adding and deleting because of the new G-Nex and why?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting topic.

Going from my Nexus S to GNex (launch-day in Canada last December before the S got ICS)...
Added:
-LightFlow (controls LED Notifications the S didn't have)
-Nova launcher Prime (ICS- specific)
-Chrome (ICS-specific)

Deleted:
-Network Monitor (included in ICS)

Other than those, my 2 Android phones look identical running the same ~120 Apps & 16 games (I own tons more but keep my Kindle Fire to sideload games I've purchased through Google Play & Amazon).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. i was thinking about LightFlow. how reliable is it? does it screw anything else up? does it really provide value?

2. why did you choose Nova Launcher PRIME? i didn't really see any big advantage over the free version. my primary reason for Nova is to nix the Google search bar from the Home screen.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
1. i was thinking about LightFlow. how reliable is it? does it screw anything else up? does it really provide value?

-Very reliable like any Notification App if you take the time to set it up properly
-It doesn't screw anything else up and I use 2 other "Notification" Apps - Missed It! & StatusBar+
-I have the paid version because I want it for all my Apps (or pretty close)
-I honestly wasn't sold on the whole LED thing and considered it a BB novelty (even back when I had the Nexus One) - now I can't live without it and hope all future Nexus devices support it!

2. why did you choose Nova Launcher PRIME? i didn't really see any big advantage over the free version. my primary reason for Nova is to nix the Google search bar from the Home screen.

-The Dev is awesome and deserves the support (since WidgetLocker)
-I like the small little added features. If all you need is to get rid of the Google Search bar, try GO Launcher EX perhaps. Personally I keep the persistent search bar even with Nova launcher Prime - I like the look and easy to access it.
-I also always pay if there's an option (even if it's just to remove ads or that annoying "Why no pay?" type message though not if it's just to "donate - I do want atleast something even if it's just no more ads or added setting to "save multiple presets"), force of habit and because I also work for a Developer so there's that sense of comradary.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks @lanhoj. Wife and I just upgraded from EVO 4G to GNEX. Two things we missed from the Sense UI was the home screen preview and long pressing home screen to add apps and widgets. I also hate the real estate lost to the search bar.

Nova Launcher Prime covered those plus a lot more. What a great launcher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Since the Gnex, I don't use Chompsms anymore or PDANet and ADW Launcher.

I also use nova, but refuse to pay 4.00 for the few added benefits. I want to support developers but lets get back to the .99 or 1.99 price model.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My palette of apps have not changed at all. But I will tell you what apps I hope can work on ICS.

1.GunBros
2.Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2012
3. A good Internet Radio app for local radio (for some reason there is no local Internet Radio app for Singapore on Android).

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I will tell you what apps I hope can work on ICS.

1.GunBros
2.Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2012
3. A good Internet Radio app for local radio (for some reason there is no local Internet Radio app for Singapore on Android).

Don't know about Swimsuit 2012 but GunBros works and I use TuneIn for radio - they have stations worldwide.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
-Very reliable like any Notification App if you take the time to set it up properly
-It doesn't screw anything else up and I use 2 other "Notification" Apps - Missed It! & StatusBar+
-I have the paid version because I want it for all my Apps (or pretty close)
-I honestly wasn't sold on the whole LED thing and considered it a BB novelty (even back when I had the Nexus One) - now I can't live without it and hope all future Nexus devices support it!

-The Dev is awesome and deserves the support (since WidgetLocker)
-I like the small little added features. If all you need is to get rid of the Google Search bar, try GO Launcher EX perhaps. Personally I keep the persistent search bar even with Nova launcher Prime - I like the look and easy to access it.
-I also always pay if there's an option (even if it's just to remove ads or that annoying "Why no pay?" type message though not if it's just to "donate - I do want atleast something even if it's just no more ads or added setting to "save multiple presets"), force of habit and because I also work for a Developer so there's that sense of comradary.

1. i like Nova because it's based on pure native ICS. the other launchers are all clunky and laggy IMO.
2. i read some review on LightFlow and i saw some bad comments about battery use, resource use, and blinking that does not easily go away. these are deal breakers for me.

Quikstep

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Adding -

FoxFi - free Wifi tethering. i will use it in emergencies but won't abuse it. didn't work with my EVO.

How'd you get FoxFi to work? I went to it on Google Play and see an incompatible message:
"This app is incompatible with your Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus
This item is not available on your carrier."

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Quikstep and xdalaw

ofthecats86

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I highly recommend Apex Launcher as an alternative to Nova Launcher. Has more features than Nova Prime and is free.

PS: It is very similar to ICS stock launcher. Also, it has a preview option similar to the Sense one mentioned.

pppilot

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Screenshot attached.

For LightFlow - I have none of those problems on my GNex

Nor do I have any problems with LightFlow on my GNex. It's a great app that adds functionality to the phone that should have been included from the beginning. Couldn't live without it now. I would, though, recommend that you reboot your phone after you install it or anytime LightFlow is updated to prevent glitches with the app.

thabboywannab

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded from OG Motorola Droid to Galaxy Nexus.

Apps added:

Light Flow - amazing and a must, had the free version for 5 minutes to test it out and instantly bought the pro version. It's EXACTLY what I had been looking for on my OG Droid for so long (I do get random glitches once in a blue moon where the light won't turn off after a notification but I just re-open the app and that resets it. Haven't noticed battery life issues).

Nova Launcher/Apex Launcher - I really like both, but after using them for a couple weeks I overall favor the Nova Launcher (probably going to buy the prime version soon). Both are excellent, I don't think anyone can say which is better, it's more preference and how each plays on your phone.

tTorrent - Torrent app that my OG Droid would probably not have been able to run...

Chrome Mobile - Some issues with lag while typing but still great, love the synching.

Splashtop Remote - Ran super laggy on my Moto Droid... awesome on my Gnex. Great for remote desktop control of your home PC.

NFC Task Launcher - Super easy to use, works great, allows you to write your own NFC tags with basic commands. NFC tags are pretty cheap from various websites (about $1) and are fun to use. Example tag I have in my car on first swipe it:
Turns wifi off
Turns bluetooth off
Sets media volume to almost max
Sets ringer to vibrate (I listen to audiobooks and can't have notifications interrupting the book)
Sets brightness to max (I have a car charger and it's annoying to wait for the light sensor to compensate the brightness when it's a sunny day)
Starts media playback

On 2nd swipe:
Sets ringer back to normal and high volume
Stops media playback
Sets brightness back to automatic

Google Wallet

Apps Deleted are harder to remember:

Widgetlocker - Still an awesome app but the main reason I bought it was to put a music widget on the lockscreen. That's part of ICS now.

Blink/Various notification LED modifying apps - Lightflow takes care of all that and is better than all of them combined.

ADW Launcher - Nova is awesome.

Neroon.

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Gekko if you just want to get rid of the Google search bar uninstall that app. Thats how I got it off my home screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance