Do you have any regrets?

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm looking forward to picking up a GNex, EVO or S3 in the beginning of July. Now, since the Nexus was released on Sprint people make the argument of the outdated hardware. I would like to know how the phone has been for you and if you regret not waiting for the EVO or S3. Thanks Guys.

.The Word Alive.

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I still love my GNex. I have no interest in the Evo or the S3. Pure android is perfect to me never switching to a phone without it. I don't feel like the hardware is outdated at all. My phone has been fast since day 1. No regrets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Reno Skyy

egburr

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how it compares to the S3 or Evo, but after spending two years on the HTC Hero, my GNex is blazing fast. I have no regrets at all about getting it.

tamaownsyou

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
No regrets. I had the EVO 4G LTE, and tried it out for a week. Ended up returning it to get the GNex. It's a great phone hardware-wise, but I couldn't handle Sense's quirks and oddities.

Stock Android is the way to go, IMO. :)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm looking forward to picking up a GNex, EVO or S3 in the beginning of July. Now, since the Nexus was released on Sprint people make the argument of the outdated hardware. I would like to know how the phone has been for you and if you regret not waiting for the EVO or S3. Thanks Guys.

I was in the same boat till yesterday.
Here's what I found.

EVO LTE
Pros:
  • Gorgeous display
  • Superb camera
  • Simultaneous voice/data even over 3g
  • microSD
  • MAP profile allow Bluetooth transfer of sms/Email to car BT system (if supported by car)
Cons:
  • Non removable battery
  • Multitasking issue
  • Sense bloat (may be a pro for some)
  • Updates - not sure when HTC will push the updates out

S3
Pros
  • Superb camera
  • microSD
Cons:
  • Samsung UI bloat (may be a pro for some)
  • Updates - not sure when Samsung will push the updates out
  • Uncertain about quality of radio/GPS - samsung history isn't perfect :)

Nexus
Pros
  • Hopefully timely updates
  • No Custom UI forced
  • Removable battery
Cons:
  • No microSD
  • MAP profile not supported - prevents allow Bluetooth transfer of SMS/Email to car BT system (if supported by car). Voice is streamed fine
  • dialer is not a smart dialer (can't type name of contact on phone dialer screen) - WTH?

I finally switched to a Galaxy Nexus - Bought it on CL at less than contract price - perfect condition. The following reasons why I didn't want to pay the higher price for EVO LTE or S3. I'm sure that the prices on the other devices would fall soon, but at this time, the EVO LTE is going for about double of what I paid on CL.

• I personally liked the AMOLED screen more than the LCD screen on the HTCs.
  • 32GB storage (along with cloud storage - google/amazon music, dropbox/box/drive) is enough for me
  • I like the stock nexus look and the ease of rooting
  • Hopeful for more timely updates (despite this being CDMA instead of GSM)

If money were not a concern, I'd suggest waiting for the S3. The multitasking issue on the EVO was the biggest issue for me (tried it in store and on friend's device - it is an issue)

Last edited:

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I was really looking for the EVO LTE, but with the customs delay and me being without a phone I had to get the Galaxy Nexus (it was second on my list anyways). But I do love my Nexus, kinda wish I got to check out the EVO before I got my Nexus. I was one of the OG EVO 4G owners too.

Seauxcrazy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Had SOME regrets, just because I like new hardware and gadgets, but I have no complaints about this phone. Getting good battery life (enough for my needs) and smooth as butter running Franco Linaro kernel.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I really can't complain at all about my Nexus other than wishing Samsung / Google would have made the 2100mah battery the stock battery for the device. I never understood the point of the 1850mah and then offering a 2100mah as an extended battery. I also wish Sprint would have offered the 2100mah with their cover.

As for the Nexus, I really like ICS the way Google made it. The software is what we use on the phone more than anything and to me makes a bigger difference over a slightly faster processor. Throw in a launcher like nova or apex or any other you like and you really get a great ICS experience in my opinion. This phone is plenty powerful to fulfill my needs. I will be sticking with the Nexus line of phones from now on.

To be fair I wanted the Evo LTE because of the better hardware and figured I could just put CM9 on it and be happy, the S3 had not been announced but I knew that I wasn't going the Touchwiz Samsung route again regardless. My Epic failed, I needed a phone and the Nexus just came out on Sprint so my gut told me just get the phone I originally wanted when it was announced, who cares if it's 6 months old.

I think my dream phone right now would have been the Evo LTE or One X coming with the Nexus software. Unfortunately that will never happen and I kinda grew tired of the custom rom thing. Sometimes you just need your phone to work. I do give a lot of credit to some of the rom builders as they make great stuff and can be very helpful.

I did get to use an Evo LTE for about a week on and off recently and it's a great phone. Great camera and some other nice things but I just kept thinking how sense was not something I like compared to Google ICS. Sure I could live with it, but I thankfully have a choice not too.

Sent via my Galaxy Nexus
60% of the time, It works every time!