Galaxy Nexus getting way too hot!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Please tell this is isolated to just me and it not be a device wide issue. After using my G'nex for a few weeks now, I've noticed that the top part of the phone around the speaker and front camera getting hot to the point of actual discomfort. I was using Mobile data and GPS when it first got that hot and has gotten to that point a couple of more times. It seems I could probably fry a egg on this thing when that happens. :p Anyway I have to wait till tomorrow to take it to Sprint because of work but was wanting to see if anyone else's is experiencing this problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes I noticed this, too. I use my phone alot so I just have to put it down for a few or actually put in front of a fan. My Evo and my Nexus S did the same so I'm used to it. I use the headset to talk on the phone because the top part of the phone does get hot.

Sent from Alexis Nexus

VMdoug

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Happens to mine too. Seems to only happen when using 3G and worse when the signal is weak. Happened with my Motorola Photon as well.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine has gotten warm but so far nothing close to my old Epic. I used the GPS quite a bit this last weekend too and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I would say as another poster said I've probably noticed it be a little warmer when the 3g signal isn't all that great.

Sent from the Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk 2

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Happens to mine too. Seems to only happen when using 3G and worse when the signal is weak. Happened with my Motorola Photon as well.

Good to see it's not just the phone (GNEX). I have not had this issue with either my GNEX or my Photon 4G as well.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Normal and it get up to over 120. Once it hits 120 it will stop charging till it cools down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...I know its normal for these things to get warm while using for an extended period of time, but definitely shouldn't be getting this hot. I'm on my way to a Sprint store now. Will report back what happens. :)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
How hot is it getting? I bet sprint will exchange it and your replacement will get just as hot. it is the way of the phone.
Hmm...I know its normal for these things to get warm while using for an extended period of time, but definitely shouldn't be getting this hot. I'm on my way to a Sprint store now. Will report back what happens. :)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How hot is it getting? I bet sprint will exchange it and your replacement will get just as hot. It is the way of the phone.

Just got it back from the repair center. Turns out it was a bad battery, he said it flat out failed their test. He did mention that it is that or could be one other issue, but he didn't say what. I'll be receiving my new battery in a couple of days. He told me to keep using the phone as normal and we'll go from there. :)

Last edited:

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
When I am in a low signal area my phone gets so hot it is almost uncomfortable to hold.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using Tapatalk 2

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
When I am in a low signal area my phone gets so hot it is almost uncomfortable to hold.

You could be having the same battery issue I was. I can already feel this thing warming up with the loaner battery, but no where near as hot. He did say if it didn't turn out to be the battery completely, it is probably a hardware issue in the internals. Gonna run it for a few days and see how it goes. Also, if i do have to end up with a new device its no worries as I'm almost fully converted over to the cloud. :cool:

Reno Skyy

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My gnex gets hot to when I have 1 or 2 bars but ever sence I added nightly Franco kernel it doesn't get hot or as hot as before

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why didn't they just swap batteries there. They keep a stock there.
Just got it back from the repair center. Turns out it was a bad battery, he said it flat out failed their test. He did mention that it is that or could be one other issue, but he didn't say what. I'll be receiving my new battery in a couple of days. He told me to keep using the phone as normal and we'll go from there. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Why didn't they just swap batteries there. They keep a stock there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

That I couldn't tell you. :confused: Maybe it's protocol. I just hope a new battery fixes the problem...if not, perhaps a new device. :)

R1der2002

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was on sprint. I kept 3 of my 4 lines and switched to att with my main line and so far this 3g feels faster than my wimax was on my old evo, Im loveing my new One x it is awesome and doesnt get nearly as hot

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed since I got the loner battery I don't think it's getting as hot. Though it does make me wonder sometimes because it'll still pretty hot, hopefully when they get my replacement battery in they can Dee if I have a hardware issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37