No AOSP support for sprint galaxy nexus!

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
C'mon Sprint, why sell it as a pure Google device if it is not an AOSP device? This is making me want to leave Sprint for a GSM carrier, but I also wanna stay for the unlimited data.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Maybe I should look into that rooting thing that you crazy kids have been talking about. :p

I may wait and see what CM10 looks like in a few weeks.

Mav. :cool:

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Maybe I should look into that rooting thing that you crazy kids have been talking about. :p

I may wait and see what CM10 looks like in a few weeks.

Mav. :cool:

CM10 should be awesome. CM9 was great but I liked AOKP better because you can change the softkeys colors and add more buttons, very easily.

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I read the article too. I am going to be jumping to a GSM device myself. Screw Sprint. I'm done. I've held out waiting for their network to be as it should be, but they keep dragging their feet. Also, now, no AOSP. I want a device wherein when Google releases something, I get it day 1. Not months later. I'm soon to go into Android development, and I will not play around with half-baked carriers that screw with people, false advertise, etc. Done with Sprint!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I read the article too. I am going to be jumping to a GSM device myself. Screw Sprint. I'm done. I've held out waiting for their network to be as it should be, but they keep dragging their feet. Also, now, no AOSP. I want a device wherein when Google releases something, I get it day 1. Not months later. I'm soon to go into Android development, and I will not play around with half-baked carriers that screw with people, false advertise, etc. Done with Sprint!

I have an upgrade and I was about to get the Gnex Friday till' I read the article. I must say that I am inclined to agree with you.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
That article isn't going to make me wanna switch to a GSM carrier that gives me less reception (in my area) for more money per month. Does it suck that the Sprint GNex isn't part of AOSP support? Sure does. Can we still get sweet ROMs to make up for that? Sure can.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
That article isn't going to make me wanna switch to a GSM carrier that gives me less reception (in my area) for more money per month. Does it suck that the Sprint GNex isn't part of AOSP support? Sure does. Can we still get sweet ROMs to make up for that? Sure can.

Not really, there will still be stuff that doesn't work, like MMS. Because we're still using ICS radios.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm with you on that. I knew I should have bought the Nexus from the Play Store. But I wanted to keep my unlimited. I will give Sprint a chance and see what happens. If they F this up then I'm going the GSM route and get the next Nexus straight from Google this fall.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I too will be leaving after 9 years if Sprint refuses to get its act together. It would also be nice if Google would apply stronger pressure on these greedy carriers. I view flashing custom ROMs as more a play thing given that they are generally buggy and or incomplete. I want a daily driver that works, and one that also receives timely updates, which is primarily why I decided on the Galaxy Nexus. That shouldn't be too much to ask considering how much I pay Sprint every month. Soon Sprint will only have EVO fan boys and flip phone hold-outs as customers.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I think we (myself included) might be over-reacting. The Nexus S 4G was never an ASOP supported device. The GNex wasn't when it came out on ICS (i.e. you knew this when you bought it) and is still isn't with JB. That doesn't mean that JB won't come. But it can't be called ASOP because you can't build it from source; you never could.

Now don't get me wrong, it's impressive that Verizon gave Google their propritary stuff to get the Toro Nexus back into ASOP. I'd love to see Sprint do that too. And actually Sprint is improving. They just did the same this with the Nexus S 4G and it's an ASOP device now. It might happen with the GNex or it might not, but even if it doesn't, all that means is that things will stay the way they have always been.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I think people are acting like they are brand new to Sprint. Had you done your research you'd know gsm Nexus devices will always beat cdma devices to updates. You should have known this prior to getting the galaxy Nexus. I too have this device but I'm not upset because I knew this going in. The sense of entitlement some of you show is ridiculous. Either be patient or leave. It's that simple. I've got faith in Sprint and what they stand for. Once network vision completes there will be nothing stopping them. They already have the best device line up out there. And the network improvements are on the way.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've got faith in Sprint and what they stand for. Once network vision completes there will be nothing stopping them. They already have the best device line up out there. And the network improvements are on the way.

*Giggle*

Edit: I've been with Sprint for over 10 years - they are ok. But I wouldn't go to the extent of saying that I have faith in them or what they stand for. They are in this for making money. That is it. As ANY cellphone provider (or retail industry) should be.

Network vision? Sure - it will be better than what they currently have - at least for the folks in major metropolitan cities. For folks outside of the big cities? (or folks who travel frequently?) Umm.... not so much.

The fact still remains - Sprint has really botched up the release of the software updates (especially ICS) for their phones. They used to be good about timely updates, but not this time.

Edit 2: Regarding the delayed updates for the CDMA Nexus devices - sure, you and I (who frequent these forums) know that there is a delay. Show me one place on Sprint's site where they clarify that. They only state "pure google device" or other marketing crap like that. Go to a Sprint store and ask a rep about updates to Nexus device and they will almost certainly tell you that updates to all Nexus devices are from google and VERY quick. None of these guys will tell you about the delayed updates.

It is a "NEXUS" device. If Sprint is going to be a source of delays for updates to a Nexus device, it really shouldn't even be called Nexus (In my opinion) - or at least add fine print that states that updates to CDMA nexus devices have nothing to do with when google releases updates to other Nexus devices. "Either be patient or leave." <-- the folks who buy a Nexus device are ones who are NOT patient - who want updated software as soon as it is released without carriers delaying it.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
*Giggle*

Edit: I've been with Sprint for over 10 years - they are ok. But I wouldn't go to the extent of saying that I have faith in them or what they stand for. They are in this for making money. That is it. As ANY cellphone provider (or retail industry) should be.

Network vision? Sure - it will be better than what they currently have - at least for the folks in major metropolitan cities. For folks outside of the big cities? (or folks who travel frequently?) Umm.... not so much.

The fact still remains - Sprint has really botched up the release of the software updates (especially ICS) for their phones. They used to be good about timely updates, but not this time.

Edit 2: Regarding the delayed updates for the CDMA Nexus devices - sure, you and I (who frequent these forums) know that there is a delay. Show me one place on Sprint's site where they clarify that. They only state "pure google device" or other marketing crap like that. Go to a Sprint store and ask a rep about updates to Nexus device and they will almost certainly tell you that updates to all Nexus devices are from google and VERY quick. None of these guys will tell you about the delayed updates.

It is a "NEXUS" device. If Sprint is going to be a source of delays for updates to a Nexus device, it really shouldn't even be called Nexus (In my opinion) - or at least add fine print that states that updates to CDMA nexus devices have nothing to do with when google releases updates to other Nexus devices. "Either be patient or leave." <-- the folks who buy a Nexus device are ones who are NOT patient - who want updated software as soon as it is released without carriers delaying it.

The folks who buy Nexus devices and want updates now should have done their research. Had they done that they would know updates for a cdma Nexus aren't going to come immediately. What is the point in being upset? And I will never understand why people cry about device updates and point the finger at a particular carrier. You all act like Sprint is the only carrier with delayed updates. People always need someone to blame. At one point it was Samsung. It's always something with you people. I guess I'm too nonchalant. As long as my phone works I'm good.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The folks who buy Nexus devices and want updates now should have done their research. Had they done that they would know updates for a cdma Nexus aren't going to come immediately. What is the point in being upset? And I will never understand why people cry about device updates and point the finger at a particular carrier. You all act like Sprint is the only carrier with delayed updates. People always need someone to blame. At one point it was Samsung. It's always something with you people. I guess I'm too nonchalant. As long as my phone works I'm good.

The only one I see crying here is you.

Reactions: Kamin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon