Does anybody elss wjsh Google would make an attempt at HP/Palms p

ferriskeanu#AC

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
One issue that I have with the Motorola patents is they are for the most part "FRAND" Patents. I just don't believe they will work well and have already been shown not to. In fact there has been much said by judges etc on this.

I believe the best defense is Palms Patent Portfolio. Many software and hardware related patents. And arguably the KING of them all essentially being a patent on the "smartphone". I personally have always been a big fan of Palm. And to this day bieve it to be the best OS in many ways...unfortunately they were slow to produce the hardware and get a grip on the market. But what a great community just like this one. (sorry... went a bit off topic)...........

I researched their many patents recently as I have before. And it is the Portfolio in my eyes that could end this litigation nightmare. FRAND patents aren't a good defense... And I am betting those patents could be bought for a steal when you consider the grand scale of things.

In the end I believe that software patent law will be changing in the not so distant future. But till then I think this could be one of the best purchases Google ever made even if HP wanted compensation exceeding what they paid for Motorola. If HP even would consider selling it...

What do you think?.. What HP/Palm patents that you are aware of that could be used?... Please share and look over HP/Palms patents.. I am exhausted by Apple which I think could do well without all the litigation...don't you?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Palm's patent portfolio probably isn't up for sale.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ferriskeanu#AC

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Palm's patent portfolio probably isn't up for sale.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I haven't heard that it was up for sale although there is the occasional rumor. However to some degree anything is for sale. And this portfolio eclipses Motorolas portfolio because they aren't so FRAND heavy...

Examiner19

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Does anybody elss wjsh Google would make an attempt at HP/Pal

I haven't heard that it was up for sale although there is the occasional rumor. However to some degree anything is for sale. And this portfolio eclipses Motorolas portfolio because they aren't so FRAND heavy...

I have thought the same thing for some time. I've heard a few patent issues recently (e.g. linking a phone number in an email to the dialer) that I know Palm had way back when on my PalmOS Treo.

ferriskeanu#AC

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I have thought the same thing for some time. I've heard a few patent issues recently (e.g. linking a phone number in an email to the dialer) that I know Palm had way back when on my PalmOS Treo.

Currently HTC is using some patents they bought from HP. And with the new patent that Apple was granted yesterday related to interface etc on a touchscreen Google needs to look at more options than the FRAND patents...

ferriskeanu#AC

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

My biggest concern is not just Android... But how all this litigation instead of cross licensing may impact consumers...not to mention stifling innovation. .

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Anything can be bought it just depends if Google is willing to pay HP what they would want

ferriskeanu#AC

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Anything can be bought it just depends if Google is willing to pay HP what they would want

From what I have read in countless articles is that HP/Palms patent portfolio is not worth much more than what HP bought it for and that Meg Whitman is open to the discussion of selling...and looking at the grand scale of things it is the right choice even if Google paid somewhere between what HP paid and what Google paid for Motorola. I believe that in the coming years the software patent system will change from where it is currently by forcing licensing of patents by all parties or limiting the time that software patents can be used strictly by the owner of said patent.. After posting this I noticed an article on HTC having licensed/bought a few HP/Palm patents to use now... Not just in defense.. but to be utilized now..if little ole HTC can purchase a few patents with their meager market share then Google can with there capitol..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21