[Unconfirmed] Sprint JB update this Thursday

P. Doeboy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Should I leave my phone on 3g or wifi to get this update the fastest?

High five to the epic 4g users. Cheers to the palm pre users.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Should I leave my phone on 3g or wifi to get this update the fastest?

High five to the epic 4g users. Cheers to the palm pre users.

Honestly, that depends on what you mean. If you're talking about downloading the update faster, then wifi. If you're talking about Sprint sending you the update sooner then it doesn't matter. OTA's normally roll out in waves as not to overload the servers. Hope that helps. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If it all comes down as we hope, this is a pretty shrewd move by Sprint with the new iPhone coming in the next couple of weeks.

Mav. :cool:

Sent with Apple's permission on my Galaxy Nexus.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
So I just went back to stock. I dont have to relock my bootloader to get the update right? I should still be able to update OTA even though my bootloader is unlocked, right?

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
If it all comes down as we hope, this is a pretty shrewd move by Sprint with the new iPhone coming in the next couple of weeks.

Sent with Apple's permission on my Galaxy Nexus.

Lol...this isnt going to hurt the iPhone sales. 90% of consumers dont even know what Jelly Bean is.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I've checked and nothing so far 2am eastern time. Anyone have any luck

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I've checked and nothing so far 2am eastern time. Anyone have any luck

It could probably take a little while yet. I mean Google is out of California where it is still technically Wednesday.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
According to the notification the user cannot initiate the upgrade, so I suspect we have to wait.

Right. We can't go to the sprint/google/samsung pages and download it manually. But that won't stop us from mashing the "check update" button until it shows up ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would suspect it won't be long after it rolls out that someone will have the direct download link from Google's OTA available to get the update.zip to flash via stock recovery.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been checking every 30 minutes since 1AM Central time, LOL.

Feel like a kid on Christmas morning, knowing Santa already came but Mom says you can't leave your room until 8AM,LOL.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Dhalgren

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
This is exciting. I just got an ASUS TF-300 tablet last night and I'm familiarizing myself with Jellybean. With 4.1, Android has come of age. It's more intuitive and flexible. Google Now can be annoying, but it can effectively replace sports scoreboard apps you use (including Google's vintage 2010 Scoreboard app which I still use).

Last edited:

Bishounen

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
As a former Palm Pre user this will be my first ever significant OTA update on Android. (Not counting the 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 patch) Any recommendations as far as backing things up, or should this be pretty painless? (As I'm not rooted I don't have one of the more extensive backup solutions. I'm just using Dropbox and Dropsync to keep my photos, videos, .apks and other files backed up.)

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As a former Palm Pre user this will be my first ever significant OTA update on Android. (Not counting the 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 patch) Any recommendations as far as backing things up, or should this be pretty painless? (As I'm not rooted I don't have one of the more extensive backup solutions. I'm just using Dropbox and Dropsync to keep my photos, videos, .apks and other files backed up.)

That should be fine, just make sure your contacts and backed up to Google as well. Though I'm not sure if the update wipes the phone before installing itself.

Bishounen

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
That should be fine, just make sure your contacts and backed up to Google as well. Though I'm not sure if the update wipes the phone before installing itself.

I enter all my contacts through Gmail's interface anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope it doesn't wipe the phone though. Having to wipe is the primary reason I'm not rooted. It would suck if the normal OTA method wipes it as well. :(

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol...this isnt going to hurt the iPhone sales. 90% of consumers dont even know what Jelly Bean is.

Off topic but that is nowhere near the point I was trying to make.
I am sure Sprint wants to keep their phones as up to date as possible to make them just as desirable to the "man on the street" who walks in looking to buy a phone.
Sprint is losing their butt on subsidized iPhones and if someone is going back and forth on which to get, telling them that "The Galaxy Nexus is running the latest and greatest software version right now" could sway their purchase to a phone that Sprint may actually be able to make money on.
Just my $.02

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Off topic but that is nowhere near the point I was trying to make.
I am sure Sprint wants to keep their phones as up to date as possible to make them just as desirable to the "man on the street" who walks in looking to buy a phone.
Sprint is losing their butt on subsidized iPhones and if someone is going back and forth on which to get, telling them that "The Galaxy Nexus is running the latest and greatest software version right now" could sway their purchase to a phone that Sprint may actually be able to make money on.
Just my $.02

None of the guys I know that work for Sprint try to sell people an iPhone. It's all about Android around here. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay