09-11-2012 08:40 AM
133 1234 ...
tools
    If it all comes down as we hope, this is a pretty shrewd move by Sprint with the new iPhone coming in the next couple of weeks.

Mav.

Sent with Apple's permission on my Galaxy Nexus.
    Lol...this isnt going to hurt the iPhone sales. 90% of consumers dont even know what Jelly Bean is.
    09-05-2012 10:50 PM
    Well I've checked and nothing so far 2am eastern time. Anyone have any luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    09-06-2012 01:05 AM
    Well I've checked and nothing so far 2am eastern time. Anyone have any luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    It could probably take a little while yet. I mean Google is out of California where it is still technically Wednesday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-06-2012 01:07 AM
    According to the notification the user cannot initiate the upgrade, so I suspect we have to wait.
    09-06-2012 06:55 AM
    According to the notification the user cannot initiate the upgrade, so I suspect we have to wait.
    Right. We can't go to the sprint/google/samsung pages and download it manually. But that won't stop us from mashing the "check update" button until it shows up
    09-06-2012 07:04 AM
    I would suspect it won't be long after it rolls out that someone will have the direct download link from Google's OTA available to get the update.zip to flash via stock recovery.
    09-06-2012 07:06 AM
    I've been checking every 30 minutes since 1AM Central time, LOL.

Feel like a kid on Christmas morning, knowing Santa already came but Mom says you can't leave your room until 8AM,LOL.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-06-2012 07:09 AM
    This is exciting. I just got an ASUS TF-300 tablet last night and I'm familiarizing myself with Jellybean. With 4.1, Android has come of age. It's more intuitive and flexible. Google Now can be annoying, but it can effectively replace sports scoreboard apps you use (including Google's vintage 2010 Scoreboard app which I still use).
    09-06-2012 07:11 AM
    As a former Palm Pre user this will be my first ever significant OTA update on Android. (Not counting the 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 patch) Any recommendations as far as backing things up, or should this be pretty painless? (As I'm not rooted I don't have one of the more extensive backup solutions. I'm just using Dropbox and Dropsync to keep my photos, videos, .apks and other files backed up.)
    09-06-2012 07:27 AM
    As a former Palm Pre user this will be my first ever significant OTA update on Android. (Not counting the 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 patch) Any recommendations as far as backing things up, or should this be pretty painless? (As I'm not rooted I don't have one of the more extensive backup solutions. I'm just using Dropbox and Dropsync to keep my photos, videos, .apks and other files backed up.)
    That should be fine, just make sure your contacts and backed up to Google as well. Though I'm not sure if the update wipes the phone before installing itself.

09-06-2012 07:30 AM
    That should be fine, just make sure your contacts and backed up to Google as well. Though I'm not sure if the update wipes the phone before installing itself.

I enter all my contacts through Gmail's interface anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope it doesn't wipe the phone though. Having to wipe is the primary reason I'm not rooted. It would suck if the normal OTA method wipes it as well.
    09-06-2012 07:42 AM
    Lol...this isnt going to hurt the iPhone sales. 90% of consumers dont even know what Jelly Bean is.
    Off topic but that is nowhere near the point I was trying to make.
    I am sure Sprint wants to keep their phones as up to date as possible to make them just as desirable to the "man on the street" who walks in looking to buy a phone.
    Sprint is losing their butt on subsidized iPhones and if someone is going back and forth on which to get, telling them that "The Galaxy Nexus is running the latest and greatest software version right now" could sway their purchase to a phone that Sprint may actually be able to make money on.
    Just my $.02

Mav.
    09-06-2012 08:36 AM
    Why is California 3 hours behind me?!?!?!?

09-06-2012 08:37 AM

It doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    CaMelGuY1337 likes this.
    09-06-2012 08:43 AM
    Off topic but that is nowhere near the point I was trying to make.
    I am sure Sprint wants to keep their phones as up to date as possible to make them just as desirable to the "man on the street" who walks in looking to buy a phone.
    Sprint is losing their butt on subsidized iPhones and if someone is going back and forth on which to get, telling them that "The Galaxy Nexus is running the latest and greatest software version right now" could sway their purchase to a phone that Sprint may actually be able to make money on.
    Just my $.02

Mav.
    None of the guys I know that work for Sprint try to sell people an iPhone. It's all about Android around here.

09-06-2012 08:43 AM
    None of the guys I know that work for Sprint try to sell people an iPhone. It's all about Android around here.

Yeah that tried to get my fiancee on an Epic. Wasn't going to allow that.

09-06-2012 08:47 AM
    Can anyone confirm that the ota will wipe the device?

09-06-2012 08:47 AM

OTAs don't wipe. That would be a nightmare for carriers and Google.

CaMelGuY1337 and MERCDROID like this.
    09-06-2012 08:55 AM
    Not at all. I have seen two OTA Jellybean updates now (one phone, one tablet) and the update is fast and smooth. It took about 15 minutes to download and run over wi-fi.
    09-06-2012 08:57 AM
    So far as I have seen, no official OTA has ever wiped a device.

Usually if it would cause a wipe because they need to repartition the device, you get the official statement that

"We will not be doing an update of X device to Y version of Android because it will negatively affect user experience"

Wiping your device and losing all your pictures can be seen a negatively affecting your experience. They do this because saying it would cause a repartition of the memory ont he device to make room for the larger OS would be way too technical for 99% of users.

-frank
    09-06-2012 10:00 AM
    So anyone see anything out there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    09-06-2012 10:01 AM
    Nada here. East Coast.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    09-06-2012 10:10 AM
    "OTA DOESN'T WIPE DEVICE!!!"

Wipes brow off...that's a relief. Thanks guys.

09-06-2012 10:10 AM
    So anyone see anything out there

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Not yet. Though Google's office probably opened a few minutes ago.

09-06-2012 10:11 AM
    Yeah that tried to get my fiancee on an Epic. Wasn't going to allow that.

That's what I'm talking about man. :beer: for you.

09-06-2012 10:19 AM
133 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD