Is there a difference between the Verizon and Sprint Nexus.

schannj

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more but there is a difference in the screen. The Verizon screen has a yellowish tint compared to the Sprint version which is set to much cooler color tones. I've paid many visits to various Verizon stores deciding whether or not to get the phone but was always turned off by the unnatural colors on the screen, especially when comparing to any of the Motorola phones.

When I walked into the Sprint store to check out their version of the Galaxy Nexus, it was immediately apparent that the screen is different with much better color contrast and brightness. I purchased the Sprint one and went back to the Verizon stores to compare. Just looking at a white background and you can immediately see the difference. Verizon version set to a warmer, but yellowish tint. Sprint version much cooler, and whiter screen that I prefer.

Both phones were set to the same brightness levels when comparing and I went to more than one Verizon store just to make sure, btw.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more but there is a difference in the screen. The Verizon screen has a yellowish tint compared to the Sprint version which is set to much cooler color tones. I've paid many visits to various Verizon stores deciding whether or not to get the phone but was always turned off by the unnatural colors on the screen, especially when comparing to any of the Motorola phones.

When I walked into the Sprint store to check out their version of the Galaxy Nexus, it was immediately apparent that the screen is different with much better color contrast and brightness. I purchased the Sprint one and went back to the Verizon stores to compare. Just looking at a white background and you can immediately see the difference. Verizon version set to a warmer, but yellowish tint. Sprint version much cooler, and whiter screen that I prefer.

Both phones were set to the same brightness levels when comparing and I went to more than one Verizon store just to make sure, btw.

The difference could be the different Android versions, 4.0.2 vs 4.0.4 and nothing to do with hardware.

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more but there is a difference in the screen. The Verizon screen has a yellowish tint compared to the Sprint version which is set to much cooler color tones. I

My stock Sprint GNex on 4.0.4 has a noticeable yellow tint; aside from that the screen is perfect with none of the reported screen imperfections/problems I've been reading about. It's clearly a software issue since you can use apps like Screen Adjuster to increase the blue levels which makes it look much more as it should or adjust the color temperature in custom ROMs (which I haven't done yet--running stock for now to get used to ICS).

Destoration

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The sprint forum is lacking a bit compared to the verizon gnex forum and I was wondering if most of the info there would apply to the sprint version just fine? I know certain roms or something may not but the tweaks etc should work about the same yes? Just don't want to clutter up this forum if answers are in the other one :p

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The sprint forum is lacking a bit compared to the verizon gnex forum and I was wondering if most of the info there would apply to the sprint version just fine? I know certain roms or something may not but the tweaks etc should work about the same yes? Just don't want to clutter up this forum if answers are in the other one :p

I think it's lacking since a lot of us on Sprint tried and returned the GNex in favor of getting an EVO LTE. The poor Samsung radios have been a frequent dealbreaker in an otherwise great device.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

You are correct with the rom scene. They are specific to the phone.
However with the mod stuff, I don't see why they wouldn't. Not themes, since they include framework and sytemui specific stuff but simple themed apks and zipthemer mods.
With any of this you could flash and if they don't work, you have your nandroid to fall back on, so any experimentation would be totally safe.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Screen tinting issues affect different, individual screens; some have blue tint, some purple, etc. If your screen has tint, return it. This is neither a Verizon nor Sprint nor Google issue, but rather a Samsung issue.

Reactions: icewater106

anon(578110)

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon, and I have a friend that has the Sprint. I mentioned to her the other day that I was annoyed that volume turns my screen on. She had no idea what I meant, because hers doesn't do that.

I looked into the problem and found there's some code in a file in system/usr/keylayout that maps the volume keys as "wake" buttons in addition to the power button. The Sprint version, and I'm not sure why, doesn't seem to have this bug "feature".

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon, and I have a friend that has the Sprint. I mentioned to her the other day that I was annoyed that volume turns my screen on. She had no idea what I meant, because hers doesn't do that.

I looked into the problem and found there's some code in a file in system/usr/keylayout that maps the volume keys as "wake" buttons in addition to the power button. The Sprint version, and I'm not sure why, doesn't seem to have this bug "feature".

I love that feature in roms, although I had no idea it did it stock.

cusinndzl

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
From my testing the Verizon Galaxy Nexus offers a little more battery life (probably because I have Verizon LTE and not Sprint LTE in my area.) Data speeds even with 3G are also a little bit faster. And the Verizon model also seemed to have a higher signal even when connecting to my WiFi network.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I hear no sim card in sprint different radio frequency then vzw every thing else same.

Sprint's LTE SIM is internal, Verizon's is right in the back and removable.

The tab on the battery cover

Frequencies

Official Google Wallet on the Sprint one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol