So, I got my shiny new GNex on April 20th (pre-order) and have been enjoying it immensely. Coming from the webOS world this is the closest I could get to that experience in the Android world without rooting and modding it. (can't root due to using Lotus Traveler for work)

One thing I really miss though is the ability to use the Touchstone charging pucks. I had two of them, one for home and another for work, and loved parking my Pre on them to charge while I worked. Now, like many of you I saw the really cool thread on modding the GNex to put the Palm charging rings into it. This is something I really want to do, But I don't want to risk voiding my warranty. Also, I'd like to put a case onto my phone to protect it, and I know that putting any case on the phone will prevent the rings from working.

So I was thinking about this, and it hit me; Why not put the charging rings into the CASE and then use the copper tape to contact the dock ports from the outside using the pressure of the case to hold them tight against the phone?

I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work, and when I get some spare time (trying to sell my house right now, crazy busy!) I'm going to try it out. but in the meantime I thought I'd share the idea for those who might want to try it out. Of course, this is assuming you are using a thin, hardshell case. I doubt an Otterbox style case with the rubber sheath would work (too thick) and a softshell case would be too soft. So something like a Body Glove sheath case or one of the other thin hard cases should work.

Can anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't work?
    04-30-2012 08:34 AM
    That is exactly what I did with soft rubber case. it is working great
    04-30-2012 09:10 AM
    That is exactly what I did with soft rubber case. it is working great
    You didn't have any issues with the soft case? That's interesting and a bit unexpected. I would have thought having to stretch the case over the GNex would cause the rings to become unseated and the copper tape to dislodge. Glad to see it worked for you.

Got any photos?
    04-30-2012 09:12 AM
    04-30-2012 10:12 AM
    04-30-2012 10:22 AM
    Yes. This is the thread I referenced in my comment. I take it you didn't read my comment before posting? Tsk tsk *finger wag*. Naughty poster. No cookie. (just kidding!)
    04-30-2012 11:04 AM

Ahh. Clearly, I'm not the only one to have thought of this. Nice!
    04-30-2012 11:05 AM
    You didn't have any issues with the soft case? That's interesting and a bit unexpected. I would have thought having to stretch the case over the GNex would cause the rings to become unseated and the copper tape to dislodge. Glad to see it worked for you.

Got any photos?
    The case i used is the Diztronic Matte Back Black Flexible *Revision 3* TPU Case.

I did put some 3M tape under the copper on the case to make a good contact. I have not had any problems with the coil moving, the original palm tape and some extra electrical tape are holding it very well.

I used 7 1/4" neodymium magnets to hold the case to the puck. The rubber of the case also helps it grip to the touchstone.

Also using the franco kernal for AC charging on the touchstone

I am happy we can still use the touchstones, I am coming from the Pre 2 to the Gnex
    04-30-2012 05:18 PM
    Hey Bishounen,
    I'm rooted and also using Lotus Notes Traveler no problem.
    05-01-2012 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD